Dyna Plug - no so dynomite

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I picked up a really small nail, almost like one you would use in putting together a picture frame, in my rear tire the other day. So today I bought a Dyna Plug to try out. I figured this would be perfect since it was such a small nail.

However, after installing the plug the tire is still leaking air. Here's what I did. I worked the plug into the tire, which was flat at the time (bike on center stand). I pumped up the tire to maybe 20 to 30 pounds before pulling out the plug tool, then topped it off up to 40.

Do you think it is possible I somehow didn't follow the nail hole channel? I would not believe I could force a new hole but I don't know what other explanation there might be.

So I think I need to pull the tire and try a patch. Recommendations on patches?

Thanks,
Tom

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I too have a Dyna Plug kit, although I have never had the opportunity to use it. If I remember and understand correctly, you need to insert the plug with the tire inflated. I could imagine that when the tire is flat, the hole is not as straight as when it was when the nail entered. Just a guess.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I almost bought one of those kits on sale now at a locale MC gear store. They looked a little small so I sidn't get it but I did just find this video...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeVYI7CL3sA"]Dynaplug® Tire Repair - Adding a second plug to a puncture - YouTube[/ame]

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In addition to trepetti's comment I'd think you'd have a heck of time getting a plug into a flat tire.

So, its the "Only leak" and its from the same hole/plug as where you patched it?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I picked up a really small nail, almost like one you would use in putting together a picture frame, in my rear tire the other day. So today I bought a Dyna Plug to try out. I figured this would be perfect since it was such a small nail.

However, after installing the plug the tire is still leaking air. Here's what I did. I worked the plug into the tire, which was flat at the time (bike on center stand). I pumped up the tire to maybe 20 to 30 pounds before pulling out the plug tool, then topped it off up to 40.

Do you think it is possible I somehow didn't follow the nail hole channel? I would not believe I could force a new hole but I don't know what other explanation there might be.

So I think I need to pull the tire and try a patch. Recommendations on patches?

Thanks,
Tom

Was the end of the plug sticking out? Did you have to trim it down or did the whole thing go inside the tire?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking you could have had a nail in your tire for a long time, wasn't actually the culprit of your recent flat. You see the nail and assume that it's the cause, when actually there is a different hole somewhere else and the nail was innocuously chilling in your tire.

Fill the tire. Rub soapy water all over it and look for bubbles.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Also get some of that rubber cement stuff after you plug it (it needs to have a little air in it and not flat. And burn the plug makes for a better seal.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I too have a Dyna Plug kit, although I have never had the opportunity to use it. If I remember and understand correctly, you need to insert the plug with the tire inflated. I could imagine that when the tire is flat, the hole is not as straight as when it was when the nail entered. Just a guess.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

lol insert it when it is inflated? How do you do that if the tire is already flat because it has a hole in it?

This works fine, is proven to work and is super cheap:

2010101509100641556_lrg.jpg

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Yes, I believe this is the only hole in the tire.

Although I inserted the plug while the tire was down, I did inflate before pulling out the tool. And yes I have plenty of the plug sticking out; haven't bothered to trim it yet.

The air was bubbling from immediately around the Dyna plug itself; at least that is what it looked like.

To ask again, any thoughts as to whether I could possibly have forced the plug to take a different route through the tire? That's my best theory at this point. Although I will say I did a quick check on the tire this morning and it was still hard. Didn't have time to put a gauge on it but it is possible it eventually sealed up.

I will post an update after I have had a chance to check this out more in-depth.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Yes, I believe this is the only hole in the tire.

Although I inserted the plug while the tire was down, I did inflate before pulling out the tool. And yes I have plenty of the plug sticking out; haven't bothered to trim it yet.

The air was bubbling from immediately around the Dyna plug itself; at least that is what it looked like.

To ask again, any thoughts as to whether I could possibly have forced the plug to take a different route through the tire? That's my best theory at this point. Although I will say I did a quick check on the tire this morning and it was still hard. Didn't have time to put a gauge on it but it is possible it eventually sealed up.

I will post an update after I have had a chance to check this out more in-depth.

If in doubt and you want a permanent fix, a combo patch plug works best. Except, you have to remove the tire from the rim, prep it etc. Kind of a PIA but it won't let loose and can't spit out. If you have a bunch of miles left of the tire, might be worth your effort.

Steelman 1/8" combo patch / plug:
Steelman 1/8" Patch/Plug Combo Kit - STL-JSG381 - STANDARD

BTW, I carry the Dyna plug kit under my seat and have used the Slime kit(still have it). Depending on the size of the hole, depends on what I use. The Slime kit requires you to ream a MUCH larger hole than you already have (tearing up cords) but does work well at sealing.

Last edited: