Dunlop tire age - OE from an '07 FZ6?

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Dunlop Sportmax Q2 up front and a Metzeler Z6 in back on my '07 FZ6 purchased used in February 2013.

My mechanic at the time noted that the Metzeler was old -- the DOT number is 3908, so it's at least 5 years old and looking worn (see attached).

View attachment 49409
View attachment 49410

I thought the Dunlop was pretty old too -- possibly OE. But now I'm not too sure. Check the photos below.

View attachment 49411
View attachment 49412

I couldn't tell, but the DOT number on that tire appears to be 2111 - making it about 2 years old. The tread is definitely better than the Metzeler, but I swore the Dunlop was just as old.

Am I reading the wrong number?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
27th week of 2004. :)

Tire_Date_Code.jpg

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
They don't look dry rotted, but they might still be too old to ride. The production date stamp is a good guide, as well as info on how they were stored/used over the years.

Ultimately it will come down to feel and confidence whether you want to keep them or not, as an older tire gets harder and less sticky, so it can be dangerous that way. They also get more sensitive to underinflation. Things to keep in mind if you decide to keep 'em.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
They don't look dry rotted, but they might still be too old to ride. The production date stamp is a good guide, as well as info on how they were stored/used over the years.

Ultimately it will come down to feel and confidence whether you want to keep them or not, as an older tire gets harder and less sticky, so it can be dangerous that way. They also get more sensitive to underinflation. Things to keep in mind if you decide to keep 'em.

Yeah -- I'm noticing the front tire (Dunlop) is really hard as a rock when properly inflated to 33psi (from the swing arm tire label). I wasn't sure about its age, though, after I found that date stamp showing 2111. Seems to me to be OE.

nthdegreeburns

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
With this much uncertainty...your life is worth more than to risk it on questionable tires!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With this much uncertainty...your life is worth more than to risk it on questionable tires!

Yep. Think of all the money we spend on what we 'want'. You might get lucky on the old tire, but luck can't last a lifetime (unless you die young).

Get a nice new matched-set of tires. The bike will perform like new.:thumbup:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with what's said - just cause the tire is only 2 years old doesn't mean it's good - after all - it's a dunlop - I'd change it just for that reason. :BLAA:

But in all seriousness - it's best to go with matching tires, both in age and brand, simply so that you can be confident in the grip for both tires matching. You can get away just fine using different ones - you'll like it better if your tires match.

Since they recently came out with PR3s, a lot of places have PR2s on sale - just got a PR2 front off of revzilla for $120 - good tire for a good price. I've got an Avon Storm rear - so yeah, not matching, but they're pretty similar tires and my front wore out way before the rear.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
But in all seriousness - it's best to go with matching tires, both in age and brand, simply so that you can be confident in the grip for both tires matching.

Done. Metzeler Z8 Interacts (front and rear) to arrive, much to my wife's chagrin, next week.

nthdegreeburns

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
She might not be real happy but it's a lot better than going down and then calling her. Bought a new bike last year and after slipping a couple of times on the tires (good tires just not in the wet or cold) I changed them out and gave them to someone who understood their limitations - good when worm and dry.

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
I would ride on 'em and see how they feel, especially in the wet. While the production date is useful to know, it's not a better indication of tire health than your eyes and the seat of your pants.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
OMG, what a difference new tires...

Immediately noticeable benefits...
  • Smoother ride
  • No worrisome new rider slipping from rear tire
  • Smoother ride
  • Better stopping (???)
  • Did I mention smoother ride?

Metzeler Z8 Interacts arrived in a water filled bag (raining when UPS man delivered them while I was at work) earlier this week. Motorcycle-Superstore got the parts right -- M-spec for the front, O-spec for the rear.

Wife drove the tires out (with me on the bike) to a local north Atlanta motorcycle race shop / mechanic this morning to have them installed (wasn't sure if I had ALL the tools to remove wheels, transport them myself).

Installation photos attached, but it didn't cost me too much, and I had them do a "safety check" on the bike to ensure that I'd done the front brakes right (I had).

Mechanic encouraged me to keep the front Dunlop Sportmax Q2 (they're a Dunlop dealer), as it was in decent enough shape that it could be used in an emergency. Rear tire, though, was flat in the middle with bad cupping.

Thx to everyone who chimed in on the thread. :D :thumbup:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Dunlop Sportmax Q2 up front and a Metzeler Z6 in back on my '07 FZ6 purchased used in February 2013.

My mechanic at the time noted that the Metzeler was old -- the DOT number is 3908, so it's at least 5 years old and looking worn (see attached).

View attachment 49409
View attachment 49410

I thought the Dunlop was pretty old too -- possibly OE. But now I'm not too sure. Check the photos below.

View attachment 49411
View attachment 49412

I couldn't tell, but the DOT number on that tire appears to be 2111 - making it about 2 years old. The tread is definitely better than the Metzeler, but I swore the Dunlop was just as old.

Am I reading the wrong number?

I'd replace them both PRONTO. The dunlops suck even when new, which that'n ain't, and the metzeler appears about shot.