dualsport?

sempul

Reaction score
Visit site
has anyone tried using thier FZ6 as a on/off road bike? im curious as to how this would hold up off road if i put some knobbie tires on it?

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
On my last trip I had to go along alot of dirt roads, wasn't an issue but I certainly wouldn't want to go proper off road with the bike, not enough clearance and too much weight in the wrong places. Guess it depends, you mean full off road bush bashing or just some rough riding?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
2687577759_5f97656bd8_o.jpg

2 main problems:

(1) It does not have very good ground clearance

(2) It won't crash/drop very cheaply like a real dual sport

Dirt roads are no worry though
3770284446_e10ec22a9d_b.jpg

3693167124_daf984afd0_b.jpg

Last edited:

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're looking at terrain that requires knobbies then I'd say you're looking at the wrong bike. The FZ will most likely get you there, but it won't be the most fun and will be quite expensive to drop it. I've done fire roads and some desert road exploring, but that is probably as much as I'd ever want to do on the bike.

The big cons in my opinion:
Power - The FZ makes decent power above 8k, not really where you want it for off road.
Metal - The FZ has a lot of unprotected metal on it, and metal is expensive to replace compared to plastic.
Suspension - It's not set for ruts or off road beyond typical fire roads and gravel roads.

Could it be done? Sure. Should it be done? Matters how much money you want to throw at it.

For the cost of frame protection and tires for the FZ you could probably buy a used KLR or DZ.

If you're serious about dual sporting, I'd say have a multi-bike stable...like me ;)

PictureAprilPalomar028.jpg

My other red bike with a plate will take me places I'd never take the FZ6.

Then again, I have ridden a full dual sport ride with a guy on a Royal Ensfield and he went every where we did, including stream crossings. Only had one issue that was fixed with tape. :rockon:

P5090045.jpg

sempul

Reaction score
Visit site
hmm good points. its all good points and i guess ill just keep an eye out for an actual Dirtbike lol. my FZ6 just feels so much like a dirtbike after riding my CBR900RR all day. when i get on it i sometimes want to just hit the logging trails lol.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
It doesn't do well in the wet mud! Flipped me off in a campsite in Cornwall this year going very slowly in a straight line. It was loaded with luggage though.