Dropped my helmet, now what?

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a case of butterfingers today and dropped it after a few bobbles now the foam liner (not the padding, but the styrofoam between the padding and the outer hard lining) is loose in the cheek and chin area. I've been looking for a reason to replace this one for awhile, but had plans to keep it as a loaner/emergency jobber.

Is my helmet still safe or should I find a clever way to scrap it?

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never gamble with your head mate... You've only got one.

Replace the helmet and make sure you destroy the old one.. Don't want someone putting it on later on, and being involved in an accident.. results could be disastrous.

:)

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All helmets including hard hats are meant to be replaced when they have incured an impact. So sorry to say the advise will be replace it.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
If it was hard enough to weaken the integrity of the helmet, then yes you should replace it.

However, a simple drop from a couple feet doesn't always harm it.

It depends on the situation.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel your pain. I dropped one of my helmets the other day. It's trashed. It was my day/hot day helment (blue and white, the other is a matte black, see my photo).

I already have another on the way. I always buy SNELL/DOT approved helmets. This time I purchased the HJC Cyclone. Tested it in the store and it feels good. Looks good too, just a little too much white in it.

Such is life.

Replace it.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If it was hard enough to weaken the integrity of the helmet, then yes you should replace it.

However, a simple drop from a couple feet doesn't always harm it.

It depends on the situation.

I'm with Soviet here. Man, if I replaced my helmet every time I dropped it I'd be on some sort of "preferred customer" list with Arai...

From what kind of height did the helmet fall? Did it fall from your hand while walking, such that the distance was a foot or two? If so, that (IMHO) is not a must-replace event in my little brain. But again, it's an "it depends" sort of equation to me, too.

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, it dropped from about 3 feet. The only reason I'm even asking is because the shock absorption component is now loose. I suppose it's not a huge loss though, It's about to turn 4 and has served me well, just would have liked to have had a spare.

Thanks for all the input, it's getting replaced today.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Normally I'd say just keep using it, but if the inner foam has come away from the outer, then you need to retire it.

Old helmets make nice flower pots.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yea sounds like you need a new one. a light colored one would be good for the aproaching summer heat IMO.

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
a year ago, i dropped my RF1000 about 3 feet onto concrete. i shipped my helmet to Shoei, they inspected it and sent it back with a letter saying it was safe to wear. thats good service. i expected them to say i needed to buy a new helmet.

J_Slyter

Reaction score
Visit site
If there is nothing in it to compress the foam on impact, they are generally ok. The shell can usually take a drop from a few feet. The big manufacturers will test their helmets for free (Arai, Shoei...not sure about the others), you just pay for shipping. Worth it when you are talking hundreds of $'s for a helmet. I caught this video a while back, pretty useful info. The loose foam you have is an interesting twist to your case.

Jay Leno talks about Arai helmets with Bruce Porter. | 2WheelTuesday

Hope this helps.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I personally wouldn't worry about a drop like that there was no weight to the impact, the loose materials inside might just snap back in? If a small hit like that damages a helmet beyond use I wouldn't think they would be worth much in a real world accident. (Just my uneducated opinion:confused:)

If however you are just wanting a new helmet, well in that case it wasn't just 3 feet it dropped. It was 36 long terrifying inches that it plummeted down the the stony earth and impacted with a terrible sound and laid there unmoving in its wreckage. :D

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOOK AT THE JAY LENO INTERVIEW POSTED BY J SLYTER IN THIS THREAD: IT TELLS YOU EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:

YOU ALL NEED TO WATCH IT: YOU WILL LEARN SOMETHING

Steve

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
a year ago, i dropped my RF1000 about 3 feet onto concrete. i shipped my helmet to Shoei, they inspected it and sent it back with a letter saying it was safe to wear. thats good service. i expected them to say i needed to buy a new helmet.

I did the same thing (dropped from a chair no less!! :spank:); just like the OP's helmet, my inner styrofoam "helmet" is no longer one with the outer shell - I've only owned my Shoei for a year :D :eek: I can't be bothered being without a helmet if I send it back, so I'm in the market for another helmet. Meanwhile, my current one appears to be holding up OK...just hope I don't have to test the integrity of my current helmet before I settle on a new one...kinda up in the air between an Arai or Shoei flip up...hmmmmmm

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, I don't feel comfortable wearing it with a loose liner. I treid to see if it would snap back together, unfortunately, it appears the foam has separated where it was glued to the outer liner so no luck snapping it together. As for the impact, It must have warped it pretty good because the breath gaurd popped out. I treid removing it previously for cleaning and it really took some effort. This was my first clue that something semi-serious had happend. Of course, the loose liner was the next one.
the helmet was about $220 or so when I got it. At least it wasn't a $3-400 job... I'll be getting another EXO 700 though. Looking to get a light colored one, like shreveport1 suggested. The matte black is just killer and caused me to almost have a heat stroke last summer. Definitely learned that lesson...
I'm also in the same boat as fizz off... can't deal without the helmet for the amount of time it'll take to ship it off and get it back.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
I see some people only have one helment. I purchased an additional helmet about a month after I got my first one. I had a friend say this, "two is one and one is none." So I knew I wanted/needed a spare for those "just in case" times.

I do understand the expense of it all. It did set me back but it was worth it.