Dropped my bike today

akwiseguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello my fellow FZ6ers. I am new to the site and have had my Blue 07 FZ6 for a month now. This is my 2nd bike and 2nd summer riding. I upgraded from a Buell Blast and love the HUGE difference of the FZ6.

Well back to the topic of the post, it happened this morning on the way to work. I was approaching traffic that was creeping along at approx 5 mph. Traffic stopped and I extended my left leg to stabilize myself once I came to a stop. My right foot was still on the footpeg. I lost my balance and put my right foot down in an attempt to regain balance, but it was too late. I could not stop the beast from tipping over.....it happened....my FZ6 was laying there on its side. :mad: There are a few scratches on the fairing and on the right mirror, but my ego was damaged more than the bike was. To top it all off, I was not able to get the bike up by myself. The cute blonde in the white mercedes (with "vixxen" on her license plate) behind me jumped out of her car and helped get the bike upright.

Does anyone have any tips on how to pick up a bike that is laying on its side? I don't plan on this happening again, but better safe than sorry.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to read that you dropped your bike....am also sorry we dont have any photo's of cute Blonde!!!

:BLAA:

Seriously though, damage does not look too bad, and should be easily fixed.

:thumbup:

Only tip i have for picking up a bike...is to get help!

:D

Powerman

Reaction score
Visit site
This exact same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago! Only difference was I had to have an old man (over 70) help me pick up the bike. Same damage, easily cleaned up.

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
turn around backwards put your lower back/butt against the seat and grab the bottom handle bar and grab handle lift/push the bike up. I think it is on youtube somewhere someone posted it on here, worked great when my wife backed into my bike.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're a female, get help. If you're a guy, then all I can say is you need to pump some irons Girlie Man! I had no problem picking up my bike by myself (kissing own biceps).

Powerman

Reaction score
Visit site
turn around backwards put your lower back/butt against the seat and grab the bottom handle bar and grab handle lift/push the bike up. I think it is on youtube somewhere someone posted it on here, worked great when my wife backed into my bike.

I tried that having seen the video, but had to resort to the old man with the bad back to help me. He only provided about 10 percent lift but was all I needed.

akwiseguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys. It definitely made me feel like a weakling that I couldn't keep the bike from tipping over. I agree, the damages are very minor.

Wolfman - I know, I should've snapped off some pics of the blonde vixxen!! :D :D :D My wife asked me if I got her name and number....I didn't think that was an option! I should drop my bike more often. :BLAA:

Powerman - Sorry to hear there weren't any hot blondes to help you and sorry about your drop as well.

akwiseguy

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're a female, get help. If you're a guy, then all I can say is you need to pump some irons Girlie Man! I had no problem picking up my bike by myself (kissing own biceps).
I am a dude. I was thinking the same thing....time to do some power curls and slam back some beers.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I had to use the squat trick to pick up my katana any time I dropped it. I've never had a problem picking my FZ6 up when it fell over. Even the day I dropped it in loose gravel in the rain.

Not that I've dropped it recently...

But shoot, when I had my off in december, I just walked over, grabbed the handlebars and yanked that bad boy back on it's wheels.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Put the bike in first gear (if not already) and make sure its turned off (obviously).

If dropped on the RIGHT SIDE:

Put the kickstand down, turn the forks to the right. Then back up to the bike grabbing the right grip with your LEFT HAND and the left grab rail, (or something solid). Straighten your back and lift straight up with your legs, not your back. Stay right up against the bike for a little more stability. The bike will come up and then tilt until its sitting on the side stand... Done

If dropped on the LEFT SIDE:

Same procedure basically, but turn the forks to the left. Pick up the same way as posted above. Just as you get close to being up fully, you need to swing out and down the kick stand (as its up and under the bike while the bike is down). Lift the same way, once the side stand is out, set the bike on the side stand... Done..

If either tire is in the sand/slippery ground, you may have to slid the bike some until the tires get grip, moving slow or enlist somone else's foot to place on the ground to keep the tire from sliding sideways.

This method is taught in the advanced Police motorcycle class.

I have used it numerous times on my old police full dress Harley (when a motor cop) MANY times, especially that day of training (by myself). I've also picked up several different large bikes involved in crashes. This method does NOT REQUIRE ANY HELP and works quite well. I also used it on my old Goldwing when dropped at a stop on a very slanted road by myself (5'8", approx 185lbs). If done correctly, most anyone can lift even a large bike...

Last edited:

muck_mahone

Reaction score
Visit site
Easy way I've found is to squat down with the handlebar between your thighs, both hands on the handlebar. If it's on it's left side, then you turn the bars to full lock to the right and visa versa. Keeping your back straight you can now use the muscles in your leg to lift the bike. Make sure it's off (kill switch or ignition) and in gear, once vertical again you can put the side stand down. If the bike is on it's right side you put the stand down before you lift.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello my fellow FZ6ers. I am new to the site and have had my Blue 07 FZ6 for a month now. This is my 2nd bike and 2nd summer riding. I upgraded from a Buell Blast and love the HUGE difference of the FZ6.

Well back to the topic of the post, it happened this morning on the way to work. I was approaching traffic that was creeping along at approx 5 mph. Traffic stopped and I extended my left leg to stabilize myself once I came to a stop. My right foot was still on the footpeg. I lost my balance and put my right foot down in an attempt to regain balance, but it was too late. I could not stop the beast from tipping over.....it happened....my FZ6 was laying there on its side. :mad: There are a few scratches on the fairing and on the right mirror, but my ego was damaged more than the bike was. To top it all off, I was not able to get the bike up by myself. The cute blonde in the white mercedes (with "vixxen" on her license plate) behind me jumped out of her car and helped get the bike upright.

Does anyone have any tips on how to pick up a bike that is laying on its side? I don't plan on this happening again, but better safe than sorry.
Sorry about the drop,
Glad your ok, that's the main thing. I weigh Weigh about 172lb = 78 kg and find the FZ6 a real PIA to pick up from the floor. It's not the weight that's the issue. It's awkwardness of trying to grab something to get the leverage into the lift.

2006: 423 lb = 191.869 kg (dry)
2007: 410 lb = 185.972 kg (dry)

This was posted aeons ago on the forum and is a good technique. The only criticism I would have with it is that the Boxer engine and luggage make the bike virtually upright anyway lol.
Pink Ribbon Rides

I then saw this and thought maybe tcmalker is right and we should grow some?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6HTs9x3xBE&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Girl lifting Harley‬‏[/ame]

Nelly

Good luck

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
OUCH. All can be said.

Dropped my fazer 3 times now, ALL under 5km/h, although just fitted the replacement parts and bike looks good as new. I am getting frame sliders ASAP though.

Nobody should buy a bike without them.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man.

A cute chic helping you pick the bike up had to be the worst ego hit evAr! :eek:

I did something similar a few months after I got my FZ6...I actually tipped it over while trying to back into a parking space at the office, fortunately I had frame sliders and my hand saved the handle bar from contact but a coworker saw it happen from the window and when I looked up there were 5 coworkers standing in the window pointing and laughing and I had to go in and get help to get the bike up as well. :spank:

MagicMANX

Reaction score
Visit site
Put the bike in first gear (if not already) and make sure its turned off (obviously)..........

Used this same technique in several bikes, i'm a fairly normal guy, 180lbs, practically no muscular help from my arms :( and I've managed to pick up even my old Yamaha VMAX (thats a heavy bike), the fz6 is easy to pickup with this technique, get some frame sliders to avoid damage in future drops ;)

elrusoloco

Reaction score
Visit site
Seconded. I've picked up an ST1300 (almost 700 lbs) and my current Concours 14 (almost 600 lbs) this way without help.