dripping fuel after ride??

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
I had to put gas in my 6 for the first time today, so I went to the station and filled her up, then rode around for a good 40 miles went home and parked it. Then I went outside about 10 min after I got home and noticed a puddle under the bike. At first I thought it was oil, but then I noticed the fuel dripping out of one of the hoses that hang under by the exhaust cat. It's not a big drip, but about ever 10 seconds or so it'll drip..and you can see the fumes coming out of the hose the whole time. I opened the gas tank and the gas wasn't all the way at the top. The hose appears to run to the front of the tank on the right hand side (when sitting on the bike). Just wanted to see if this is normal or not.

djstrong

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine dripped yesterday after sitting all day in the sun at work. Tank was about 1 gallon less than full. Today it was dry when I checked, but there was less fuel in the tank.

My bike only has 1000 miles on it, and I never noticed the drip before yesterday.

I thought maybe after being stored all winter, and puting the battery back in, I might have kinked some of the fuel lines when reinatalling the battery. But I'm not sure.

Any one else experience the fuel drip from one of the rubber hoses? any potential causes?

I'll keep monitoring.

Dan
2009 FZ6

trailmug

Reaction score
Visit site
Sitting in the sun, esp with a dark-colored tank, gas will evaporate, travel down the fuel tank vent tube, condense, and drip on the ground. Is it coming out the vent tube near where the swingarm meets the frame?

djstrong

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it is coming from the tube that is near the center stand. I traced it up, and it goes to the right side of the bottom of the gas tank.

There is another tube on the left bottom of the gas tank, but I do not think it is dripping.

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, that tube is basically for fuel overflow. I know it sounds weird if it's dripping when you're tank isn't topped off. Don't worry about it though, it's normal. As another guy noted, I think it has something to do with the way fuel expands/contracts/condenses due to environmental variables.

I've known a couple of people with kawasakis that wheeze vaporized gas out the top of the tank. That sound would be more concerning to me than a little dripping from an overflow tube.

westmask

Reaction score
Visit site
sixsix, it sounds like it's more than an anomally

I'll give my own FZ a week to see if it settles down or has a pattern,but if it is recurrent,I'll squalk to the dealer.I'll print out this thread to support my claim.From what I've read here,so far it seems to just be an annoyance.You know,the kind that only gets worse After the warranty expires !!!

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: sixsix, it sounds like it's more than an anomally

I'll give my own FZ a week to see if it settles down or has a pattern,but if it is recurrent,I'll squalk to the dealer.I'll print out this thread to support my claim.From what I've read here,so far it seems to just be an annoyance.You know,the kind that only gets worse After the warranty expires !!!

I noticed it to be a pretty normal thing. With out riding the bike, go park it in the sun and wait for it to drip, once it starts go get a large towel and lay it over the tank. It'll pretty much stop immediately.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
sixsix, did it look anything like this?

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2678.jpg

Mine did this a couple of summers ago for the first time and freaked me out. So I got on here in a panic and was told that's completely normal when the tank is nearly full and sitting in the sun all day.

So, you're good...lol. :thumbup:

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
here ya go...rolled it out to the front of the house where all the sun was at. It's 89 degrees and about 90% humidity. This only took about 3 min.
fz6drip001.jpg

fz6drip002.jpg

Put a microfiber towel over the gas cap and it stopped about 5 min later.