Double down shift

2000 Intruder

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone experienced a double down shift? I've had my FZ since January and it's happened to me three times now.

What happens is that I intend to drop one gear, and end up going down two gears instead. I can't completely rule out the possibility that I'm hitting the gear lever twice without intending to, but this never happened on my previous bike. It seems to happen randomly.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar.

Thanks.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I do have this problem. I notice it mostly when I'm in 3rd when I'm downshifting. Sometimes it likes to randomly kick down into neutral. I've had this happen where I was trying to downshift to 1st gear and had it shift into neutral on me, then when i try to go down to first it just bounces off and won't let me into first until I'm stopped.

I've only ever had this happen maybe 4 or 5 times in the 8 months I've had my bike, so its not an every day occurrence. But I have noticed it happen to me a few times. I thought it could just be me accidentally downshifting twice, but I ruled that possibility out when I knew for sure I only downshifted once, yet it still kicked to neutral and bounced off of 1st on me.

If anybody knows what that's about, I'd sure like to know.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Something I have learned is that when there are shifting issues, half the time they can be resolved with an oil change. Both the transmission and clutch pack are lubricated by the engine oil. On a low mileage bike the motor and clutch are still shedding grits faster than normal and this can dirty up the oil. This is how I know when the oil needs changing on my dual sport. After thousands of miles on my FZ6 the tranny is butter smooth both up and down.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe. I'm not ruling that out, maybe I lightly tapped down in conjunction with a bump in the road and hit it twice.

I'll try to hammer the shifter and make more distinct downshifts rather than lightly tap it down...I'll try to really kick it down and lock it into gear and take note of if it happens again on me though.

It hasn't happened many times so it could very well be a rider error. Thanks for the advice though.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe. I'm not ruling that out, maybe I lightly tapped down in conjunction with a bump in the road and hit it twice.

I'll try to hammer the shifter and make more distinct downshifts rather than lightly tap it down...I'll try to really kick it down and lock it into gear and take note of if it happens again on me though.

It hasn't happened many times so it could very well be a rider error. Thanks for the advice though.

Ohh also you can preload the shifter. To do this when up shifting you can lift slightly up on it before you shift and then do a quick firm upshift.

This will let you get a better feel of your shifting

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah i gotchu man, use the clutch for first gear and downshifts. I tend to preload the shifter and say screw the clutch when I'm past 2nd - unless I'm just upshifting to keep my rpm's down and be quiet.

2000 Intruder

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't had mine get hung up in neutral. It usually happens when I'm engine braking. I think the last time it went from 4th to 2nd.

I'll try changing the oil.