Votes: 99 49.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
HA, looks like the jury's still out on this one. Voted and then saw results are now exactly 50% yes and 50% no! Just personal preference I guess, but I always use it. Every time. MSF-instilled habit :)

You will soon see a big vote swing since tcmalker's endorsement of the latter.
:( :D

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I use the kill switch every time I stop the motor of whatever bike I am riding.

You don't have to take you hands off the bars. You remain in more control of the motorcycle. You can even keep the front brake applied as you hit the switch.

Once the bike is off, and there is no need to maintain control.... THEN it's (in my opinion) okay to let go of the grips, and turn off the ignition.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know better than to use the kill switch during a 'panic' situation (been there many times), but for someone who has a trained muscle memory he/she might flick that switch in just that situation, which would be a disaster, wouldn't you agree?

Muscle memory is developed for turning off the bike, thats it. Why would someone try to develope muscle memory for using the switch for anything else.

Besides, just like RJ2112 mentioned, your hands never have to leave the handlebars, you are able to control the motorcycle a lot better versus trying to reach for the key.

Whichever you decide, there will always be a reason for doing it one way or the other. It comes down to personal preference. If you are use to doing it the other way, there is no way you will ever leave the ignition key on and end up with a dead battery. That's one positive.

That is why it is so imperative that if the switch is used to turn the bike off, you have to develope a routine and immediately turn the key. I got distracted one time at work and ended up not turning the key off:spank:

We use the words Thumb, Key, Valve (Fuel Control Valve if you have one) for shut down procedures. I do notice quite often that the new riders during the BRC will use the switch, but forget to turn the key off. They haven't quite developed the routine yet. If I walk by their bike and noticed that their key is still in the on position after they have dismounted, I will just take their key and place it on the seat as a reminder.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny, I'm known for my laziness, yet I choose to use the ignition switch instead of the all too easy kill switch. I guess I don't want to be a robot because someone at MSF told me to do it. I guess I'm more stubborn than lazy.

Maybe it doesn't matter if you use kill switch or not. I don't care about that anymore. Since I'm not going to win the dual headlight mod poll, I just want to win this one.

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
Arguing against using or not using is pointless. If the switch were to fail, which is exceptionally unlikely, you could just engage the clutch and remove power to the wheel. I'd rather do this than kill the engine, anyway. No sense in giving the rear a chance to skid. (also, exceptionally unlikely)

That said, I don't really think about which one I use. Sometimes it's the red switch.. sometimes it's the key. There isn't a "right" answer... plus, I feel leftout of the poll... so I'm grumpy. LoLoL

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the ignition switch simply for the fact that sometimes when I do turn the motor off with the kill switch, then turn key off to fuel or whatever, I forget to flick the kill switch back to run. Then I look like a noob when I hit the starter and nothing happens, then before I remember the stupid kill switch is in the off position, I panic for a second thinking, "Oh crap, It's dead!", then I feel like a dumb-a$$.

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny, I'm known for my laziness, yet I choose to use the ignition switch instead of the all too easy kill switch. I guess I don't want to be a robot because someone at MSF told me to do it. .

Maybe it doesn't matter if you use kill switch or not. I don't care about that anymore. Since I'm not going to win the dual headlight mod poll, I just want to win this one.

"I'm known for my laziness"

"don't want to be a robot because someone at MSF"

"I choose to use the ignition switch instead of the all too easy kill switch"

Dude I felt for you when you got hit that sucked. I am really glad you came out ok.

If only you could have worked that clutch the way you can work the ignition switch. Did you turn the key off as the bike fell? Forget the clutch grab the key!!!

Just teasing bro. Glad your still riding and have good advice?

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the kill switch. I am not worried about it "wearing out or muscle memory" If it wears out or fails, I will replace it. If I have impending danger, I will us correct evasive manuvers to avoid a situtation. Like a car, I will lose my power steering if I kill the engine and it will make the situation worse.

I get that you are trying to win a pole, but how about a pole to establish what the best all around bike is by comparing a FZ6 to a Harley. That would be a slam dunk and you could start a "favorable pole streak"

ps. It's my 50th birthday today, so I can say what I want to. Great thread. As Romy says, Have a take and don't suck

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the kill switch. I am not worried about it "wearing out or muscle memory" If it wears out or fails, I will replace it. If I have impending danger, I will us correct evasive manuvers to avoid a situtation. Like a car, I will lose my power steering if I kill the engine and it will make the situation worse.

I get that you are trying to win a pole, but how about a pole to establish what the best all around bike is by comparing a FZ6 to a Harley. That would be a slam dunk and you could start a "favorable pole streak"

ps. It's my 50th birthday today, so I can say what I want to. Great thread. As Romy says, Have a take and don't suck

Happy birthday robot. J/K.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
ALWAYS.

It's like clockwork to me and when you do it enough its just a habit.

Kick stand, kill switch, switch key off in that order.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I took the time to learn motorcycling the right way via MSF. And since I was instructed to use the kill switch for the very pragmatic reasons repeated here multiple times I'm going with what I learned since it is really all I know.

I can't think of anything more foolish than to pay for instruction via MSF and then decide I know better in my noobiness.

Edit: and wouldn't it make sense that you wouldn't know the switch is faulty if you never use it? So use it!!

Caladin

Reaction score
Visit site
I suspect that the kill switches that are starting to go bad, are on bikes that it is not used routinely on.

My kill swtich died on me. I used the kill switch as the sole method for shutting the motor off. There was about 76k km (47k miles) on the bike at the time. It was always stored indoors but was ridden in the rain a lot. The contacts looked to be somewhat corroded. I have ridden the last year with the switch bypassed (an emergency on road repair).

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

My kill switch did not show any fault while starting or stoping the bike. Problems showed up suddenly one night on the highway in the form of a violent jerk due to the motor shutting off for a fraction of a second. I actually thought I was hitting pot holes on the highway (It was night and raining VERY heavy - I couldn't see the road surface well enough to tell). It was about 4 days later when when it shut off while riding. I was able to pull things apart and find the problem. Intermitant problems can be hard to diagnose.

I plan to replace the switch this winter. They do not sell just a new switch or contacts. It looks as if it comes as the entire right side assembly. BikeBandit lists it as $81.17.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
My kill swtich died on me. I used the kill switch as the sole method for shutting the motor off. There was about 76k km (47k miles) on the bike at the time. It was always stored indoors but was ridden in the rain a lot. The contacts looked to be somewhat corroded. I have ridden the last year with the switch bypassed (an emergency on road repair).

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

My kill switch did not show any fault while starting or stoping the bike. Problems showed up suddenly one night on the highway in the form of a violent jerk due to the motor shutting off for a fraction of a second. I actually thought I was hitting pot holes on the highway (It was night and raining VERY heavy - I couldn't see the road surface well enough to tell). It was about 4 days later when when it shut off while riding. I was able to pull things apart and find the problem. Intermitant problems can be hard to diagnose.

I plan to replace the switch this winter. They do not sell just a new switch or contacts. It looks as if it comes as the entire right side assembly. BikeBandit lists it as $81.17.

Finally, a real world experience pointing to the hazard of frequent use of the kill switch. I think it would be beneficial if you tell us how to bypass the kill switch in case that ever happens to us in some deserted place. (Is the second picture how you did it?) I can't believe there isn't any other repair option other than replacing the entire right assembly. Come on Yamaha!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Finally, a real world experience pointing to the hazard of frequent use of the kill switch. I think it would be beneficial if you tell us how to bypass the kill switch in case that ever happens to us in some deserted place. (Is the second picture how you did it?) I can't believe there isn't any other repair option other than replacing the entire right assembly. Come on Yamaha!

You miss the point. It's not whether you use it or not, it's corrosion on the contacts that stops the circuit from performing as designed.

From the description of when this guy's faults occurred, it sounds like Yamaha used an unsealed switch which lets water into the contacts. That will eventually make pretty much any switch fail.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
We need to start compiling all these overrides just in case of an emergency and we need a quick fix: kill switch, kickstand switch, tip over switch, what else?

For example: your bike tipped over and somehow damaged the tip over switch and you can't start your bike even after your turn key off then on. You're stranded in Nowhere, USA. How can you override the tip over switch. Knowing this before hand can save your ass in the future. This applies to all these safety switches.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

It's just an open or closed circuit. Tie the two wires together and it runs.
Also not as large and pretty but there are many waterproof switches on the market. SPST Waterproof Miniature Rocker Switch (On-On) 16A 110V - VETCO.NET
With a little creativity....

Status
Not open for further replies.