Do you nod/wave to scooters?

Do you nod/wave to scooter riders?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
this guy is all over the road. lol. just messin.

anyway i never really thought of waving to them actually. the thought never really crossed my mind. if i were to see them wave tho then yeah sure i'll wave. y not.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
I wave to anyone driving a two wheeler with more than 50cc engine. Reason is that you'll need the exact same license to drive either a scooter or a "proper" motorcycle with a displacement of more than 50cc. Per definition, anything above 50cc is a motorcycle, regardless of riding position or transmission.

Would I ever want drive a scooter with a -let's say- 600cc engine? Hell no! I did communte on a 50cc scooter for a couple of years, though. That was it for me, and I decided to do the full license last year (which is quite a thorough process, at least it is here).

pml1967

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted, "Sometimes" but not based on whether the scooter looks cool (is that possible?). It depends how it's being ridden, if it's the usual all over the road, numpty style riding that's typical round here they get ignored at best but if they're riding sensibly then I'll nod like I would to any other biker.

I suspect it's the ones riding sensibly that are the real bikers at heart anyway.

Best laugh I ever had with kids on scooters... being mobbed by them in a town because I was sticking to the 30mph limit, they were having a good time, right up to the point where the speed limit went to 40mph and I just cruised away :Flip:

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Last year I rode with a guy and his brother who have Bergmans (I was riding my Vulcan back then). I was actually pretty impressed with them- for what they are. However, when he asked if I wanted a ride on it I declined - I was afraid someone I know might see me! :rolleyes:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think we should wave to the guys in those little smart cars. They're more dangerous to ride than our bikes!

Don't get me wrong I like the fact that people care enough about their environment to get inside a clown car and ride to work.

Yeah I wave to every body! :Flip:

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have waved on an occasion or two but didn't get a wave in return. They actually seem oblivious to other bikers.

I've gotten more waves from manual two wheelers(bicycles) than scooters.

Jonney

Meh
Reaction score
Visit site
Hell no, there's no excuse for scooters, i bought a 125 when i started riding and i cant stand them because their incompetent driving is a hazzard to people on real bikes passing them out.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
However, when he asked if I wanted a ride on it I declined - I was afraid someone I know might see me! :rolleyes:

This made me remember that old joke about the similarity between scooters and fat girls...both fun to ride ..but you wouldnt want to be seen on either..lol :D

DISCLAIMER..I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST PLUS SIZE GIRLS

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I wave! The look of surprise, followed by a big smile and a quick wave back is worth it.

I wave at pretty much anything on two wheels with a motor...and any attractive female between 18 and 50 ;)

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I wave! The look of surprise, followed by a big smile and a quick wave back is worth it.

I wave at pretty much anything on two wheels with a motor...and any attractive female between 18 and 50 ;)

And the laugh you have as they swerve all over the road, mount the curb end end up headfirst in someone's hedge! :rockon: Oh yeah, with tears in their tracksuit! :squid:

BigRatt

Reaction score
Visit site
It depends on the scooter and the rider: two-up on a 50cc impeding traffic? Probably not.

Scooters and motorcycles are treated the same legally where I'm from, it all depends on size. But in a state where all it takes to get a motorcycle endorsement is answering 7 of 10 questions correct, moron riders aren't exclusive to scooters. It's also interesting to note that a good number of bikers here deride scooter riders because they DO wear helmets. Differences in local motorcycle culture I guess. I gear up all the time on my FZ6, but there are a lot of times I'll go lidless for a short cruise on my little bike.

Juan1

Reaction score
Visit site
Why wouldn't I? I'm neither a jerk nor a snob.

In San Diego, your average scooter rider is probably more diehard than your average motorcyclist.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol. This thread has turned into a monster! :ban: Never thought everyone was as opinionated as I am about scooters (for OR against)!

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site
Have any of you ever ridden a scooter in traffic?

Tiny wheels.
Inadequate suspension.
Inadequate brakes.
No power.
No maneuverability.

Anyone who takes one of those out in traffic has got big brass balls, and I will wave to them.

I have ridden scooter(mom owned it) and a bike(dad owned it) for close to 10 yrs in Indian roads..it was grt fun...if I remember it right..scooter was a 100cc and the bike was of 150cc. Grt fun ...
KB

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The nod or wave (to me) is a nod of respect, greeting and a stay safe well wishing all in one.

A scooter rider in a pair of shorts and 'T' shirt doesn't cut the mustard.

A biker in the same outfit also isn't really up for a nod of respect, even though he has had to do some advanced road training in order to get a bike license.

A scooter rider that wears gear and gives the nod gets on back for sure.

A scooter rider wearing gear but slowing folk down on the freeway doesn't.

It's not quite as clear cut for me..lol....I have opinions:eek::ban:.

These are just a few of the thoughts that go through my mind (doesn't take too long...lol.) before i decide.

Cheers
Mike

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok so this may have been covered... im kinda pressed for time and couldnt read all the replies... but did anyone else pick up on how big of a douche that guy was? like... if you pay attention to his riding.. he sucks.. he is EVERYWHERE... just rolling all over the lanes. sorry.. give a guy a camera and you might as well have given him 8 beers...

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
Before I moved to SC from IL, I almost never saw a scooter on the road to wave to. I'll have to think about this now, since scooters are all over the place here in Greenville (even on the expressway!). It's an entirely new culture for me.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
I did initiate a wave to a scooter rider once and his his excitement to wave back he nearly lost control and grabbed the handlebar with both hands in a hurry. I now give a head nod because I'd hate to see one of them actually lay it down trying to wave back ;).

We really don't have many scooter riders around here as to get anywhere worthwhile requires freeway or fast highway riding and I never see them out there.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I wave to scooters like any other bike, i waved at this one "scooterist" and he didn't wave back. i don't think knew how to react when i waved to him. they're shunned in the biker community. I chuckled though.