Do you keep anything in the underseat storage

jdough7

Reaction score
Visit site
As to be expected, the pax seat gets warm with the engine running. I am curious how warm it gets in the under seat storage area. Too hot to keep my owner's manual, registration and insurance in a thin plastic bag? Do you keep anything in there? Had any bad experiences? Also I have an Akrapovic exhaust, don't know if that would make a difference.

Thanks,
Jay

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep the manual, insurance card, registration, a hex key set, a paddlock (for locking to my front caliper), and an LED headlamp under the seat, in addition to the stock toolkit and have never had a problem. But I have stock exhaust.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i keep all sorts of stuff in there, including camera, etc, never had a problem with heat...that area is pretty well ventilated.

:thumbup:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep my insurance and rego in my wallet; if it gets stolen at least I can prove it is mine. Under the seat I keep my toolkit, the warranty card for my tires in case I run over a nail or something, and a rolled up shammy cloth for quick cleanings.

Nefilim

Reaction score
Visit site
I keep my manual and reg/insurance info in a bag as well with no issues. For proof, just make a copy of it and keep it with your title/bill of sale.

Underseat is a great place to store your gloves when you're not riding and a ballcap when you have helmet hair.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Let's see......I have the tool kit that came with the bike. Registration and Tire Repair kit the kind with the CO 2 cartridges. That's about it. I keep MOM (Motorcycle Owner's Manual) at home.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Bikes tool kit, owners manual, registration, inspection sticker, tie cord (to hold up gas tank if need be), scorpio alarm perimeter sensor, & helmet lock extender.

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the OEM tool kit, a Xena disc loc, a bank coin bag with a bungee net thing & mag light in it.

I never carry any paper work in my bike or car that has personal info on it. Call me paranoid but I just don't see any plus side to having that stuff there - it fits in my wallet :D

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Owners manual, OEM Toolkit, socket wrench, 10 mm socket, couple of hex head sockets.

Keep insurance, registration and flashlight in my riding jacket, that way I am never tempted to ride without it :D.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
LONG STORY

I learned the hard way NOT to keep insurance and registration under the seat.

One time a cop pulled me over and IMMEDIATELY demanded to see my certification. Every time I reached for my key in the ignition, he told me to FREEZE, because he figured I was trying to make a getaway. It wasn't until I got my OTHER key from my wallet that I was able to unlock my seat and show him the papers. Ever since then, I keep the papers in my wallet.

I decided to go back to the old tool kit. Although it's a fairly thorough package, it seems to be "missing" a few good tools. At that point it became clear; the FZ6 needs a COMPLETE tool set under the seat. I already had a few ideas for an adequate collection, but it needed to be compact and lightweight.

It took me an entire day to gather the necessary tools. Some tools were bought individually while others came in sets. I bought a little box and modified the daylights out of it. I even cutout certain plastic parts, from underneath the FZ6 seat, just so everything could fit. I even had to take a hacksaw to some of the tools to make them smaller!

After trying it out, there were a few dreadful problems. Some of the tools weren't stable and became disorganized. They'd slide everywhere inside the box. It was a nightmare.

You'd think somebody would sell a portable tool set! I went shopping everywhere, only to find nothing. Even ebay doesn't have many portable tool sets! At least nothing small enough to fit underneath the FZ6 seat.

The one I have can do a heck of a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if it could remove the engine out of the bike! That would be funny.

PAULED

Reaction score
Visit site
Stock Tool Kit.

If riding on cold days, that'll be most days in the uk then:rolleyes:, I will put some woolly gloves under the seat, so when you stop off for a break and hands are cold pop the gloves on to warm hands back up. Of course this must be done out of sight of other bikers:D

Cheers

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
LONG STORY

I learned the hard way NOT to keep insurance and registration under the seat.

One time a cop pulled me over and IMMEDIATELY demanded to see my certification. Every time I reached for my key in the ignition, he told me to FREEZE, because he figured I was trying to make a getaway. It wasn't until I got my OTHER key from my wallet that I was able to unlock my seat and show him the papers. Ever since then, I keep the papers in my wallet.

We have different methods, Raid. I deliberately keep my registration in a hard to reach place. My logic is that the more time I spend getting the registration out, the more time I have to demonstrate to the cop that I am a responsible person. It also gives the cop time to purge some adrenaline from his system.

When pulled, I shut off the bike, kickstand it, and remain seated on the bike.

When the cop gives his first instruction to me, I say,"Officer, I'm wearing earplugs so I cannot hear you very well. I'm going to take my helmet off so I can remove them."

He gives me the nod, and then I step off of the bike and start degearing. Off come the gloves, the helmet, and finally the earplugs come out. By this time I'm clearly not a flight risk, and he's seen that I am absolutely obsessive about safety gear. All of which works in my favor.

After the earplugs come out we can start talking, but this is at least a minute of time where I'm moving slowly and calmly, and the cop is tanding there watching me and reevaluating his first impression of me. (Pulled for speeding, so the first impression will be that I'm a squid.)

When they ask for the registration, I explain that it is under the seat. I unlock the seat, letting the cop see what I'm doing. I don't want him to think that there is a gun hidden down near the seat lock.

I then remove the seat, holding it with both hands, and set it on the ground. This gives the officer time to look in the underseat compartment and see that there's no weapon in there.

Finally I produce the insurance card from under the seat.

This method works pretty well, as I've gotten out of a number of tickets that should have had me locked up for reckless driving.

Fred