Do you consider the FZ6 a "crotch rocket"

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard this bike referred to as a "crotch rocket" every now and then. I for one shudder at the terminology, its not glorious in my eye. For me personally the term has always been negative in nature synonymous with a non motorcycle person describing a sport bike. Maybe i'm thinking about it too much, but i like to think of our bike as a naked sport and am quickly to correct anyone who refers to it differently. Am i off?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do not. The FZ series are all "Standards" to me, meaning (IMHO) a bike with handlebars. I liken a crotch rocket to bikes with clip-ons.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
People always say its a crotch rocket. but when someone asks if I have a crotch rocket I say that its a touring bike with the personality of a sports bike. So basicaly it could be if I wanted to depending on how I want to ride that day.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
That's an interesting take, FZ1inNH. I like it!

Honestly, I've never known EXACTLY what a "standard" meant. I'm going into my 6th riding season this year and I guess I'm still learning all the terminology...lol.

As far as our FZ6's being a "crotch rocket"...I've never thought of mine that way. Just the term brings images to squids to my mind. Not that all full-fairing super sports are squid bikes (far from it) but I've always thought the term "crotch rocket" referred to SS bikes. But for me, the bottom line is, if someone's calling a bike that, they really don't know what they're talking about..i.e. they aren't a rider but someone who's either never owned a bike or is a squid themselves.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
In my experience, non-motorcycle people refer to all sports bikes as "crotch rockets" and the rest are cruisers or Harleys. I don't think most think of sport bikers as squidly riders, they are just trying to figure out what type of bike you have (sport or cruiser).
:Sport:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As mentioned, the FZ6 is technically called a "Standard" bike with it's upright riding position. It is often classified as a touring bike because the bike can accomodate side luggage and a top rack for travel/touring. That's why insuring these bikes are so much more economical.

It does not fall under the sportbike classification. Which is what makes the FZ so special. Best kept secret that the average person doesn't know. It's a does it all bike. Great touring bike, commuter, and can carve the canyons with the other sportbikes. Well, kind of sillly telling everyone what the FZ can do here. We all know.

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard this bike referred to as a "crotch rocket" every now and then. I for one shudder at the terminology, its not glorious in my eye. For me personally the term has always been negative in nature synonymous with a non motorcycle person describing a sport bike. Maybe i'm thinking about it too much, but i like to think of our bike as a naked sport and am quickly to correct anyone who refers to it differently. Am i off?

People seem to mistake the FZ6 beccause of its looks to be a crotch rocket aka sports bike with clipons. IMHO its definately not a Crotch rocket but :) we all know it has the heart of the R6 and is a rocket in hiding till its power is unleashed to the unsuspecting cruiser or Harley rider :Flip: who looks at you like you are riding a kids bike that is merely a 600cc Bring it on is all I can say :rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a crotch rocket!!!! :rof::rof:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRXYMO4LKv8&feature=related]YouTube - Fireworks to crotch[/ame]

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
like the others have said, nope, it's an all around bike, commuter, light tourer,
sport(y) bike...the confusion prolly comes from a few things, it's Japanese,
it looks sporty, and the FZ moniker was intially a crotch rocket when the
repla-racer thing premiered in the 80's...clip on bars, rear set pegs, fully faired

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
I put it this way, My buddy rides a super sport (zx 6R) and everyone says its a crotch rocket. Everyone calls my Fz6 a crotch rocket. But when I bought insurance the man said oh thats a sport touring bike so I pay 48 a month while my buddy pays 119 for insurance. So I call its sport touring.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I call it a crotch rocket, only because I got tired of explaining what a sport-tourer was. People just looked at me like "why would you get a bike like that?" Idiots. :rolleyes:

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I always get Crotch Rocket and with the exception of my buddy who has a Heritage Softail they think its tremendous...
I try not to explain, people are just ignorant, I mean really, Why get on me for riding something that may be more dangerous for me when you ride around in a gigantic SUV because they feel they dont NEED to pay as much attention to the road. People just love to compartmentalize everything...

Sorry mini-rant

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Most people that not familiar with bike always think japanese bike is always croch rocket...well tooo bad
I believed FZ6, CB599, SV650 are more famous in Europe & Asia then here in US. They more into standard bike position while having tuned sport engine..
All can be a rocket in 2sd gear ......:BLAA:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, not a crotch rocket. That would be the R6. I hate that term.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never considered it a crotch rocket. But sometimes when talking to people I have to say "kinda like a crotch rocket" because no one knows what a standard or a sport touring is.

Unfortunately, Progressive considers it it a sportbike with the likes of the R6 and R1 ("well it says super sport on the website":Im With Stupid:), so the rates are just the same as if I had an R1.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never considered it a crotch rocket. But sometimes when talking to people I have to say "kinda like a crotch rocket" because no one knows what a standard or a sport touring is.

Unfortunately, Progressive considers it it a sportbike with the likes of the R6 and R1 ("well it says super sport on the website":Im With Stupid:), so the rates are just the same as if I had an R1.

Whoa. Statefarm for me calls it a standard. R1 rates must be pretty high.

Around my insurance agent, it's a standard or a tourer and I sit upright. When I'm alone, I crouch down and call it something else :D.

Dennis

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I totally agree with you. In my opinion the FZ6 is NOT a crotch rocket. While it offers "like" handling and performance, it also offers common sense and comfort to it's riders.
On top of all this: It does not have to be partially disassembled to do simple oil changes and it probably will not cause prostrate cancer ten years down the road caused by a forced rider position. JMO

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Never been a fan of Crotch Rocket. I prefer "Junk Missle", "Testicle Torpedo" or "Pubic Projectile"..... :thumbup: :eek:

Last edited:

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
even though the 919 that i had was (to the insurance) considered a cruiser. it looks to "sporty" and the fz is worse because of the mini faring it has. so i usually explain it as a crotch rocket that you sit up straight on with less/no fairings, that you can actually ride somewhere. (distance)

the tiger on the other hand is a bit trickier to explain. it has the sporty look like the fz but sits so tall.

and an edit to add that even tho the bike was designed not to be used as a traditional super sport that most of the engineering and parts are more "rocket" than most would like to admit.

Last edited: