Do I need new tires? (Pics included)

jlsmith411

Reaction score
Visit site
What do you think, do I need new tires? I know, obviously I do. I'm such a noob though. When I bought the bike about 1300 miles ago, I thought "I think that rear tire is running low on tread, but I'm not sure, it could just be the design of the tire." Now that I've done some research on tires I know that when I bought the bike I never should have driven on the tire because it already needed to be replaced and I'm thinking that the slippery rear tire could have been a big contributor to the two crashes that I had. FYI when I bought the bike the rear tire was already squared off and had at least 4 in. in the middle with absolutely no tread. Now its worn all the way through to the steel radial bands. Can't ride till I buy myself some Michelin Power Pilots. :thumbup:

P1040637.jpg

P1040638.jpg

J

jsteinb95

Holy SH*T dude!!!!! What were you thinking????? Don't you know what wear bars are??? What if you had a blowout? Jeez! :confused:

EDIT: How many miles are on those tires?

jlsmith411

Reaction score
Visit site
I had heard of them, but I could never find them. So I figured eh they don't need to be changed yet. I'm glad I noticed it yesterday when I was with my bike.

Btw-yeah I'm really lucky I wasn't hurt in my accidents and that I didn't have a blowout.

EDIT-IDK how many miles. At least 1300 since they've needed to be changed badly. I just got the bike 2 months ago though so I don't know how old they are.

Last edited:
J

jsteinb95

I had heard of them, but I could never find them. So I figured eh they don't need to be changed yet. I'm glad I noticed it yesterday when I was with my bike.

Btw-yeah I'm really lucky I wasn't hurt in my accidents and that I didn't have a blowout.

Yeah, you are extremely lucky!

You know where the wear bars are now, right? :eyebrow:

jlsmith411

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, you are extremely lucky!

You know where the wear bars are now, right? :eyebrow:

Yeah, now I do. Since I noticed the steel cable, I've done complete tire research so that I know what tire to get and what wear bars are and when I need to replace said tires.

I know this is probably the noobiest thing I've done to date. However, I've learned a lot and still have lots to learn but sometimes I learn by making mistakes. :rolleyes:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
These tires are FINE! Don't listen to anybody. There's plenty--I say, "plenty"---of tread left on these tires. Seriously, how about your shoes? Do you wear them until them until they fall off? Geeez!

jlsmith411

Reaction score
Visit site
look good for a few thousand miles if you can keep the bike at maximum lean angle. :rockon:

Oh I definitely keep the bike at maximum lean angle! Admittedly more than I should since I'm a new rider with less that 2k miles ever on any two wheeled contraption with a motor.

J

jsteinb95

These tires are FINE! Don't listen to anybody. There's plenty--I say, \"plenty\"---of tread left on these tires. Seriously, how about your shoes? Do you wear them until them until they fall off? Geeez!

Maybe you should make it clear that you're joking cause he would probably take your advice and ride til sparks are flyin off his rims. :D

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! I've never seen a tire showing the steel radial bands. For a second i thought it was a dirty marked up tire. With those tires I would not even consider doing a burnout.

Get some new shoes for your bike man.