Dissaponted in the details

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I decided to realign my new exhausts after a slightly rushed job in poor light the first time round.

i noticed that one of the rubber caps/grommits was missing ..ok so its not the end of the world,BUT the entire length of this section of sub-frame could fill up with water over time,and who knows what the consequences could be...the second photo also shows another cap which has been pushed down slightly and is already starting to collect crap

my message to you guys..if you got the rear end off the bike ..make sure the frame caps are in place

Last edited:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My rack uses those holes as it's mounting point .You might be able to find something that fits at a hardware shop,something like a chair leg stopper or the like ,maybe.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My rack uses those holes as it's mounting point .You might be able to find something that fits at a hardware shop,something like a chair leg stopper or the like ,maybe.

Yeah,i should of mentioned ,i did actually have a blank the exact size (the motorcycle gods were smiling on me today) and the foam blank on the left side i was able to prize out and re-insert it flush with the end of the frame

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
One of mine was missing too (same side). I've got a rack mounted on there now. I also had a missing bolt on the right side of the bike.

Maybe the Yamaha trainees assemble the right side!

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
...is already starting to collect crap..if you got the rear end off the bike ..

And on a related note, installing my Devil cans has taken away the Yamaha undertray, so all kinds of road crud this winter has got up into and seized my seat locking mechanism, situated on the subframe right above them. Bent my ignition key out of shape in the lock trying to force it.

Won't be such a problem, now I'm aware of it and will keep the locking mechanism cleaned regularly, but to reinforce the point about unintended consequences of modding our bikes.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats interesting..all that had to be removed on mine was the stock exhaust..lol

is there no way of adapting the plastics in any way to get any form of protection??

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I decided to realign my new exhausts after a slightly rushed job in poor light the first time round.

i noticed that one of the rubber caps/grommits was missing ..ok so its not the end of the world,BUT the entire length of this section of sub-frame could fill up with water over time,and who knows what the consequences could be...the second photo also shows another cap which has been pushed down slightly and is already starting to collect crap

my message to you guys..if you got the rear end off the bike ..make sure the frame caps are in place
Have you remedied the fit mate?
I have heard a few people saying that the fit was a little to large on Leo's.
In your opinion would the gap be reduced with a CAT eliminator?

Nelly

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Wish I could do 1/10th the stuff you people can do yourselves. I do my bike a big favor by not doing anything myself to it.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
good thing to know, i will have mine apart this week probably, i will be sure to pay attention to that.

What exhaust is that, the mounting is interesting.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
good thing to know, i will have mine apart this week probably, i will be sure to pay attention to that.

What exhaust is that, the mounting is interesting.

+2 on that mounting bracket. My mounting bracket are like a oval hanger that clamps on the top nothing like yours.....HHHHMMMMMM

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The likeliness of rain getting in that is null.
Unless you plan to ride without a seat and rear grab rail assembly.
That being said it shouldn't be too hard to block it off.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you remedied the fit mate?
I have heard a few people saying that the fit was a little to large on Leo's.
In your opinion would the gap be reduced with a CAT eliminator?

Nelly

the fit was fine..it was just me rushing the job regarding the exhausts..my issue is with the frame

Soviet Robot..i see your poin and agree.but as with all thisgs if water and other foreign bodies can find thier somewhere ..they usually do

Reiobard..the exhausts are MIVV..an itallian brand,very well priced too..im chuffed to beans with them..even if they do make my ears bleed :eek:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
And on a related note, installing my Devil cans has taken away the Yamaha undertray, so all kinds of road crud this winter has got up into and seized my seat locking mechanism, situated on the subframe right above them. Bent my ignition key out of shape in the lock trying to force it.

Won't be such a problem, now I'm aware of it and will keep the locking mechanism cleaned regularly, but to reinforce the point about unintended consequences of modding our bikes.
I managed to bend my key in a similar way. A couple of hints for people:-

You can bend the key straight again with pliers.

Also, I find the lock works much better if you push down above where it goes into the seat before & while unlocking it. If you have to push hard to turn the key, you're probably bending the key!

antijoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the missing right side sub-frame end cap is common to all FZ6's. If someone finds one on their bike I think that would be news.

Our bikes have been highly engineered by Yamaha to have this cap missing for weight balancing purposes. DO NOT install a cap here, you will ruin your bike's handling!:eek:

j/k

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the missing right side sub-frame end cap is common to all FZ6's. If someone finds one on their bike I think that would be news.

Our bikes have been highly engineered by Yamaha to have this cap missing for weight balancing purposes. DO NOT install a cap here, you will ruin your bike's handling!:eek:

j/k

There could be truth in this..afterall the exhaust link pipe and cat run up the right side of the bike..the missing cap could offset the extra weight on this side of the bike.lol :D