Disk Lock Or 2 Way Alarm?

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
eBay Motors: 2 Way Motorcycle Alarm System w/Remote Engine Start SPY (item 180321247681 end time Jan-27-09 08:36:45 PST)

Disc-Lock Alarms

These are roughly the same price. It would seem like a no brainer to get a 2 way alarm instead but usually they are $300+. The Spy5000m is $100shipped. The only feedback I can find about it was from Wildcard who posted a review on this forum. Google did not help me much.

I will use the alarm or disk lock at school parking lots and at an apartment complex for long periods of time. Should I trust this alarm, or go with a brand name such as Xena and get a disk lock.

Silverback

MT Man!
Reaction score
Visit site
i USE A XENA LOCK AND HAVE NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH IT, I RECOMMEND IT "HIGHLY"...Its also FANTASTIC when you forget its on as it will sound off before you can DESTROY your disk....NICE...

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I use BOTH!!!

The disk-lock to let people know that "Don't bother, - it's locked", - and the two-way to let me know if anyone tries anyway.

I'm using the [FONT=&quot]SR-i900 Scorpio alarm and a Oxford Boss Alarm Disk lock.
But then again, I love my bike, - and I wan't it to stay mine.

51b5RNOQ4jL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

d_5264.png

[/FONT]

Last edited:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The UK bikes have an immobilizer (with flashing red led :D) so I just have the alarmed Disk lock when I'm out and about. I also have a big chain and another disk lock if I'm staying for sometime in one place.

The two way alarm sounds good thou.:cool:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you are going one way or another then i would definitely do the alarm and make sure you mount the LED in a visible location. a disk lock is as easy to bypass as getting a buddy to help you lift the tire of the bike, an alarm is just as easy, but at least if you are out of earshot of the bike you will be notified if something is going on.

Silverback

MT Man!
Reaction score
Visit site
if you are going one way or another then i would definitely do the alarm and make sure you mount the LED in a visible location. a disk lock is as easy to bypass as getting a buddy to help you lift the tire of the bike, an alarm is just as easy, but at least if you are out of earshot of the bike you will be notified if something is going on.

I park my bike AT THE DOOR of where ever I go and If It goes OFF then GOD HELP THEM if they are still around when I get out there....The MT also has a sticker on the rear fender that says "IF you value your life as much as I value my bike, Don't F**k with it....Seems to work well...

And YES, I "CAN" back that up....

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
I park my bike AT THE DOOR of where ever I go and If It goes OFF then GOD HELP THEM if they are still around when I get out there....The MT also has a sticker on the rear fender that says "IF you value your life as much as I value my bike, Don't F**k with it....Seems to work well...

And YES, I "CAN" back that up....

haha. I was thinking about getting a sticker saying Lo jack on it, but I could not find any. I am still debating but I am leaning towards the alarm.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
I've the Xena XN-15 alarm .. very good cost like $100 bucks ... Still it seems to catch moisture under rain and ceases to function contrary to the manufacturer claims. Plus 2-way alarms suck battery like hell. I had one when I got the bike and got it removed.

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently ordered the Xena XE15 in yellow. As I am in the middle of winter I will not be able to use it for a while but it is a solid feeling piece of steel. I decided to take the alarm mechanism out to see what it was like and it went off inside the house. I know it will not be as loud outside but I had to get hearing protectors to put it back together. I consider all alarms to be good at detering thieves of opportunity and thats about all.

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
haha. I was thinking about getting a sticker saying Lo jack on it, but I could not find any. I am still debating but I am leaning towards the alarm.

I've had quite the run around with LoJack. It was installed on the bike before I bought it and I'm trying to transfer ownership.... it's been an ongoing thing for the past 2 months. I'm really fed up with their customer service. They keep telling me different stories and often say "you'll hear something from us in the next 24 hours" and of course I never do. Bunch of empty promises. I've also been told "we don't do unwinds on motorcycles. you'll have to buy a new unit". Well, after the way I've been jerked around with customer service I wouldn't ever give them a penny.

[/rant]

That said, LoJack doesn't make stickers. Maybe some other company does but the whole idea behind LoJack is that the would-be thief doesn't know it's installed. so that when it is stolen it buys time for the authorities to run the trace versus the thief knowing it's on there and having a head start on trying to disable it. Some 3rd party may make stickers though.