Did a dumb thing today...well, two dumb things.

.......... But, yeah, mdr;8785 is right about standard protocol for bicyclists. But, it's kinda like the same for maritime rules. A lot don't KNOW what the rules are because you're not required to know maritime laws to register boats and for some boats (non motorized?) you don't even need to register. Go figure.

I know what you mean, when I'm sailing in holland most motorboats drive as if they have right of way, which in most situations is not so, it's only the more powerfull boats which require a license (and a practical and theory exam).

Anyway back to the original thread: I'm occasionally guilty of leaving the indicator on, but I do check this when approaching a junction. Never forgot my chin strap (yet). I have however left my pocket open and my wallet got soaked, nowadays I always double check this and if I'm going on a long run will put it in a small ziplock bag.

Last edited:
Yeah, I haven't checked my state (CA) but I suspect usually that this is the same. However, there's an avenue right by my house on which there's a sidewalk on one side and no sidewalk and no/barely any shoulder on the other side. Bicyclists routinely ride both directions on the sidewalk side. I would say that it's actually dangerous to ride a bicycle on the other non-sidewalk side even when you'd be going in the same direction. Then, of course, there exist the bicyclists that just ignore standard protocol on streets where there's no good reason not to. I try to check for both directions. Ever try to sue a bicyclist? I don't imagine that it's a slam dunk but rather difficult or more trouble than it's worth. But, yeah, mdr;8785 is right about standard protocol for bicyclists. But, it's kinda like the same for maritime rules. A lot don't KNOW what the rules are because you're not required to know maritime laws to register boats and for some boats (non motorized?) you don't even need to register. Go figure.

If you are caught riding a bicycle on the pavement in the UK you'll get a fine, unless it is marked as a cycle path, they have to ride on the road following the highway code.

I'm so paranoid about blinkers that I find myself cancelling them at the track sometimes.....I often push the thing repeatedly before catching myself (not at the track).

I do this all the time too. I find myself hitting the button on occasion without even thinking of it. :D

Guilty of the helmet strap once... That flapping strap made me pull over in a hurry!

I always press to cancel a couple of times whenever I'm coming up to a junction where I'm going straight on, just in case I forgot or didn't press hard enough before. It's second nature now, to press it just as I would if I'm turning left or right.

I do that too, but in this case the flashing right flashers and the circumstances under which I switched them on in the first place snuck under my radar. As an aside, I sometimes hit my horn button by mistake when cancelling my flashers. I've got a Freeway Blaster installed, so it startles me just as much as other road users nearby. :D (Unless I've just washed my bike and filled the horn up with water.... Again. :rolleyes:. I really must drill that drain hole.)

Ever hit the start button instead of the horn? I did it a couple times and wondered why my horn wasn't working...

I've done both too (chin strap and blinker) but I work on it.

-PD

I push the cancel button a few extra times sometimes randomly. And sometimes if someone looks at me weird I push it just in case...

I try to not get on the bike without my helmet on and fastened and such. When I put it on I automatically strap it and I try to not put it on next to the bike in case for some reason I drop it (huge spider or something inside and get bit or stung), I don't want it to hit the bike.

I'm sure sometime I'll forget though.

I push the cancel button a few extra times sometimes randomly. And sometimes if someone looks at me weird I push it just in case...

I try to not get on the bike without my helmet on and fastened and such. When I put it on I automatically strap it and I try to not put it on next to the bike in case for some reason I drop it (huge spider or something inside and get bit or stung), I don't want it to hit the bike.

I'm sure sometime I'll forget though.

lol happens but I strap up my helmet prior to getting on...

I've also put the bike into gear with the kickstand down

and

went to let go of the bike when the kisck stand wasn't down :)

Ever hit the start button instead of the horn? I did it a couple times and wondered why my horn wasn't working...

I've done both too (chin strap and blinker) but I work on it.

-PD
Did that a few weeks ago in an emergency situation. I was trying to honk to let the driver know that HE WAS DRIVING LIKE A DUMBA$$ and instead just heard a bad bad noise. Realized what was going on and got even more pissed :)

Back