Detonation?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I decided that the TPS change cannot have happened in the USA because according to Townsend's info above (THANKS!), recalls began in 2006 and by that time this bike was already in Sweden. So I have written to the Swedish importer, told them the story and am now waiting for what they have to say.

Åke

Just because the the re-call didn't start until late 2006 does NOT MEAN YOURS IS NOT AFFECTED. Yamaha just acknowledges the problem after that. Your bike was built in the time frame of affected bikes/faulty TPS's.

My 04 FJR had the same re-call but ran fine. I had the local shop change it out for free...

Once again, PM me with the vin, or e-mail me direct and I can call Yamaha direct and find out, shouldn't take 10 minutes.... The bike was originally sold in the States, Yamaha in California should have the data...

And yes, an update would be nice...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Just because the the re-call didn't start until late 2006 does NOT MEAN YOURS IS NOT AFFECTED. Yamaha just acknowledges the problem after that. Your bike was built in the time frame of affected bikes/faulty TPS's.

My 04 FJR had the same re-call but ran fine. I had the local shop change it out for free...

Once again, PM me with the vin, or e-mail me direct and I can call Yamaha direct and find out, shouldn't take 10 minutes.... The bike was originally sold in the States, Yamaha in California should have the data...

And yes, an update would be nice...

I think he was saying that he believes that the TPS could not have been fixed before the bike was imported, therefore believing that the TPS could in fact be faulty, or at least partially being the culprit of his problems.

Eldberg

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, situation and problems resolved. As to the noise, a tech guy listened to the bike and said it's normal rattle, not detonation.

As to the TPS, I first contacted the local dealer who said "no, we don´t think they will honor the recall because the bike was bought in the USA". I wrote a paper letter to Yamaha Scandinavia, which they failed to answer (waited 2 months).

I then called them and spoke to some technical manager person who said no, if the bike had been bought anywhere in Europe they would have replaced the TPS but the USA and Europe are "entirely separate markets" and they don't deal with anything from outside the Euro market, including recalls and warranties.

Next I wrote a letter to Yamaha Europe (centered in Holland) and explained the situation. One week later the local dealer called: "when can you come in to have your TPS changed?" Apparently, Yamaha Europe had called the Scandinavian division and told them their attitude was not good enough. "Fix this."

So the TPS has now been changed and I'm riding happily. The only bad consequence of going to the dealer was I saw this very nice Fz8. Want!

Åke

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
SO good to hear you got it solved! There is nothing worse than knowing there is a problem and getting no help. Being in the military, I guess I see more then the average person, but communication is #1. Even the smallest issues can snowball into bigger ones.

Eldberg

Reaction score
Visit site
So the tps was the issue, glad to hear you finally got it resolved!!!!

I actually don't know if the TPS was bad. I thought the motor sounded weird, diesel-like when hot. Perhaps this comes from my riding fully plastic-enclosed bikes for many years; I just wasn't used to the noise of a naked motor?

Anyway, the experts say there is nothing wrong with the sound. The TPS issue came up here on the forum as a theory about what might be wrong, but now that it's been changed there really isn't much difference. I seem to notice a wee bit more vibrations @6-7000 rpm after the change, that's all.

Åke