Detonation?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
And by the way if there were no punch marks then more than likely the tps recall has not been done i would take it to a dealer and have them do it reguardless if thats the problem or not. Its a recall so its free and if it still dose it afterwards then one of the main possibilities have been crossed off the list

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Eldberg

Reaction score
Visit site
And by the way if there were no punch marks then more than likely the tps recall has not been done i would take it to a dealer and have them do it reguardless if thats the problem or not. Its a recall so its free and if it still dose it afterwards then one of the main possibilities have been crossed off the list

Thanks for the advice. I have no idea how expensive such a thing might be, and am reluctant since I'd be paying it myself - one of the bad things about buying a private import. Laying out a lot of money here also feels like a waste since the bike has not displayed any of the classic bad TPS symptoms.

Sent from my iThrone

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I have no idea how expensive such a thing might be, and am reluctant since I'd be paying it myself - one of the bad things about buying a private import. Laying out a lot of money here also feels like a waste since the bike has not displayed any of the classic bad TPS symptoms.

Sent from my iThrone

Its free, its a recall wich means yamaha picks up the cost

Eldberg

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, after many weeks I finally got hold of a key to remove spark plugs from the FZ6. It's now far past the riding season here so I have all winter to fix the bike, only problem is my garage tends to be chilly.

Have taken a photo of the rightmost spark plug, will try to post it here. Any opinios? IMHO it's a bit black around the edges but there are no depopsits, no oil and the central electrode had a healthy chocolate color.

Åke

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
it looks pretty normal to me, no gunk and not whiteish. did you ever find out what the idle was set at? also i know for some reason you are reluctant to have the TPS recall done but a rough idle is one of the main symptoms of the TPS going bad, and a real rough idle could make that "diesel" sound that your refering to. Its free to have done, wont cost you a penny, and its a recall on the bike wich means that it could affect your saftey, in other words even if it isnt the cause of this problem it needs to be done.

Eldberg

Reaction score
Visit site
OK I decided the plugs don't indicate that detonation is the problem.

Next step seems to be checking the CCT. Looked in the shop manual where this is listed under "camshafts" and it looks like you're supposed to dismount the CCT from the motor altogether. Do I just loosen the bolts and pull it out?

Åke

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Next step seems to be checking the CCT. Looked in the shop manual where this is listed under "camshafts" and it looks like you're supposed to dismount the CCT from the motor altogether. Do I just loosen the bolts and pull it out?

Åke
I really think you should put it back together and get the TPS done.
You might be creating a shed load of work for yourself for no reason.
If your in contact with the previous owner ask him if the TPS was done?
I really hope you get it sorted as when it's running right the bike will be everything you imagined it to be.

Nelly

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Åke

Two bolts and it pulls straight out... Once out it should turn in smoothly with a screwdriver(clockwise) and release or extend (with no help) also smoothly. DO NOT MOVE/TURN THE ENGINE WHATSOEVER EVEN SLIGHTLY with the tensioner out. Should you not replace the tensioner and re-install it, turn the center screw clockwise (with a little pressure to pull it in) and re-install. A new tensioner comes with a tab that holds the assembly together for easy installation.

As a side note, from an FJR forum:
FJRForum , (same set up) some have strongly suggested pulling the cam chain cover prior to the CCT removal just to insure nothing moves. Just an FYI....

Eldberg

Reaction score
Visit site
As to the TPS, I called the local dealer's workshop. He says the only way to find out if it was replaced would be to talk to every previous owner. Yamaha Sweden don't keep records except for bikes sold and recalled in Sweden. Also, the only way to get it replaced (if this has not been done) would be to get the parts from the USA or ship the bike back there. Markets are completely separate and I would need to talk to Yamaha USA in case the replacement was done there.

Further, he says if the bike has never stalled at a red light, there is zero reason to change the TPS. He also sounded doubtful about the CCT being the reason for the noise.

Åke

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like he just dont want to go through the hassle of replacing it for FREE because if im not mistaken its a yamaha recall, as in all the fz6s they built not just the ones in the us. I could be wrong on that but it seems like he just dont want to do the work for free, as for it stalling at redlights he is pretty much feeding you bs saying if it dont do that then its fine. yes that can happen but how many miles have you put on the bike since you got it?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From a US vehicle re-call web site (you can call Yamaha direct):

Make: YAMAHA Model: FZS600
Model Year: 2004
Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA Mfr's Report Date: SEP 27, 2006
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 06V371000 PE06020
NHTSA Action Number: PE06020
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL

Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, AN IMPROPERLY DESIGNED THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR COULD CAUSE AN INTERMITTENTLY UNSTABLE IDLE WHEN THE ENGINE IS AT IDLING SPEED WHEN THE MOTORCYCLE IS STOPPED OR DURING LOW-SPEED OPERATIONS. THE ENGINE COULD STALL AS A RESULT.
Consequence:
IF THE ENGINE STALLS AFTER THE OPERATOR DISENGAGES THE CLUTCH IN A LOW GEAR WHILE RIDING, THE REAR TIRE MIGHT SLIP MOMENTARILY IF THE OPERATOR ABRUPTLY RE-ENGAGES THE CLUTCH. THIS COULD RESULT IN A CRASH WITH INJURY OR DEATH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 16, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-888-88-YAMAHA.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

BTW, my 04 FJR had the TPS re-call as well. The dealers do get paid from Yamaha and Yamaha picks up the price of the part. I don't believe this is your "detonation problem" but who knows and it SHOULD BE FIXED as a safety issue... And No, you don't have to go thru every owner to see if its been done, that's just plain BS....

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like he just dont want to go through the hassle of replacing it for FREE because if I'm not mistaken its a yamaha recall, as in all the fz6s they built not just the ones in the us. I could be wrong on that but it seems like he just dont want to do the work for free, as for it stalling at redlights he is pretty much feeding you bs saying if it dont do that then its fine. yes that can happen but how many miles have you put on the bike since you got it?
I agree with you,
It is a Yamaha recall and not an owner issue.
I would go back to the dealer and tell them that the TPS was not done, and it is now there problem to sort it out.

Further more, I would like to add that the front sprocket was also a recall on your year model bike (which is the same as mine incidentally). If the TPS hasn't been done then you can bet the sprocket hasn't been done either.
These are mandatory safety issues. The problem lies with Yamaha to fix regardless of where the bike is now living.
Do you have any Yamaha service records for the bike that were done after the recall started.
Nelly

Last edited:

Eldberg

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the problem here is that Yamaha in Sweden will say "we don't know whether the TPS has already been replaced on your machine" or even "you didn't buy it from us so go get stuffed because it's a different market and we don't care what the US Yamaha do or say." I may have to go to Japan and threaten to commit seppuku on the lawn in front of Yamaha's head office.

Åke

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Try a different dealer then, and just lie to them telling them that you called Yamaha USA and they said it hasn't been done. Or just call Yamaha directly and tell them that the dealer is yanking you around about the tips recall and they should fix you up

Eldberg

Reaction score
Visit site
Could somebody please tell me what 1-88-888-YAMAHA corresponds to in numbers? Swedish telephones are strictly numeric, no alphabetic characters.

Åke

Eldberg

Reaction score
Visit site
I decided that the TPS change cannot have happened in the USA because according to Townsend's info above (THANKS!), recalls began in 2006 and by that time this bike was already in Sweden. So I have written to the Swedish importer, told them the story and am now waiting for what they have to say.

Åke

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Hopefully you can get it all sorted out, and once you do it will be worth it because they truely amazing bikes! Good luck