Dent Be Gone!

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
My tank is finally getting the attention its needed, i put the dent in the tank two years ago and im now finally able to repair it, got my shop cleaned up and cleared out of my 2 bro's bikes, now i get to do some sanding and painting :steve:

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ive got a ding myself that needs attention....keep some pics coming..I'll be watching...Good luck

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! im planning on taking pics through the whole process to show the step by step beginning to end, this dent has been a constant reminder to me and its time to go! so far ive feathered the paint back with some 220 grit and smoothed that out with some 320 grit now ive gotta spread the filler and do the whloe process over again, i'll be sure to provide the info for the next step.

Last edited:

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
i have 2 small dings on my tank, and i'm not sure what to do, ANY HELP.

How small you talking about? depending on the size and depth, its realitively easy to do, follow this thread and by the time im done, you should be able to do the fix yourself.

Last edited:

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Im gonna finish feathering the existing paint here in the AM and then by noon i hope to be laying down some filler, i'll take pics of the process to show the progress.

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
good work dude

but is that dent not too deep to fix with filler?

i have a dent in a simalar spot and have been told it needs to be pulled or popped out as it is too deep for filler

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
So i started the process of filling the dent in the tank today, i began by sanding the dented area and the surrounding area with 80 grit to give the filler a good surface to adhere to, i mixed up a small batch of filler at first so to just fill the dent, once it had sat for 20 mins i started sanding it down with 120 grit, when i felt it was smooth i mixed up another batch and filled the dented and surrounding area with enough filler so that i had enough outside the dented are to feather it back smooth and even with 120 grit then 320 grit, i have a lil more sanding to do before i lay done a layer of primer. Here are some pics of the process.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a comprehensive job mate,
I have had some conflicting advice with regard to re-spraying.

Some say take it back to metal as you have done, and some say that you only need to rough the area to key the surface?

Are you re-spraying the entire tank?

Nelly

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a comprehensive job mate,
I have had some conflicting advice with regard to re-spraying.

Some say take it back to metal as you have done, and some say that you only need to rough the area to key the surface?

Are you re-spraying the entire tank?

Nelly

That it is, beings that i'll be color matching/feathering the new paint into the old paint i had to take it down to metal so that i can layer the coats to match original, i'll be doing alot of wet sanding to get it all to match up well, then i'll cut it all with a heavy rubbing compound and continue to do so until it is all blended together.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks mate,

I have never attempted spraying body work other than touching up car bumpers.
Looking at the amount of work you have put in; its no wonder the quotes you get from body shops are very high.

Will you be using aerosol paint or do you have a spray gun?

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
No problem, there is a lot of work to be done to get it done right, thats why body shops charge so much, its labor intensive, the prep work is were they get you, because if the foundation isnt right the rest of it just doesnt matter, every lil blemish you see has to be taken care of or else it will show through in the final coats, and you'll be doing it all over again, patience, patience, patience, i spend most of my time in doing these jobs with the prep work. I'll be using original spray paint cans from http://www.colorrite.com/ to get this done.

Last edited:

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I painted a bike once. It turned out pretty good, but i didnt have to blend any colors together, i just painted black on the whole bike. I didnt have any dents to remove either.

Looks great!:thumbup:
If i get a dent i know who to call.

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, i appreciate the comments, if anybody has any questions on how to do this feel free to ask. I'll have some updated pics here later after work.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How small you talking about? depending on the size and depth, its relatively easy to do, follow this thread and by the time I'm done, you should be able to do the fix yourself.

2 small dings, i know it's there but people look at it and say they couldn't notice it.

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got some primer laid on it tonight and im very satisfied so far with the outcome, as much as i want go out and wet sand it im going to hold off until tomorrow to do so, patience is not a part of my gene make up but i'll contain myself for one more night.

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
I know I am going to look like an idiot but when you say wet sanding what do you mean? Do you just use water on the sand paper?