decline in MPG'S

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I hadnt thought of that, I remember looking thru them a few weeks ago when I was going through the air filter, clutch and throttle cables, etc.
iirc it was 15 and 100, which is within spec as far as that goes.
I did have the recall done on the tps in 2011, I may just try taking off the battery for a while and let the ecu clear out.

the 17t sprocket has been on it since early 2012, I havent really done a dang thing to it since then, just oil changes, chain lubing, cleaning air filter and other maintenance stuff.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Still terrible, went 171 miles on 4.008 gallons.
thats 42.7mpg.
I am out of ideas, air filter has been cleaned, fuel injector cleaner, plugs are good, it has plenty of power, as much as it always has. I have nothing, at this point I am riding the R1 FOR the gas mileage and not just for the power.

I run mine fairly hard in lower gears (1 - 2 - 3) and manage 44 mpg on avg. On long runs upwards of 50+ so this does indeed seem low for how your riding it. Have you tried different fuel from a different source and/or "PLUS" grade fuel? I'm not wanting to start a big debate but try the Mid grade fuel from reputable vendor. I have two vehicles that run like crap on a certain vendors fuel despite it "all meeting the standards" or whatever.

Aside from that;
If you really want to know, ditch the oiled filter and try a stock filter. Also, look at the plugs and confirm the gap is NOT beyond spec. With a compression ratio of 12.2:1 excessive gap leads to incomplete burns which are not always felt as misfires. So it matters even on new plugs. Personally I'd avoid the double electrode side burner OEM plug. Run a conventional end strap with either carbon or your choice of iridium/platinum or what ever suits your fancy.

Also, keep your head down! Blah

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
in recent times I have switched up the fuel grade, did nothing. If I am ever stuck and I get gas at the QT up by the highway I always notice even lower mpg's.
Havent checked the gap on the plugs... I just left the battery off and I took the FZ this week instead of the R1, on my short fill up it was 46mpg (only had 70 miles on the tank tho) should have a more accurate number by the end of the week...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I hadnt thought of that, I remember looking thru them a few weeks ago when I was going through the air filter, clutch and throttle cables, etc.
iirc it was 15 and 100, which is within spec as far as that goes.
I did have the recall done on the tps in 2011, I may just try taking off the battery for a while and let the ecu clear out.

the 17t sprocket has been on it since early 2012, I havent really done a dang thing to it since then, just oil changes, chain lubing, cleaning air filter and other maintenance stuff.

Was that mentioned before "Cleaning air filter" ??
Have you tried a plane old OEM filter? Perhaps your's is over-oil - well if its reusable filter. If it can't get air, its going to run richer and hurt the MPGs.

[MENTION=16048]FIZZER6[/MENTION] - in another thread (older) you mentioned getting less than 40 mpg. What is the status now?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Was that mentioned before "Cleaning air filter" ??
Have you tried a plane old OEM filter? Perhaps your's is over-oil - well if its reusable filter. If it can't get air, its going to run richer and hurt the MPGs.

[MENTION=16048]FIZZER6[/MENTION] - in another thread (older) you mentioned getting less than 40 mpg. What is the status now?

last year I averaged 48 mpg.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
last year I averaged 48 mpg.

How would you describe your riding? And what would you say is the rpm range that you aim for?

Also, what is your cruising speed on the highway?

Lastly, do you have the stock gearing?

I get around 30mpg, which seems very little compared to you.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
How would you describe your riding? And what would you say is the rpm range that you aim for?

Also, what is your cruising speed on the highway?

Lastly, do you have the stock gearing?

I get around 30mpg, which seems very little compared to you.

Most of my riding is country roads at 55-65 mph with very few stops. When I do cruise on the highway it's 65-70 mph and that doesn't seem to adversely affect my fuel economy.

I ride like a calm commuter, rarely shifting above 7K rpms and usually shifting at 6K and keeping the bike in the highest gear possible to keep my in the 5-6K rpm sweet (smooth) spot while cruising.

My bike is all stock except for slip on cans. I keep the throttle bodies synced and spark plugs changed at 10K mile intervals.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Most of my riding is country roads at 55-65 mph with very few stops. When I do cruise on the highway it's 65-70 mph and that doesn't seem to adversely affect my fuel economy.

I ride like a calm commuter, rarely shifting above 7K rpms and usually shifting at 6K and keeping the bike in the highest gear possible to keep my in the 5-6K rpm sweet (smooth) spot while cruising.

My bike is all stock except for slip on cans. I keep the throttle bodies synced and spark plugs changed at 10K mile intervals.

Thanks, that does indeed clear things up...

My sweet spot is 8k to 10k, and i have a 15t sprocket.

I knew my riding style was not the best for fuel mileage, but i was not expecting such a massive difference.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
8-10k rpms is into the powerband...so the computer will keep it running at a richer condition to keep in the powerband and to keep the motor healthy, running lean under load and high rpms can grenade a motor real quick..

i bet if you keep it under 8k your mpg will go wayyy up..

once it got warmer my mpg went back up, not quite where I want it, but it is at least back at 46 lol

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
true true, as long as you are happy with it, then ride it into the ground!!! thats what im going to do lol

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, that does indeed clear things up...

My sweet spot is 8k to 10k, and i have a 15t sprocket.

I knew my riding style was not the best for fuel mileage, but i was not expecting such a massive difference.

Riding at 8-10K rpms all the time? That's a big difference! haha. When I ride easy on the mountain parkways with average speeds only 45 mph I get 55 mpg easily. When I ride briskly up the mountain climb roads hitting the corners hard I only get 40 mpg.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Riding at 8-10K rpms all the time? That's a big difference! haha. When I ride easy on the mountain parkways with average speeds only 45 mph I get 55 mpg easily. When I ride briskly up the mountain climb roads hitting the corners hard I only get 40 mpg.

Well, not all the time...

When i just move along in the city or on country roads i try to keep the bike around 7 or 8k rpm, sometimes a bit lower in a turn, sometimes higher if there is a reason to do so.
I really hate going lower than 5krpm and having to deal with the long wind up back to the power band.

It is also very usual for me to go up to the red line for no real reason other than i like doing it.

Also, at highway cruising speed, which for me is usually around 85mph my bike is at 8000rpm in 6th (15t sprocket), on top of that it is not rare for me to go 100mph plus if the roads a clear and i know there are no speed cameras around.

All that makes for an average of 35mpg mixed, and it actually goes down to 30mpg on 100% highway.

Now, i really don't ride for mileage, but i still was not expecting such a massive difference!

Last edited: