De-cat link pipe..pros and cons please

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im thinking of getting one..but my mivv cans are already ear bleedingly loud..

Also I understand that not all exhaust mods give better results so if anyone has done this tell me what you think and also if you are using a secondary ecu..i feel this is where im heading with the open cans and K&N filter anyway

So will it be £60 well spent or shall i spend my money on a lifetime supply of ear plugs

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Im thinking of getting one..but my mivv cans are already ear bleedingly loud..

Also I understand that not all exhaust mods give better results so if anyone has done this tell me what you think and also if you are using a secondary ecu..i feel this is where im heading with the open cans and K&N filter anyway

So will it be £60 well spent or shall i spend my money on a lifetime supply of ear plugs
It will make cans that already loud REALLY LOUD!!! If you can get DB-killers for the Mivvs, they are worth it, if you are stuck with them as straight-through cans - then DON'T! Other road users will definitely not thank you as they will be ear-meltingly loud. My Scorpion pipes with decat pipe and DB-killers sound amazing, but I would not dare to try it without the DB-killers.

It will make your engine run better though, mine feels smoother, has no sudden powerband and probably has more power. I also have an airbox mod though.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used the Cat Eliminator pipe when I installed my Leo Vince cans. Installed all at the same time, so can't give a before/after comparison.
I don't have a PCIII installed, and I do get some popping on de-celeration (actually sounds cool), the Power Commander reduces that apparently.
Mine are still quieter than Wolfman's 2 Bros pipes, and he still has the Cat in his setup.

I still use ear-plugs ;), mainly because of my noisey helmet though.

:rockon:

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i do have DB killers but choose not to use them at this time (my twisted logic tells me i payed for a set of loud cans so deal with it..lol)

Ive been trying google proven results either way with no luck.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I still use ear-plugs ;), mainly because of my noisey helmet though.

:rockon:

I think that my problem is my helmet too ..im just using a de-peaked marushin x-moto motard helemt at the moment (purly cos it looks evil:D)

interesting what you say about the 2bros (youtube never do exhausts any justice) ..i wonder if the iphone DB meter app would be accurate..lol

anyhow im waffling on now...sanger says it improved his riding experience, anyone wanna disagree before i pull the trigger??

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
I just put my mid pipe on my set of Giannelli and they sound even better. Not really much louder just way deeper tone. Best mod i've done this winter.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
3 positives in a row..thats good enough for me..deeper is better,hopefully not so harsh on the ears..My TL is much louder but being a V twin it doesnt hurt your ears just your lungs and other internal organs

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
3 positives in a row..thats good enough for me..deeper is better,hopefully not so harsh on the ears..My TL is much louder but being a V twin it doesnt hurt your ears just your lungs and other internal organs

Let us know the results, I haven't even considered doing this yet, but you never know :D

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Pros have been listed.

Here's a con.

LA-smog-2.jpg

Leave the cat in place please. I like breathing.

Fred

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pros have been listed.

Here's a con.

Leave the cat in place please. I like breathing.

Fred

2 Words ,Koyoto Protocol

As luck would have it our bikes are blessed with 2 cats..so my bike shouldnt detract from the enjoyment of your V8 powered lawnmowers..etc

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
What does the Kyoto Protocol have to do with this? I'm pointing out the basic fact that the cat reduces exhaust emissions, and that by removing it, you're making your bike run dirtier.

The bike does have two cats, but one of them is much larger than the other, and that's the one that you're removing.

As for the rest of your reply, it's nothing but straw man and ad hominem.

You wanted to hear pros and cons, so don't get upset because I did exactly what you asked for.

Fred

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Trust me..it takes more than something as important as the envoroment to upset me.

You actually have touched on a very valid piont ..one I didn't even consider to be honest.

My reply was meant in good humour (the irony of the country you live... People in glass houses etc) but was no way aimed at you personally.

We have enganged in many threads in the past so it's not my intention to fall out over a link pipe

Dustin

MotorBoatin Son of a Btch
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my Arrow midpipe in last week from california cycle works. I might install it today on my stock exhaust i will let you know how it goes.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
OK, I see what you meant now.

I didn't look at your country of origin when I posted my original comment. I admit that the USA is one of the biggest offenders when it comes to pollution. It's not something that I'm personally proud of.

But many people seem to take great pleasure in making their bikes dirty and loud, which makes no sense at all to me. So I'll be the first to point out the smog issue every time.

Cheers,
Fred

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
with any luck the prevailing wind will sweep my smog over to the French (did i say that out loud)

you got me thinking now ..cars have a sport hi-flow cat aftermarket option i wonder what is on the market for bikes..my guess is probably nothing

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
On bikes the big problem is that there's not much extra room. If you could find the space, fitting regular car cat might do the job. On the other hand, the bike might not pump enough exhaust gas to get a car cat up the temperature. I think (and I may be wrong) that cats won't work when they're cold.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
2 Words ,Koyoto Protocol

As luck would have it our bikes are blessed with 2 cats..so my bike shouldnt detract from the enjoyment of your V8 powered lawnmowers..etc
rofl yea as if 1 600cc bike matter compared to the millions of ford F150 trucks that have been sold the last few years..

quick calculation, a ford f150 5.3 liter V8 does 5.5 kilometers on 1 liter of fuel.
My fz6 does about 18 on 1 liter, and my car 14...
so my car and bike combined are less poluting than 1 american ford f150 lol..

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
rofl yea as if 1 600cc bike matter compared to the millions of ford F150 trucks that have been sold the last few years..

quick calculation, a ford f150 5.3 liter V8 does 5.5 kilometers on 1 liter of fuel.
My fz6 does about 18 on 1 liter, and my car 14...
so my car and bike combined are less poluting than 1 american ford f150 lol..
I'd like to add an interesting point to this from the perspective of someone living in the UK. They do a bithere, but not enough to reduce emissions from vehicles (especially the massive SUVs that I'm sure most of you Americans have as well as your bikes). Mainly increasing the tax on those gas-guzzlers. Of course, anyone who can afford one doesn't really care about a couple of hundred extra pounds a year on tax. Anyway, I'll try not to go on about that as it's my pet peeve.

Cars and bikes are MOT tested every year and have to pass sound and emissions tests. There are a few of my mates with older cars that have to tweak their cars just to pass before MOT as they are too old and leaky. Bikes do NOT have to have these tests. Also, I was told when my bike was last serviced that it doesn't matter if it has a cat or not, it will still pass the MOT. Just goes to show that the goverment isn't as bothered by the pollution produced by our small engines (or wants to encourage bike ownership over cars).

Dustin

MotorBoatin Son of a Btch
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally installed my Arrow midpipe today, After removal of the Catpipe i notice it was very heavy and looking inside of it seeing how restrictive it is i know that i must have made some horepower gain....even with the stock exhaust still on. Sounds the same though. To cold to ride it to see if it had noticeable gains.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Mines still got a cat fitted,but then again my daily driver isn't exactly doing the enviroment a favour.......

Jeep5-1.jpg

One of my two 4.0 HO's