Damn the bureaucrats (a quick rant)

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A quick rant about my local council here in gwent region of Wales

My wife and i have applied for planning permission to build our dream house..in our eyes if fits perfectly within the plot and the design is in-keeping with the other 3 houses that are close by..we have already been approved for outline planning (the posistion and size of the footprint) but the planning agency rejected our full planning application on "concerns about the scale"

So the we were summoned to a meeting today with 2 members of the board and thay have asked us to scale down the proportions of the house..bare in mind there have been no complaints ,the house is set back from the roads ..basically once its built only 3 neighbours would know it was there (one of which are my parents in law who gave us the land in the first place)

So what action did they ask of us? ..lower the roof by a foot and dont build a room above the garage again to keep the roof line low.

the house has actually been designed to have the ustairs within the roof space so is already considerably lower than a conventionl house (which ironically was approved in the outline permission)

when i brought this to their attention they just dodged the question saying "this was the requirement of the planning board" and we either comply or we get turned down.

I cant help thinking these people are here just to justify a job ..i left the meeting feeling angry and fustrated as there was no genuine reason to make any changes at all ..Now i gotta wait another month and pay more architect fees now to make the ammendments...GRRRRR

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, man, what a pain in the Arse. Any chance the architect could talk to them about the current plans actually fitting the requirements?

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pay off the inspector.

Otherwise I don't know much else about your laws to be able to come up with something enough to say that it's your land and you can do what you wish with it.

You could also bring this up to the news, making a big story out of it to embarrass them. Go and measure the height of their houses and what they look like from the road, and if they are uglier or taller than your proposed house you can easily point out that they are hypocrites. The news might love that unless they are in very tight with your specific politicians.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A quick rant about my local council here in gwent region of Wales

My wife and i have applied for planning permission to build our dream house..in our eyes if fits perfectly within the plot and the design is in-keeping with the other 3 houses that are close by..we have already been approved for outline planning (the posistion and size of the footprint) but the planning agency rejected our full planning application on "concerns about the scale"

So the we were summoned to a meeting today with 2 members of the board and thay have asked us to scale down the proportions of the house..bare in mind there have been no complaints ,the house is set back from the roads ..basically once its built only 3 neighbours would know it was there (one of which are my parents in law who gave us the land in the first place)

So what action did they ask of us? ..lower the roof by a foot and dont build a room above the garage again to keep the roof line low.

the house has actually been designed to have the ustairs within the roof space so is already considerably lower than a conventionl house (which ironically was approved in the outline permission)

when i brought this to their attention they just dodged the question saying "this was the requirement of the planning board" and we either comply or we get turned down.

I cant help thinking these people are here just to justify a job ..i left the meeting feeling angry and fustrated as there was no genuine reason to make any changes at all ..Now i gotta wait another month and pay more architect fees now to make the ammendments...GRRRRR

Bloody Gwent (Monmouth) councillors! Fight them or better still, take your fight to the Argus (I think that's the local paper - it's been a while).

I'm in an aggressive mood today...... :banghead:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
People round here seem to do what they like. They don't get planning permission and break building regs. :eek:

Still I don't think living within shouting distance of the in-laws is a good idea.:D