Custom Gearing

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Everyone
I have looked around, sent several email to company's, but with no response. I was wondering if any of you knew if there was a company that makes or is willing to make a custom 6th gear ratio for the fz6. I'm not liking the tradeoff's of sproket changes.

thanks again

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you looking for a shorter or taller gear ratio?
I don't know of any company that'll do it, but I can imagine it would be very expensive for someone to do it, especially one off.

If you're looking to get lower RPM's for highway cruising, it's much easier and cheaper to go with a 17T front sprocket.

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking to go taller, the ratio difference between 5th and 6th is so small at speed that i want a true crusing gear and if i need to pass i'm not so lazy as to not just shift down. I know this would be pricy but i figure it cant be over 1 thousand.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking to go taller, the ratio difference between 5th and 6th is so small at speed that i want a true crusing gear and if i need to pass i'm not so lazy as to not just shift down. I know this would be pricy but i figure it cant be over 1 thousand.
I want this too!!! 6th gear only knocks it down 500rpm at 70ish speeds! :( No one seems to have a clue about getting it done.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree that this would be nice to have (and I'd jump in line to get such a mod).

I'm running a 17t on the front right now and it really helps with the rpm on the highway, but it'd be nice not to have to give up anything at lower speeds to have it.

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
If you find someone willing to do it, the cost would well eclipse $1000. It would in all likelihood cost more than a new bike, or two.

You can't simply add a gear set to the existing transmission. Theres not enough room on the shafts or in the cases. What that means is that every single gear, shim and clip on the main shaft and the counter shaft would have to be re-manufactured narrower to accommodate the extra set of gears. New shafts would also have to be made to properly fit and align the new gear sets as well. Narrower gear sets made out of the exact same material would compromise reliability so alternate materials would need to be used to get the same level of wear and reliability. Essentially you just built and entirely new transmission out of unobtanium.

It might be possible to add an external gear case that could be driven off the stock counter shaft, but then you get into the whole deal of lining up the rear drive sprocket and chain to the external gear drive. Once again, some pretty significant engineering and fabrication.

Bruce

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think he just wants to change the ratio of 6th, not add a 7th gear.

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
Ahh, OK. Sorry, still working on cup of coffee number two.

Still, I think finding someone that would be willing to manufacture even just one gear set, as he has said, is going to be tough. Unless they have access to the specs of the gears they would need a set to model the new ones by, etc.

The other option might be to see if an existing gear set from another bike might work. Dimensions and ratio's would be needed but the leg work required for that would be relatively free if you do it yourself. If found the costs involved would be limited to the cost of the already in production pieces and the labor of rebuilding the transmission.

Not saying it can't be done, but I have to wonder if the end results would be worth the effort and costs involved. Which of course is a purely personal thing.

Good luck though!

Bruce