Credit Card Fraud

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
Recently (end of June or first of July) I ordered a part from boats.net for my '04 FZ6. Yesterday I received a letter from them informing me that some malware had been inserted into their website, targeting the shopping cart area, and that my personal information may have been compromised.

I think that is indeed what happened, because subsequent to this my credit card company notified me that a couple of attempted purchases using my card had been made. They stopped them, cancelled my card, got me a new one etc. so all is OK now.

I am impressed that boats.net would contact me to tell me this. Perhaps there are new laws requiring them to do this? Regardless it seems to me that is the right thing to do, to tell customers of the potential problem.

This incident also affected partzilla.com. Anyone else receive such a notice?

Tom

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Knock on wood, no, haven't had any issues. Sorry to hear about your troubles, but glad to hear the CC company was on top of the problem.

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you remember if the web address where you entered your credit card info started with https:// instead of just http://? Not sure if everyone knows but the s stands for secure and I always make sure the address starts with https:// when entering personal info.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you remember if the web address where you entered your credit card info started with https:// instead of just http://? Not sure if everyone knows but the s stands for secure and I always make sure the address starts with https:// when entering personal info.

Good advice, but in this case, it wouldn't have mattered. Their web sites (boats.net & partzilla.com) got hacked and the bad guys were able to capture the information entered into the shopping carts when users made purchases. Apparently this started in December of 2012, but they didn't catch it until July of this year. :spank: I was one of the victims but fortunately my bank called me about someone in Texas (I live in Washington) trying to make a $2,500 charge. Had to cancel the card and get a new one, which was a major hassle but not near the hassle it would have been if the bank hadn't been on their toes. Too bad boats.net/partzilla.com weren't on their toes.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Recently (end of June or first of July) I ordered a part from boats.net for my '04 FZ6. Yesterday I received a letter from them informing me that some malware had been inserted into their website, targeting the shopping cart area, and that my personal information may have been compromised.

I think that is indeed what happened, because subsequent to this my credit card company notified me that a couple of attempted purchases using my card had been made. They stopped them, cancelled my card, got me a new one etc. so all is OK now.

I am impressed that boats.net would contact me to tell me this. Perhaps there are new laws requiring them to do this? Regardless it seems to me that is the right thing to do, to tell customers of the potential problem.

This incident also affected partzilla.com. Anyone else receive such a notice?

Tom

Tom - yes I got a letter from a CPA firm located in Florida notifying me about the compromised credit card data. I had bought gloves from Revzilla back around March this year. It took many months for my bank to inform me I needed a new debit card (recently, perhaps 2-3 weeks ago). Luckily there were no fraud charges and the card had been replaced as an action by their early warning department.

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone NOT have had at least one credit card closed and and then re-issued due to fraud? It's getting ridiculous.

I got my first "chip" credit card recently, Does this mean that I have to wear one of those tin can wallets to guard against RF (I don't remember the term) hackers? Geesh.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site

Same here. I had a call from the bank and an email from boats.net same day.
Had to cancel credit card.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone NOT have had at least one credit card closed and and then re-issued due to fraud? It's getting ridiculous.

I got my first "chip" credit card recently, Does this mean that I have to wear one of those tin can wallets to guard against RF (I don't remember the term) hackers? Geesh.

Tailgate - I think you may mean RFID? tiny chip embedded.. these have been around a good while. We first started using them in our plants perhaps 10 years ago to identify how products move through our supply chain and out the door to large customers. At at the time it was being mandated by Walmart. Walmart changed the consumer packaged goods industry in that way and forced manufactures to follow or lose a significant chunk of yearly revenue.

As for needing a shield to guard about stolen id information from the rfid chip? This had been an early IT concern back then. If I had to issue a guess I would say that chip doesn't store data that can directly harm you if hacked. In all likelihood it contains metadata which simply can link to other identifying data stored on secured in an encrypted protocol. There is a security protocol to gain access to the server data so what is sent via rfid reader should not be able to harm you without a hack for security held on the server.

as a side note I have often wondered how the toll authorities sort through millions of transactions generated by ezpass tag toll collection. If my data is traveling around with me in the car/bike beaming it to rfid readers at high speed, is this safe? The answer so far has been yes it is safe.

I've got my flame suit on. Have at it guys!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my notice yesterday! Same thing, purchases from Partzilla or Boatsnet. No unauthorized purchases yet.

Needless to say, the card has been cancelled, a new one's in the mail. (I only have one card)

Next, the joy of e-mailing and calling numerous auto pay accounts, Pay Pal, etc, changing to the new #...

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
This has happened to us maybe 3 times in the past coupe of years...I wish these idiots doing this crap would get a real job and earn money the right way.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Several years back I had taken a trip to Chicago. About 6 months afterward I was on my way to work and get a call that my credit card was being used in Chicago. They figured it was fraud because two purchases for $1ish were made at a gas station then they attempted to buy a TV from walmart for like a grand. Charges were stopped of course and they were attempting to keep the people at Walmart to catch them.

I guess they can capture your info when you use your card at a bar/restaurant then they wait about 6 months to a year after they make a clone card. They go and make a couple of small purchases before going for something big.