Crashed ... again :)

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
nice video! too bad about the low side, but it's part of the game right! :) Can you tell us what you think happened?

Thanks for sharing...

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I lowsided during the previous Thursday practice and was on the verge of highsiding the session after haha - as you said - it's part of the game :)

Well it was all just bad body position. Wasn't hanging off nearly enough, got the bike too low and ate some asphalt and gravel for lunch :) I have trouble securing myself well to this bike which in turn leads to excessive, unnecessary lean angles and the occasional bad handlebar input midturn. I'm still working on fixing this issue so unless I figure it out soon - expect more of these vids from me :D

P.S.

Totally unrelated - just found this image and got a kick out of it so I thought I'd share :)

hahahahat.jpg

Last edited:

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ go ahead and shoot! I'm still not sure whether it was all bad body position or something else since I think I got the bike lower on the previous lap and I didn't lowside then.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I lowsided during the previous Thursday practice and was on the verge of highsiding the session after haha - as you said - it's part of the game :)

Well it was all just bad body position. Wasn't hanging off nearly enough, got the bike too low and ate some asphalt and gravel for lunch :) I have trouble securing myself well to this bike which in turn leads to excessive, unnecessary lean angles and the occasional bad handlebar input midturn. I'm still working on fixing this issue so unless I figure it out soon - expect more of these vids from me :D

P.S.

Totally unrelated - just found this image and got a kick out of it so I thought I'd share :)

hahahahat.jpg

lol @ the pic!!

While you figure it out, and if you want to limit these types of videos, you know you have the option to slow down a bit right? lol I know it's hard, I have that problem myself :thumbup:

Props for having such a positive attitude about it all... that's what it takes to keep going and get better!

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
Wavex: some of my friends that are waaay waaaaaaaay faster than me log a crash or two every single time they are at the track. One of them started with a brand new 600rr in the beginning of the season and is now looking for a new bike :p I take it as something totally normal so I had the biggest smile on my face when I stood up and found my camera in the dirt - still shooting :):) The fact that I had it all on video totally made my day haha

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
oh and BTW, it did look like you "chopped the throttle" mid-turn which -with the body position issue you noticed- appears to have participated in the loss of traction (rear tire first it looks like?)...

Wavex: some of my friends that are waaay waaaaaaaay faster than me log a crash or two every single time they are at the track. One of them started with a brand new 600rr in the beginning of the season and is now looking for a new bike :p I take it as something totally normal so I had the biggest smile on my face when I stood up and found my camera in the dirt - still shooting :):) The fact that I had it all on video totally made my day haha

lol I am not sure that's "normal" per se, but yeah it happens... I crashed once on the track in like 6 or 7 track days... but yeah, when I heard there was video of my crash I was very happy... ended up disappointed that he caught everything except the actual crash itself lol

Last edited:

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
oh and BTW, it did look like you "chopped the throttle" mid-turn which -with the body position issue you noticed- appears to have participated in the loss of traction (rear tire first it looks like?)...

lol I am not sure that's "normal" per se, but yeah it happens... I crashed once on the track in like 6 or 7 track days... but yeah, when I heard there was video of my crash I was very happy... ended up disappointed that he caught everything except the actual crash itself lol

Oh I know the disappointment from the missing footage. I pushed the front pretty hard on a couple of occasions and then slid the back a little in the very first session of the day and was so hyped that I got it all on camera ... just to go back, upload the videos and realize the camera was in picture mode :spank:

As for "chopping the throttle" - dude this comment devastated me lol. Does it really sound like I chopped the throttle? I was pretty happy that I kept a steady maintenance throttle with a hint of acceleration all the time and kinda assumed throttle was out of the equation in this case. I'm gonna kick myself if I crashed cos of the newbiest of all mistakes argh :spank:

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Zmeiaspas,

I agree with your inital assessment that you weren't hanging off enough (which may have made you chop the throttle a little) Sorry for your troubles. At least you have a good attitude about it.;)

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't notice it at first, but totally agree with others that this crash was likely caused by poor body position on the bike.

As I was watching the video, you could see hard parts dragging which unloaded the tires and caused the low-side crash. It makes sense that hanging off the bike more would reduce the necessity of leaning the bike over so far.

Looks like my initial assessment was only partly correct. That's why I hang out here:thumbup: Knowledge is good!

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
The video shows you putting out a leg and pitting @2:38, then resumes on track for your incident. Did you crash at the beginning of a new session? If so, it seems to be a cold rear tire spinning up. You were accelerating when it happened (from my perspective), not chopping the throttle.

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't notice it at first, but totally agree with others that this crash was likely caused by poor body position on the bike.

As I was watching the video, you could see hard parts dragging which unloaded the tires and caused the low-side crash. It makes sense that hanging off the bike more would reduce the necessity of leaning the bike over so far.

Looks like my initial assessment was only partly correct. That's why I hang out here:thumbup: Knowledge is good!

Agreed on the body position but I did not drag any hard parts (although I was close).

The video shows you putting out a leg and pitting @2:38, then resumes on track for your incident. Did you crash at the beginning of a new session? If so, it seems to be a cold rear tire spinning up. You were accelerating when it happened (from my perspective), not chopping the throttle.

Nah I just threw a bunch of footage together from the entire Thursday (total of 11 sessions). I crashed on the very last lap of the very last session I did that day. I was about to pit in as my legs were already killing me and I was pretty tired but wanted to put another lap so instead of raising my left arm and pitting in like a good boy I decided to go do one last spin. So it started by getting a false neutral after the front straight and totally blowing T1 (not a big deal since you can follow the nascar track and join back @ T2), I then went wide in T3 and then to top it off lowsided @ T6. It was a VERY VERY hot day btw and my tires (as well as me) were boiling. So definitely no cold tires.

And not sure about the rear spin - you may be right but I usually feel when I lose the rear and this time I just hit the ground without getting any feedback from any of the tires. I don't know - it may have just happened so fast that I didn't have enough time to even feel losing traction.

Btw, one thing to note is that this turn is a "bowl"-type of turn - i.e. you go down a hill, do the turn and somewhere around the apex you start climbing back up so I was thinking that my line could have played a role too. I did not take the deeper and more gradual line that a lot of people take but I kinda entered the turn early and hit the point of elevation change head-on (not sure if that even makes sense ... don't know how to explain it).

Oh well - I'm sure I've probably made a bunch of mistakes but I think 90% of this crash is just body position and possibly making an unintentional handlebar input. I was not supposed to be on the verge of dragging my race rearsets at the speed I was going (I'm one of the slow guys out there).

Last edited:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I know the disappointment from the missing footage. I pushed the front pretty hard on a couple of occasions and then slid the back a little in the very first session of the day and was so hyped that I got it all on camera ... just to go back, upload the videos and realize the camera was in picture mode :spank:

As for "chopping the throttle" - dude this comment devastated me lol. Does it really sound like I chopped the throttle? I was pretty happy that I kept a steady maintenance throttle with a hint of acceleration all the time and kinda assumed throttle was out of the equation in this case. I'm gonna kick myself if I crashed cos of the newbiest of all mistakes argh :spank:

lol I had my GoPro on picture mode during our Cali Trip and went through the trouble of carrying it and using it over 4 days for nothing!!! talk about :spank::spank::spank:

I cannot watch youtube vids from work so I checked it out on my iphone (with almost no sound)... so I am probably wrong on the chopped throttle if you don't think you did...

John makes a good point about possible cold tires...

oh and my crash was even worse in terms of "newbiness" :) I went WOT while still leaned over coming out of a corner with the road dropping quite dramatically below me (steep down hill)... That's why we do it all at the track :cheer:

:edit: nvm about cold tires :)

Last edited:

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
lol I had my GoPro on picture mode during our Cali Trip and went through the trouble of carrying it and using it over 4 days for nothing!!! talk about :spank::spank::spank:

I cannot watch youtube vids from work so I checked it out on my iphone (with almost no sound)... so I am probably wrong on the chopped throttle if you don't think you did...

John makes a good point about possible cold tires...

oh and my crash was even worse in terms of "newbiness" :) I went WOT while still leaned over coming out of a corner with the road dropping quite dramatically below me (steep down hill)... That's why we do it all at the track :cheer:

:edit: nvm about cold tires :)

Holy ****!!!! I would be PISSED OFF if I didn't realize my camera was in picture mode all day. Wow dude I totally feel for ya. There's nothing worse than being happy about catching something cool on camera just to get back and realize the there's nothing on the memory card...

You know, when I got rearended on my first street bike I was actually thinking that the whole thing was on camera so I sat over there on the side of the road, kept on recording and waving to the camera, showing the damage and ****, showing the damage on the car that hit me, talking about the crash while people are passing by in their cars and stuff, recording the cop asking me questions, etc, etc. So I finally go back home 5 hours later, threw all my stuff on the couch, went up to my room, connected the camera, opened up windows explorer and found JACK ****. Turned out my batteries died less than a minute before my accident ...

implied-facepalm.jpg

As for your track crash - hahaha that's EXACTLY how I almost highsided the previous Thursday (only I was going up on an off-camber turn :p). But yeah - that's why we are at the track ... to do dumb sh*t one after the other and then laugh at it :cheer::rockon::thumbup:

Last edited:

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
How is your 636 doing after all that? we need recent pics :D

I wasn't too pissed about the gopro 'cose I had other multimedia toys that worked fine... check it out here (video on page 7 too) http://www.600riders.com/forum/im-g...46-epic-california-ride-now-pics-video-5.html

Holy ****!! That was the bestest and awesomest short-movie type of motorcycle youtube video I've seen! I totally loved it! Background music was soooo incredibly fitting and the scenery was nothing short of amazing. Oh man, you know, hitting the track and going balls to the wall like a mental hamster is fun and all but nothing is as fun as going on a slower, relaxing LOOOOONG ride and just enjoying the scenery and the open road. Beautiful stuff. Every single time I stop by advrider or come across a video like yours I immediately tell myself to stop drooling over the S1000RR or the '11 ZX10R and to just get a KLR and go experience some real off-the-track riding. Beautiful stuff Wavex! :rockon:

As for my ZX - here's the state I got her in

zx1i.jpg

here's she after my lowside 2 Thursdays ago:

zx2.jpg

and here's she after last Thursday's lowside:

zx3s.jpg

None of the crashes caused any mechanical issues and she runs as good as new. My fairings (front, side and tail) are totally FUBAR. I was on the verge of losing my tail at one point and also got black-flagged because my front fairing was about to fall off but that was nothing that some duct tape, safety wire and zip ties could not take care of :) You can't really see it but that frame slider is the main reason why my fairings are not falling off at the moment. Oh and my tank did kinda fall off during both crashes because it's actually not attached to the top of the frame (I think the threads are stripped or something cos there are no bolts in there haha) :BLAA:

:rockon::rockon:

Last edited:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
lmao!!! ur insane :D

You should really fix all these mechanical issues (tank!!!) before going back out (I am ok with zip ties on the fairings though -cosmetic stuff doesn't matter as long as it's solid- and didn't like the stickers anyway :D).

Thx for the nice comment about the video... I need a little bit of both types of riding to be satisfied :)