Couple of Questions

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

Just wondering where you all buy your stuff from ? Looking for a FZ1 bar, $100 from a dealer, checked ebay but found nothing. Is $100 a good price ?

I am guessing ebay is the way to go for exhausts though compared to buying in Aus ... Is that where everyone else has bought there stuff from ?

And finally fuel question ... Bike has had first service, first full tank (98RON) I managed about 173km before hitting reserve .... Why is my fuel mileage so bad ? From what I have read 43-50MPG is average, but is that for the faired bikes ? I am assuming mine being a naked bike would be alot worse ....

Thanks

Russ

Azz

Angry Hornet
Elite Member
Reaction score
4zzdawg.com
Hey all,

Just wondering where you all buy your stuff from ? Looking for a FZ1 bar, $100 from a dealer, checked ebay but found nothing. Is $100 a good price ?

I am guessing ebay is the way to go for exhausts though compared to buying in Aus ... Is that where everyone else has bought there stuff from ?

And finally fuel question ... Bike has had first service, first full tank (98RON) I managed about 173km before hitting reserve .... Why is my fuel mileage so bad ? From what I have read 43-50MPG is average, but is that for the faired bikes ? I am assuming mine being a naked bike would be alot worse ....

Thanks

Russ

As far as I know ebay's generally the cheapest for exhausts, and that's where I'd be going.

With the bars, I've been looking at getting ProTapers or Renthals, and from what I've been looking at they look cheaper than $100, but that could be my memory dying.

With the fuel, I generally get about 280KM on 91RON before hitting reserve on my naked.. could be something to do with the service though (or the type of riding you're doing).

Good luck :D

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I got 190 before hitting reserve when I filled up today...
First few things to remember is reserve is about 4-5 litres, so you can get almost another 33% of what you have done so far when it starts flashing (not that I'd push it that far).
If your on the open road it should be alot better however (I only really city ride at the moment :(... )

I have a feeling the people who quote the amazing fuel economy are normally the weekend warriors going on extremely long rides on the open road especially the americans! I have had those kind of figures, but they aren't really an accurate portrayal of normal riding unless your literally on the freeway cruising at 110+ in top gear the whole way.

Ebay or many of the US dealers are definately the best way to go price wise although even the Australian dealers manage something every now and then, BGW has had the PAZZO levers really cheap for a while now, easily comparable to most US prices.

If you get an exhaust from the states make sure its valued at less than 1000$ so you don't pay import duties on it too!

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

Thanks

Russ
Remember anything motorized has a break in period.

By this I mean you will get to a point where all the internals wear in causing less friction giving you better fuel consumption.

For some vehicles there may be a major difference between new and broken in.

JustinID

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a feeling the people who quote the amazing fuel economy are normally the weekend warriors going on extremely long rides on the open road especially the americans! I have had those kind of figures, but they aren't really an accurate portrayal of normal riding unless your literally on the freeway cruising at 110+ in top gear the whole way.

I just wanted to share my MPG observations. I get about 54 miles per US gallon. My driving is mostly around town at 40-50 MPH (a few miles at 60 MPH), all in 6th gear. There are quite a few lights along my 14 mile commute, so I do get a fair bit of stop and go (not a ton, but some). The 17T front sprocket is getting me about an extra 5%, so even with out that, I still get about 52. The real key for me has been easy-moderate acceleration and using the highest gear possible with out bogging the engine down once I'm up to speed (about a minimum of 3100-3200 RPM). Downshifting for accelerating helps too.

I need to log more miles on the freeway to verify my numbers, but I actually get a little bit worse mileage going 60-70 MPH for most of my drive. The upside is no traffic lights... If I could get a long drive where I could maintain about 50 MPH with no stop lights, I'm willing to bet I'd get over 60MPG.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
What? No, don't buy it for $100. I got mine for $45 off ebay. You can definitely find a better price than $100.

Azz

Angry Hornet
Elite Member
Reaction score
4zzdawg.com
I think I got 190 before hitting reserve when I filled up today...
First few things to remember is reserve is about 4-5 litres, so you can get almost another 33% of what you have done so far when it starts flashing (not that I'd push it that far).
If your on the open road it should be alot better however (I only really city ride at the moment :(... )

Ebay or many of the US dealers are definately the best way to go price wise although even the Australian dealers manage something every now and then, BGW has had the PAZZO levers really cheap for a while now, easily comparable to most US prices.

If you get an exhaust from the states make sure its valued at less than 1000$ so you don't pay import duties on it too!

My average of 280KM per tank stands whether I'm going to uni every day of the week, or riding through the twisties. University is about 25KMs highway (which is often a carpark), 10KMs city.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add, I always make a point of filling the tank the WHOLE way, until one more drop will make it overflow, so that could be part of it.

Last edited:

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
What? No, don't buy it for $100. I got mine for $45 off ebay. You can definitely find a better price than $100.

Where abouts is that ? I did find a Aus link to a handle bar that looks like a FZ1 bar but it was chromed and not sure about the quality.

Thanks everyone for the advice and links :) Seems like my bike might still need a bit more breaking in !

Oh the other named bars reth etc I noticed in a motorcycle shop are about $150. And where do you find Scorpion exhausts ? I tried ebay but only had one hit and it was the same price as a two brothers system. Scorps look GOOD :)

Last edited:

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site

How ffffing hard were you riding it????

Oh, um, yeah ive had it almost dead empty after 220km.

The best run ive had is about 375km from a tank (with a very nervous 50km run on reserve, never riding it out that far again). Worst is the aforementioned 220km on a really 'good' day out.

Everyday riding, id get between 275-320km a tank.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks

Russ

173km to hit reserve sounds fine to me. As it loosens up you'll get a little more, but don't expect miracles. In order to get spectacular mileage, you'll need to back off...lol. Worst I ever got was a track day. Hit reserve at 127km if I remember rightly. Best ever was highway with a tailwind, for 353km-ish...Talem Bend to Mount Gambier.....was pretty scarey the last 20km or so...lol.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done 80km's on the reserve tank if that tells you anything :p and it still didn't take the full 19 litres.
That was on country roads/freeway cruising at about 130.

I never ride in anything above 3rd if I'm doing city riding however the max speed is basically 60km/h (aprox 40mph) since traffic is generally bad, and the lights in sydney seem to be getting worse with each passing day (no real flow of traffic).
I could probably ride to work without getting past 2nd in fact, but I just prefer being in the powerband in the city.

I don't generally spend much time worrying about effeciency tho :D

Best bet on getting prices for products is to find the product you want and viable equal quality alternatives, then searching ebay and google to find them, this will include US shops that generally have good prices, even if they aren't on ebay.
I saved about 150$ by making an offer on a shops ebay sale, and it took them 2 weeks to reply but they took my offer.