Could this be the holy grail of fork upgrade!!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the spring compressor I went with. The wallet is taking a hit but it seems to be the best choice in terms of safety and ease of servicing forks solo.
Race Tech Fork Spring Compressor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GV6UIE

I ran across this tool and it might work as a much cheaper solution. Looks like it would take a lot of grunt pressing down the spacer while a 2nd person gets the clip in if I understand how it's to be used.
Universal Motorcycle Fork Spring Compressor Tool Kit By Traxxion Dynamics | eBay

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Omnia Racing wrote back to assure me that the spring length was correct for their cartridge kit and encouraged me to complete the install.
My spring compressor is still in the mail but I was able to muscle the preload spacer and spring down just far enough that an assistant could get pliers in under the nut for tightening against the cap.
I'm running with the suggested base settings for compression and rebound.
Just one short test ride so far - front end feels great. Very confidence inspiring on the brakes and it glides over small bumps.
More riding needing and soon I'll be shopping for a shock.

DSC_6446.jpg

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Got a shock ordered up- Ohlins YA 403 from Cogent Dynamics where a lot of FJ-09 riders are getting suspension help. Cogent is having the shock drop-shipped direct to me from Ohlins and appropriately sprung. Good guys. They beat the retail online prices, too.
http://www.motocd.com/

For anyone going for the Andreani fork upgrade, you'll need:
  • Ohlins 01309 fork oil
  • 2x 17mm wrenches (for jam nut and preload)
  • 24mm wrench for stock fork caps (or socket if you don't mind removing handlebar)
  • 30mm wrench for Andreani fork caps
  • Vise
  • Bastard file in the place of a lathe for bushing removal (don't need dremel)
  • Air impact gun for the lower fork bolt (fork internals spin with the bolt otherwise)
  • Bearing press for fork seal or PVC pipe with mallet (2" ID will work if you slot the end and taper it)
  • Metric hex set including 19mm for front wheel removal
  • Torque wrench for front wheel reinstall

Recommended:

Last edited:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
50 mile country ride today. The front end inspires confidence.

A lot of the twisties around here are forested and that's where the road surface is generally poorest. The worst of it really causes problems for the rear so looking forward to getting the replacement shock in soon.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately my left fork leg is leaking. My bad for not replacing the seals so got the fork seal kit on order. $28, shouldn't have cheaped out! Added to the recommended list.

Installed the new shock tonight. Practically drops right in. Clear FZ6 specific instructions.

Preload and rebound were pre-set by Ohlins USA for my weight and riding style. Looking forward to testing the now complete suspension package.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
55 mile country ride today with my left fork bandaged with a white shop towel and zip tie.

With the front and rear suspension now working together, the bike feels easier to take through the corners, like the shock added another 20% to the handling.

On the damaged roads around here, while the ride doesn't feel plush the bike no longer gets upset.

Confidence is up, riding is up :rockon:

timbo

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a shock ordered up- Ohlins YA 403 from Cogent Dynamics where a lot of FJ-09 riders are getting suspension help. Cogent is having the shock drop-shipped direct to me from Ohlins and appropriately sprung. Good guys. They beat the retail online prices, too.
http://www.motocd.com/

For anyone going for the Andreani fork upgrade, you'll need:
  • Ohlins 01309 fork oil
  • 2x 17mm wrenches (for jam nut and preload)
  • 24mm wrench for stock fork caps (or socket if you don't mind removing handlebar)
  • 30mm wrench for Andreani fork caps
  • Vise
  • Bastard file in the place of a lathe for bushing removal (don't need dremel)
  • Air impact gun for the lower fork bolt (fork internals spin with the bolt otherwise)
  • Bearing press for fork seal or PVC pipe with mallet (2" ID will work if you slot the end and taper it)
  • Metric hex set including 19mm for front wheel removal
  • Torque wrench for front wheel reinstall

Recommended:

Hi Darius. You inspired me to do the Andreani fork mod. Great write-up. Just to be sure I'm not missing something, you didn't need to install new bushings after filing down the old ones? Just want to be sure I have everything before getting started. Thanks.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To those that have used the cartridge kit, what did you have before the upgrade? I'd just like to hear the basis of comparison.

I found the OEM set-up of the FZ to be one of the most vague and spooky bikes I had ever ridden on the street. I updated the forks with Racetech Gold Valve Emulators and proper springs. I adjusted the oil height and weight to get rebound just where I wanted it and also took time to get my sag properly dialed in. I find the suspension is now complaint (good ride) and predictable (good confidence for handling and braking). Total investment for this change was around $250 ($140 GVE, $100 springs, $10 oil).

What is the investment for the inserts?

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
The instructions included and posted here are accurate. Remove everything that they say to remove and reinstall everything that is shown.

There will be a bunch of OEM fork guts left over. This includes the OEM bushing in "pic9". You're literally essentially emptying the forks of the cheapo damping rod system and replacing with whole new internals after all.

The bike feels great in my early season riding w/ the Andreani cartridge upgrade and Ohlins shock.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Got a shock ordered up- Ohlins YA 403 from Cogent Dynamics where a lot of FJ-09 riders are getting suspension help.

I went to the Cogent Dynamics website, but for the FJ-09 all they have listed is their "own" Cogent Dynamics branded shock. My guess that this is sourced from an off-shore company (most likely China). It appears to be an emulsion shock with provision for rebound adjustment on the lower part of the shock. Is the shock you received? Are the eye-to-eye length and mounting holes the same for the FJ as they are for the FZ? What rate spring did they use?

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I went to the Cogent Dynamics website, but for the FJ-09 all they have listed is their "own" Cogent Dynamics branded shock. My guess that this is sourced from an off-shore company (most likely China). It appears to be an emulsion shock with provision for rebound adjustment on the lower part of the shock. Is the shock you received? Are the eye-to-eye length and mounting holes the same for the FJ as they are for the FZ? What rate spring did they use?

Cogent drop shipped to me directly from Ohlins USA.
It was a genuine Ohlins YA-403 Shock type S46ER1
I don't have the spring rate handy but it was set for my weight by Ohlins including preload.
It was direct replacement and I have not changed anything.

I don't know the FJ-09. I recommend giving Cogent a call. They're good folks.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I've caught my left fork cap leaking a couple of times since replacing the main fork seal. I used teflon tape on the cap threads and that seemed to help.

After a 40 mile ride this morning I've found it's still leaking slightly. There's traces of fork oil around the compression adjustment screw so perhaps its trickling down from there.

I added a tiny amount of preload and fully closed the compression screw then to 2.5 turns out (2 turns out is Andreani baseline.)

If it still leaks, I'll contact Andreani for advice.

Edit: Compressed the forks deep several times and it's seeping from just the cap this time. I swapped to original Yamaha OEM O-ring and repeated the fork compressions. Seems resolved. I'd better order up some spare O-rings.

Last edited:

Doctor T

Reaction score
Visit site
so what's the update on using adreani cartridges?
heard some people complain about rough ride at a high speed. can you confirm that?

also I understand that R6s forks are naturally shorter than FZ6 thus making the bike tilting forward a bit. that's why adreani is more neat upgrade.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
so what's the update on using adreani cartridges?
heard some people complain about rough ride at a high speed. can you confirm that?

also I understand that R6s forks are naturally shorter than FZ6 thus making the bike tilting forward a bit. that's why adreani is more neat upgrade.
FYI on the shorter R6 forks, they are little shorter. Nothing you notice when looking at the bike. But shorter means a reduced rake and trail, which makes the bike turn more easily. When I did the upgrade, I immediately noticed the newfound agility. I never felt that the FZ6 was sluggish until I did the swap.

I hear good things about the adreani upgrade, so I think you have 2 good choices. With the R6 fork swap, you can either sell the original forks or keep them to install when you sell the bike, then sell the R6 forks. Either way you can recover some of the cost of the upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk