Could have heard a pin drop

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thought this was the most appropriate place... It was sent to me, so I cannot take any credit nor can vouch for the accuracy of the statements...

You could have heard a pin drop.

When in England , at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building by George Bush. He answered by saying, 'Over the years, the United
States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return.'

There was a conference in France where a number of international engineers were taking part, including French and American. During a break, one of the French engineers came back into the room saying 'Have you heard the latest
dumb stunt Bush has don e? He has sent an aircraft carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims. What does he intended to do, bomb them?'
A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly: 'Our carriers have three hospitals on board that can treat several hundred people; they are nuclear powere d and can supply emergency electrical power to shore facilities; they
have three cafeterias with the capacity to feed 3,000 people three meals a day, they can produce several thousand gallons of fresh water from sea water each day, and they carry half a dozen helicopters for use in transporting victims and injured to and from their flight deck. We have eleven such ships; how many does France have?'

A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S. , English, Canadian, Australian and French Navies. At a ****tail reception, he found himself standing with a large group of Officers that included personnel from most of those countries. Everyone was chat ting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn
only English.' He then asked, 'Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than speaking French?' Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied 'Maybe it's because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged20it so you wouldn't have to speak German.'

I truely apologize if this has offended anyone - not meant to!

Careful. If you keep it up, you'll end up with another one of these guys riding your butt:

NapoleonBike.jpg

I like french toast, and french fries.. that about concludes my sentences that have both the words "like" and "french" in them.

France :ban:

Last edited:
OUTSTANDING!:thumbup::thumbup::america::america::america:

Thought this was the most appropriate place... It was sent to me, so I cannot take any credit nor can vouch for the accuracy of the statements...

When in England , at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building by George Bush. He answered by saying, 'Over the years, the United
States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return.'

There was a conference in France where a number of international engineers were taking part, including French and American. During a break, one of the French engineers came back into the room saying 'Have you heard the latest
dumb stunt Bush has don e? He has sent an aircraft carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims. What does he intended to do, bomb them?'
A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly: 'Our carriers have three hospitals on board that can treat several hundred people; they are nuclear powere d and can supply emergency electrical power to shore facilities; they
have three cafeterias with the capacity to feed 3,000 people three meals a day, they can produce several thousand gallons of fresh water from sea water each day, and they carry half a dozen helicopters for use in transporting victims and injured to and from their flight deck. We have eleven such ships; how many does France have?'

A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S. , English, Canadian, Australian and French Navies. At a ****tail reception, he found himself standing with a large group of Officers that included personnel from most of those countries. Everyone was chat ting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn
only English.' He then asked, 'Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than speaking French?' Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied 'Maybe it's because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged20it so you wouldn't have to speak German.'

Not trying to put down Brits, Aussies, Canadians or Americans, - but it would be good if the world remembered that they did not win WWII by themselves.
Every occupied country/state in Europe and Asia had a resistance movement which, with great sacrifices, played a very important role in the war.

That put aside, - great post!!

The first one makes you think of the true cost of conflict.
The second re-enforces the old saying "Never judge a book by its cover".

The third one killed me LMAO.
Have you ever been to France and tried to speak French? When ever I have, I have always been answered back in English. Is this because they want to show me that they are:
a. Better at English than I am at French.
b. Trying to be helpful?

Nelly
Nelly

Thought this was the most appropriate place... You could have heard a pin drop

Keeping with the theme,

We have a very good Orthopaedic Surgeon at our hospital. A big loud, larger than life rugby player.

One day he walked into the OR to perform Hip surgery on a very obese patient.
The patient was already draped up and on the table.

The Surgeon says
"Oh great another fat bastard to do, why can't people look after themselves"?

The Anesthetist looked up and said

"These spinal blocks are great aren't they" [spinal blocks remove the need to anesthetize the patient, The patient heard every word]

Nelly

The first one makes you think of the true cost of conflict.
The second re-enforces the old saying \\"Never judge a book by its cover\\".

The third one killed me LMAO.
Have you ever been to France and tried to speak French? When ever I have, I have always been answered back in English. Is this because they want to show me that they are:
a. Better at English than I am at French.
b. Trying to be helpful?

Nelly
Nelly

Well,- last time I went to the UK, half the people I meat in the streets did not answer politely put questions about finding my way ....,- now is this due to:
a. To stiff upper lips to speak?
b. Just did not have time to stop.

Her in Denmark many people won't answer a question put by a tourist either. Now is this becourse:
a. They are to drunk?
b. They just don't have the time.

And you could go on and on .....

Last edited:
G.W Bush.............." They must have weapons of mass destruction...we gave them to them.........You could have heard a pin drop.

Well,- last time I went to the UK,

I am not French bashing here, I have French relatives. I always try and speak the lingo when abroad. I believe that it demonstrates respect for the place I am visiting.

Sadly, I can be about 80% right in saying that in the UK we have lost respect for each other:(. A tourist will be very low down on the list.

Nelly

Before this gets too out of hand, this forum and others are here to remind us that as humans we have much more in common than that which would separate us. For starters, everyone here is privelaged to live in a civilized land that allows us to chat freely on the internet and ride the lovely vehicle known as the FZ6.

Before this gets too out of hand, this forum and others are here to remind us that as humans we have much more in common than that which would separate us. For starters, everyone here is privelaged to live in a civilized land that allows us to chat freely on the internet and ride the lovely vehicle known as the FZ6.

:) Don't think it would get out of hand.
This being the underground forum, - no one should get personally insulted by anything written here.
However you are right, - freedom of speech as one of the best ideas we ever got :) (Not sure who came up with it, - but it rocks :rockon:)

Keeping with the theme,

We have a very good Orthopaedic Surgeon at our hospital. A big loud, larger than life rugby player.

One day he walked into the OR to perform Hip surgery on a very obese patient.
The patient was already draped up and on the table.

The Surgeon says
\"Oh great another fat bastard to do, why can't people look after themselves\"?

The Anesthetist looked up and said

\"These spinal blocks are great aren't they\" [spinal blocks remove the need to anesthetize the patient, The patient heard every word]

Nelly

Oh... No... :eek:

That one is good!

However you are right, - freedom of speech as one of the best ideas we ever got :) (Not sure who came up with it, - but it rocks :rockon:)
Apparently the idea of free speech is based in Islam ........ sure gave me something to think about .....
The again, its seldom the religion that's wrong, - is more often the religious ....

Apparently the idea of free speech is based in Islam ........ sure gave me something to think about .....
The again, its seldom the religion that's wrong, - is more often the religious ....

You may be right here, but I'm pretty sure that most of western civilization owes it's thanks to Thomas Paine for most of the freedom's we enjoy today. Most notably "The Rights of Man" since that's what really got the American colonists fired up. Or so I've been taught.

You may be right here, but I'm pretty sure that most of western civilization owes it's thanks to Thomas Paine for most of the freedom's we enjoy today. Most notably \\"The Rights of Man\\" since that's what really got the American colonists fired up. Or so I've been taught.

From Wiki:

Freedom of speech and expression has a long history that predates modern international human rights instruments. In Islamic ethics freedom of speech was first declared in the Rashidun period by the caliph Umar in the 7th century.[5] In the Abbasid Caliphate period, freedom of speech was also declared by al-Hashimi (a cousin of Caliph al-Ma'mun) in a letter to one of the religious opponents he was attempting to convert through reason.[6] According to George Makdisi and Hugh Goddard, "the idea of academic freedom" in universities was "modelled on Islamic custom" as practiced in the medieval Madrasah system from the 9th century. Islamic influence was "certainly discernible in the foundation of the first deliberately-planned university" in Europe, the University of Naples Federico II founded by Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor in 1224.

One of the earliest Western defences of freedom of expression is Areopagitica (1644) by the English poet and political writer John Milton.

I personally own 6 guns. This being said, the situation unfolded as such. Hey let me look for these things... Or else... I mean it... We'll come over there... Seriously... I don't wanna do it but you're gonna make me... However much time progressed... We'll say a month. You're telling me that he couldn't orchestrate removal of that crap and stashing is somewhere else in that ridiculous amount of time? Let's be real. If for some reason my guns were illegal and the cops told me they were gonna come in an hour and look for them... They'd be gone... I never had them... ;) We gave entirely too much time to expect to find the "smoking gun".

I once had an old geezer teach me a lesson about FREE SPEECH.

He said, "Oh yeah! Sure...we're free to say and do whatever we want. If I wanted, I could go door to door and startup a new religion, bake sale, regime...whatever."

At this point I was like, "Really? So what's holding you back?"

"The consequences."

---You could have heard a pin drop.

Last edited:
Back