Corbin Seat?

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
I have Corbin seats on many of my bikes and also on my FZ6. Some people love them and some people hate them. I personally really like them.

They are very hard but after riding all day I find my butt does not hurt.

The only gripe I have on my FZ6 seat is that it seems to push you forward all the way to the tank. I wish Mike would cut the rear down a little so it did not push you forward. You can always ask him to custom make one for you.

I do see them for sale here quite often so you might try and wait for a cheaper one, but other than that it is all up to you.

Or find someone in your area and see if they will let you try theirs out for a day.

Marc

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The seat cost $439 not $600.

I have a Corbin and love it. Also had Corbin's on two of my older bikes.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a used tall Corbin seat and backrest for $425 through this site and in fact just sold a mint condition Corbin for $250 to another inmate. Keep your eyes open on here and eBay.

Oh and I LOVE IT !! Especially the tall/stretched version I now have.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you like your seat?

I started with the standard seat and a 250 mile day hurt!! I then sent it to Spencer and had the supracor update done. It was better, but still not great. I found damn near brand new Corbin on eBay for $300 shipped and bought it. It was better than the Spencer mod by a good margin. I was a happy camper until ...... I got the chance to buy a tall Corbin (I am 6ft 6 tall) and jumped at it. It's just perfect. I can sit in it (not ON it) for a whole day.

One thing you will hear people bitch about is how slick a Corbin is. A Corbin has a leather cover and as such unless you condition it, especially when new, it will be slick. Also I used to suffer from heat from the exhaust coming through the seat (I live in Texas) with both the original and the Spencer mod'd seats. The Corbin uses a much heavier/denser base and that issue appears to have been cured.

Here are some photos to let you see what the different seats look like. from left to right they are Spencer mod'd, Standard Corbin and Raised and lenghtened Corbin.

wicrules

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had my corbin for close to 6 months now. I love it. I find it actually keeps me from sliding into the tank like the OEM seat did. And, my butt doesn't hurt after a day of riding :)

David Thompson

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a corbin and the stock seat. I like the stock seat better for trips less than an hour because the corbin has less grip on my textile pants. My butt still gets sore with the corbin it just takes slightly longer

ordnance3466

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it worth $450...that is debatable. I would say that the profit markup is a bit high. It may cost $100-150 for parts and labor to produce one "custom" seat. IMO all the gunfighter seats produced for the FZ6 are made the same way with a few exceptions for extremly heavy/light people.

All that being said, the Corbin is a great upgrade on our bikes. I made the switch and am happy with the improvements to ride length.

Quantitativly:

4 hours of riding on stock seat = butt pain (8). 4 hours of riding on Corbin seat = butt pain (5).

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
I started with the standard seat and a 250 mile day hurt!! I then sent it to Spencer and had the supracor update done. It was better, but still not great. I found damn near brand new Corbin on eBay for $300 shipped and bought it. It was better than the Spencer mod by a good margin. I was a happy camper until ...... I got the chance to buy a tall Corbin (I am 6ft 6 tall) and jumped at it. It's just perfect. I can sit in it (not ON it) for a whole day.

One thing you will hear people bitch about is how slick a Corbin is. A Corbin has a leather cover and as such unless you condition it, especially when new, it will be slick. Also I used to suffer from heat from the exhaust coming through the seat (I live in Texas) with both the original and the Spencer mod'd seats. The Corbin uses a much heavier/denser base and that issue appears to have been cured.

Here are some photos to let you see what the different seats look like. from left to right they are Spencer mod'd, Standard Corbin and Raised and lenghtened Corbin.

Looks nice. As memory serves, I went with a mixed leather pattern Corbin seat. I believe the Corbin technician referred to as a embossed "stone pattern," and a embossed or "sewn flat carbon pattern" (non-gloss)on my seat. Pattern came out well. I have pics in the thread "A Corbin Seat Assessment" under the mods section.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/atta...ssment-fz6-2009-corbin-pics-5-07-2012-020.jpg

http://www.600riders.com/forum/atta...ssment-fz6-2009-corbin-pics-5-07-2012-019.jpg

Last edited:

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
To echo what others have said:

It's harder, but actually results in less (no?) pain on longer rides, so whether or not it's worth it depends on what level of discomfort you experience now.

It's slippery! But you'll get used to it.

Waiting/searching and buying used will save you $

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
My seat is not slippery. Of course it's new. But it's also leather. The trick here is care. On the other hand, leather when exposed to the elements in general tends to get slippery. I believe through care and conditioning it's how you prolong that event. Example; do you cover it? do you let it get it wet? do you condition it? I'm somewhat of a husky dude for my size. If anything I feel more locked into my seat. For me it's far more superior than stock. Everybody has different ergonomics or different posture and different weight. What someone might not like, might absolutely rock to someone else. I'm also short. What I find is the standard seat pan is wide. This in itself creates less distance to touch the ground. I have read a lot about how people tend to slide forward on the Corbin. I dont slide forward at all. I have also read alot of those people bought used seats. Am I biased to this particular seat "no". The simple fact of the matter is what's comfortable is comfortable. I would take Sargent if i thought it was comfortable. I would also take a top sellerie if I thought it was comfortable. Mail ordering a seat, is roll of the dice. I walked in the Corbin factory and had mine done. It's no where near as hard as the stock seat, in my opinion. Not saying there are no complaints about Top Sellerie. But from what I have seen many people seem to be quite happy with them. So get out there and take the plunge.

Last edited:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a corbin and the stock seat. I like the stock seat better for trips less than an hour because the corbin has less grip on my textile pants. My butt still gets sore with the corbin it just takes slightly longer

I have the same sliding problem. My fix? I bought a roll of drawer liner (tool box, specifically I believe)

Drawer%20Liner%201.jpg

I cut a square (2, one for me, one for my wife when she rides with me), and throw it on the seat before I go. When I get off the bike, I toss it in my helmet with my gloves. No more sliding around.

EZ Rider

On the Road
Reaction score
Visit site
Post a WTB ad on Craigslist. I picked up a perfect condition Corbin the day after my first posting for $250. Well worth the investment along with some bar risers. My touring rig is complete and comfortable now!

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I've read everyone's opinion on this Corbin seat and I'm excited to purchase one and will start looking.

My question is this. What is the review for the backrest on this seat? Does your passenger appreciate the ride better? Is it easier for them?

My wife loves riding with me and I just bought the FZ6 in hopes that she would go on trips with me, rather than just a ride around the town for an hour or so. I'm looking at this seat for exactly that reason.

I would appreciate any opinions anyone has on the backrest.

Thanks