Cooking / baking thread!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was gonna be spare ribs today, but the super was out (!). But they had beef ribs, which they usually don't, so I picked them up. They were trimmed funny, can't wait to dig in!

BeefRibs.jpg

:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How do you cook them? They look fantastic. Ribs are no normally something I consider. I have never learned to cook them.
Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was gonna be spare ribs today, but the super was out (!). But they had beef ribs, which they usually don't, so I picked them up. They were trimmed funny, can't wait to dig in!

BeefRibs.jpg

:thumbup:

I've never had beef ribs tender enough for my liking, but hose look so very good! :thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How do you cook them? They look fantastic. Ribs are no normally something I consider. I have never learned to cook them.
Nelly

I normally cook ribs "low and slow", 225 F for about five hours. This morning it was pouring rain at 0700, thought I'd wait until tomorrow, but by 10 the sun was shining so I threw them on at 300 for two hours; as Erci mentioned that had them just a bit tough, but still tasted great. Homemade rub; I normally don't use sauce but today I put on some locally-made stuff that was pretty good; maple smoke with just a bit of mesquite.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ma's day also happens to be Pa's day as its his birthday so this my friends is a great day for Apple Pie!!!

Everyone have a Great Mothers Day!
attachment.php

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Greek Roast Chicken:

GreekChicken.jpg

Brined the bird, loosened the skin and slid in sage, thyme, and thin garlic slices under it. Pecan-smoked at 275 with lemons. Sadly the cut-up potatoes in the drip pan below were charcoal, ah well learned something.

And, whoooaaa, a little less garlic next time! :eek:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bacon-wrapped, Coca Cola Chicken Breasts:

BaconColaChicken.jpg

Boneless, skinless breasts are marinated overnight in onion, garlic, and Coca Cola. Dried, dusted with a red chile rub, wrapped in bacon, and smoked at 300 until done.

They didn't suck! :rockon:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Green Chile Cheeseburgers today:

GreenChileCheeseburgers.jpg

I fell in love with these things in New Mexico, where they're a specialty; my favorite burger. I also added a 1/4 tsp of porcini powder and fish sauce to the beef, to boost the umami. Yum! :thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Chicken Souvlaki today. This recipe was in the new Cook's Illustrated, and not something I've ever made before (in fact, I've never even made any kind of shish kebab before, had to buy some skewers).
Chicken cubes are brined, then tossed in a mixture of olive oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, oregano, and minced mint and parsley. They're skrunched against each other on the skewer, with veggie skrunched against both ends, to keep the chicken from drying out (worked well):

_DSC0017-3.jpg

The cooked kebabs are then tossed in a little more of the marinade, spread on pita, and topped with the peppers/onions and a homemade zatziki sauce; the CI recipe used a LOT of mint, which I haven't before and it was delicious! Chopped Greek salad and olives finish off.

_DSC0018-1.jpg

Very messy to make, messy to eat, and my chicken cross-contamination skills need work. I also need to remember those #%$^@! skewers are HOT when they come off the grill. :eek: :disapprove: :spank: But these things were delicious, definitely a keeper. :thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
These last two weeks, I've been "Makin' bacon"! :cheer:

I bought a box of "Buckboard Bacon Cure" from Amazon, and followed the directions. First you rub a pork tenderloin heavily with the rub (this particular tenderloin was cut in half along the length, haven't seen that before):

RubApplied.jpg

After one week, you pour off the excess liquid, flip the meat over, and put back in the fridge for another week; it had firmed up a bit and gotten a bit darker in color:

OneWeek.jpg

After two weeks. The loins are then rinsed off, and soaked in clean water for two hours. I had two smaller halves of the loin that tapered to a point, so I tied them together to keep the cooking even, and added a spice rub to one of the pieces for variety:

TwoWeeks.jpg

Onto the Egg. Smoked with maple at 230 until I got an internal temp of 140:

Smoking.jpg

Success! It didn't look like canadian bacon when it came off, but the first slice showed the characteristic color, and it was delicious (albeit a bit salty for my taste):

Success.jpg

I've wanted to try regular bacon, but I don't really have the refrigerator space and am not sure if my slicer will handle something that big; this was a much smaller and easier project, and it worked well. I need to price loin, c. bacon, and the rub, and see how much money, if any, I saved.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't do as much proper cooking as I used to but this is due to kids who are fussy eaters, and they also have different tastes, which tends to restrict the variation of foods :(

Our baby just moved out on his own. We are learning to cook again for 2 people. Even though he is only a block away and comes home for dinner frequently. But he gets what he gets if he wants a free home cooked meal. Not catering to his pickyness anymore is extremely freeing.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Balsamic Pork Chops:

BalsamicPorkChop.jpg

I used to make these often on my old gasser, completely fell off the radar until now. Simply brine a pork chop for a couple hours, rinse and dry, then dip in balsamic vinegar in a wide pan (the cheep artificial stuff, not the $190/oz. elixer) and grill, flipping every two minutes. Each time you flip, lay the chop just-grilled-side down in the balsamic, then flip and return to the grill (wetting both sides of the chop each flip overpowers it). Continue until the center hits 140, you're done! The balsamic caramelizes and gives a really great color.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Green Chile Cheeseburgers today:

GreenChileCheeseburgers.jpg

I fell in love with these things in New Mexico, where they're a specialty; my favorite burger. I also added a 1/4 tsp of porcini powder and fish sauce to the beef, to boost the umami. Yum! :thumbup:

Oh yeah Hatch Chiles! They put em on theire burgers in NM. Great taste!

Federico

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm making a big breakfast today. Biscuits, gravy, bacon, sausage, omelettes, pancakes, banana bread, fresh pineapple, strawberries, melon, coffee, chocolate milk, cranberry juice, oj and champagne for mimosas.

My daughter is turning 3 and scheduling dictated we could really only have the party on a Sunday morning but I think it'll be great.