Continental vs. Avon

CMHrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have quotes from two different dealers and haven't played one against the other because I wasn't sure of the quality of the tires. I need new front and rear. The first dealer quoted me ~$400 for Avon Storm 2 claiming thats what they put on the FJR. The second dealer quoted me $158 for Continental Motion. Are the Storm 2 tires that much better is the dealer trying to pull a fast one. (The installation costs are about the same.) I use my bike primarily for commuting up and down the highway (~40 miles round trip) and go on one long (~2000 miles) trip a year.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have quotes from two different dealers and haven't played one against the other because I wasn't sure of the quality of the tires. I need new front and rear. The first dealer quoted me ~$400 for Avon Storm 2 claiming thats what they put on the FJR. The second dealer quoted me $158 for Continental Motion. Are the Storm 2 tires that much better is the dealer trying to pull a fast one. (The installation costs are about the same.) I use my bike primarily for commuting up and down the highway (~40 miles round trip) and go on one long (~2000 miles) trip a year.

Is the price inclusive of installation? That price for the Avon's seems steep.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using the storm II tyres, apart from wearing well and holding their pressures I can't say they are better or worse than any other brand I have used. Tyres are an important investment and people have their favourites. For everyday riding there probably isn't any noticeable difference between brands.

neil

CMHrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I would skip it.

I'm thinking I will. I'm thinking of going with the Conimotion. Even if they need replaced a little sooner it would take two sets to equate to the Avons. The research that I have found hasn't shown in difference is regards to safety.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to work for Avon - well Mickey Thompson, who is the Avon NA distributor, so I was able to get a set of Storm IIs for just shy of $200, which was about %10 over cost. They are great tires I've been really pleased with them, but you shouldn't be paying quite that much, there's definitely other dealers out there who should have them for closer to 300.

Side note - I believe that the Storm III is coming out soon, it'll have better wear and the same performance as the IIs. This could be why the dealer is trying to push off his Storm IIs.