Considering Speed Triple

moosejuice

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, Im considering selling my 2008 FZ6 and possibly upgrading to a new Triumph Speed Triple. The FZ6 is a great bike, and I have a blast on it, but it really lacks some zip when riding 2 up, especially up here at 5-10k feet in elevation. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes? Reliability? Maintenance?

Do it or don't do it?

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mike had the 09 Speed 3. Didn't like it. Sold it. Suspension settings weren't adjustable enough and the gearbox sucked.
The new Speed 3 has a new gearbox so that should be better. Don't know how adjustable the new suspension is though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems a bit pricey for what you get. I was quoted over 21k OTD for a brand new Speed Triple R. Likewise, a brand new Street Triple R was 12k OTD with a full Arrow exhaust. Almost 10,000 more for the bigger engine is quite a bit IMO. I know your looking for more power so my observations a little irrelevant but I thought I'd share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Dave.TX

I'd like to have one. That 1050cc would not be a problem with a pillion. Comfort would be the issue. The newer Triumphs are far better in quality than the old pre-2007 models, from what I understand.

The same 1050cc in a Tiger XC is good for 2 up, according to someone I know that has done it. And his wife isn't small, either.

I just looked up the local dealer here in Austin: Speed Triple for $12,000 and the Triple R for $16,000 USD. Street Triples are cheaper, have the 675cc motor. I'd get one of those over the FZ8.

Last edited by a moderator:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I should add the dealer I was at as well- Life Cycle Ducati/Triumph in Kalamazoo, MI
Pricing was OTD

I'd buy the Speed Triple R in a heartbeat if I had the money, but realistically I could see myself on the Street Triple R down the road. Especially if my dealer is still willing to give it to me for that price in a few years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My answer would be biased for sure. ;)

The Speed Triple R is dead sexy, but man, I don't know about the price.

moosejuice

Reaction score
Visit site
I am considering the non-ABS standard Speed Triple, not the "R" version.

Goop - how has reliability/maintenece been with your Triple? Any concerns? How is the wind?

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Those bike are sweet, but not a fan of the new headlight design. Looks like someone removed the double light from a faired bike and then just haphazardly mounted it up.

If I was you I would look for a used 2011 model with low mileage.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Goop - how has reliability/maintenece been with your Triple? Any concerns? How is the wind?

So far it's been rock-solid. I've had no mechanical or electrical issues with it. I bought a dealer maintenance plan and they take care of the scheduled maintenance for me, including valve checks and whatnot.

I've had it for about a year and have put about 6500 miles on it. The 2010 was the last year of the classic round chrome headlights. The 2011+ models have new engine designs in them, so I can't speak for the reliability on these. The new headlamps had a cracking problem that they fixed. The Speed Triple forum over at Triumph RAT forum has some info you may find useful: Speed Triple Forum - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Yes, you are going to feel the wind. My first few rides on the bike it took some getting used to, but now I don't even notice, even at 70+ MPH. So for me, it's not an issue.

Traf001

Reaction score
Visit site
Love mine and so far no issues. 2011 black and coming up on 1000 miles. I'm keeping my FZ-6 for long trips and just because it was my first bike and I still love it. No getting the S3 to 14k RPM but boy does it have torque.