Clutch is bothering me

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there,

I am having a bit of trouble with clutch or transmission. Many times when I want to change a gear either up or down shifter is resisting kind of half way. It is like there is something preventing it from going to new position. If I am shifting down I let go of clutch a bit, it clicks into gear and then do it again.
It is pronounced more if I am coming to stop and shifting down from 6th or 5th gear and end up stopped with bike still in second or third. I release a bit on clutch and then I can go further down.

Maybe my clutch cable is not tensioned enough? It is releasing at moment when clutch lever is almost let go completely. I didn't touch anything yet but this needs attention. Bike has 7000 km now, second season old.

Thanks in advance,
Zack

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Zack,

I'd try adjusting the release point a little further 'in' from the end of the lever's motion.... that, and I would suggest spraying some lubricant on the pivot(s), and the cable where it is exposed to the weather. That's all sort of normal upkeep stuff; so getting it all done together is a good practice to be in. You should be fine, with making a slight adjustment with the knurled set up at the lever end of the cable.

johnmarcmcc

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably already thought about this but, you may want to change your oil. I have seen comments about this elsewhere on this forum.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for input. Have to buy somewhere cable lubrication tool. Looked for it last time in Sarasota but they kind of didn't hear about it. I guess they want bike in their shop for that.

johnmarcmcc

Reaction score
Visit site
My post was about engine oil. I have a new bike with rough shifting, they said that with every oil change it should get better. Mine shifts a little rough up-shifting in 4th and 5th. Yours has more miles, may have been sitting a while, or got some bad juice??

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
My post was about engine oil. I have a new bike with rough shifting, they said that with every oil change it should get better. Mine shifts a little rough up-shifting in 4th and 5th. Yours has more miles, may have been sitting a while, or got some bad juice??

Good to know. I'm going in for my first oil change/break-in period job and I was becoming a little concerned about how rough the shifting is under 7000 RPM. When I hit it hard, it's smoothe as silk, but going from light to light in town gets a little jerky.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
You guys know everything!
I changed the oil and filter, also lubed the cable best I could (as described on this forum) and after test drive it was a big improvement, so I would say problem solved. Thank you for help!