Clunking shifting typical 5 to 6th gear?

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
Somewhat new to my 2006 FZ6 and appears indicated by threads that these things seem to have clunky shifting overall. ( I agree!!) It seems like you have to kinda whack it into gear a bit. I really notice it from 5th to 6th were if I shift it kinda easy it seems to have two clicks or steps before 6th.

I have missed a few shifts doing this and hear a bit of grinding going on sometimes. Is 5th to 6th a bit touchy? I just have to really think about it and make a very positive shift form 5 to 6, Just seems like I cant be to lazy about it. Seems better when in higher RPM range. It doesn't happen to often, just kinda wondering what others have felt. I am running sythetic if that matters. 4K on bike.

Thanks and great forum!:D

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually get some "clunkin'" in low gears (1st to 2nd), but after that, smooth sailing. Maybe one of the pros here can enlighten us on it. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. :D

congrats on the bike.

T

TheBlackSheep

I hear the clunking 1-2-3 and then it's smooth as butter. Was worried it was just me, I feel much better knowing I'm not the only one

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
I have clunky shifts from time to time going into 6th gear, too ...

Usually I get that clunky noise going in 1st or 2nd, then smooth as butter, and then again from 5th to 6th ...

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, guess all is normal. I got so spoiled with my GS 500, just touch it a little and bang next gear. No biggy just a change!

Thanks to all for the quick feedback, like I said great forum, great people:thumbup:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I only get clunks going into first, sometimes really loud braking transmission sounds lol.

Starting mine with the clutch lever pulled in and holding it there for a few seconds after startup really makes a difference with what you describe.