chains and sprockets

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
Did a search and didnt find anything that really answered my questions.

Stock chain size is 530? and how many links? 118?
how many lbs is it?

if I go with the oem chain size will there be enough slack in it to keep a 17t up front and the 46 out back? or would I need to add a few links?
as always, thanks homies lol

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IIRC, the stock chain will work using a 15 thru 17 tooth front sprocket. It's 118 links, 530 chain. I don't know the actual weight of it tho.

Cwwrig

Reaction score
Visit site
I just replaced mine. I would recommend Moto-heaven.com. They have really good customer service I would not order through the website give them a call. Also keep in mind if u go with an aftermarket sprocket you may have to deal with a new chain whine. Assuming you install it correctly the aftermarket sprocket can be heard because it does not have rubber sides on it to quiet down the "whine". This is something I just recently discovered after doing an internet search on the issue.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I already have a JT 17t on the front, the noise really isnt noticeable unless you are looking for it.
my front only has like 5k miles on it so I was thinkin about gettin a chain and sprocket kit with a 15t/46t combo that way I can use the 15t only when I wanna go drag racing or something then keep my 17t for the massive highway miles that I do lol

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if you painted a couple of coats of, say, Plasti-dip onto both sides of the front sprocket, whether it would alter the resonance?

Sure, you wouldn't want it too thick, and it'd have to clear the shaft mating surface and teeth, but if you taped those areas and sprayed a couple of light coats on, I'd be interested to see if it altered the sound generated.

(methinks it would)

Alas, as I can't get Plasti-dip in Oz, I can't try it to find out.....

Any volunteers?

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I would imagine that plasitdip would peel off under the heat?

sn: D.I.D chain is the OEM for Yamahas?