chain clunk

K Rig

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, a lot of the folks out there who have answered questions in the past had some good tips, so here's my next one:

I've had my 04 fz6 out two days in a row now, I didn't notice it yesterday, but today when i was riding i noticed as i was slowing down into a turn (under 30 mph, all the way to 0) I was hearing a clunk coming from the back end that seems to be directly proportional to the speed. Doesn't matter if its in any particular gear or in neutral. Got home and put it on the center stand with the rear wheel off the ground and spun the tire. As you rotate it around, sure enough, you can create the clunk, and you can see the chain tremor slightly when it happens. Before i start taking it apart i was hoping someone could fill me in on what might be doing this (drive sprocket, chain link/pin, rear sprocket, for the love of god don't tell me transmission)

Some details on the bike that may help:
2004 yamaha fz6
13,000 miles on it,
just changed the oil (accidentally put 20w-50 in it instead of 20w-40, but will be fixing that very shortly- stupid mistake on my part, but the level is fine, used Amsoil)
I have no idea if its the original chain and sprockets however.

Thanks a million!

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Hi all, a lot of the folks out there who have answered questions in the past had some good tips, so here's my next one:

I've had my 04 fz6 out two days in a row now, I didn't notice it yesterday, but today when i was riding i noticed as i was slowing down into a turn (under 30 mph, all the way to 0) I was hearing a clunk coming from the back end that seems to be directly proportional to the speed. Doesn't matter if its in any particular gear or in neutral. Got home and put it on the center stand with the rear wheel off the ground and spun the tire. As you rotate it around, sure enough, you can create the clunk, and you can see the chain tremor slightly when it happens. Before i start taking it apart i was hoping someone could fill me in on what might be doing this (drive sprocket, chain link/pin, rear sprocket, for the love of god don't tell me transmission)

Some details on the bike that may help:
2004 yamaha fz6
13,000 miles on it,
just changed the oil (accidentally put 20w-50 in it instead of 20w-40, but will be fixing that very shortly- stupid mistake on my part, but the level is fine, used Amsoil)
I have no idea if its the original chain and sprockets however.

Thanks a million!

could be a kink in the chain, but it is probably nothing to worry about.

As for the oil, don't worry about it! 20w50 has replaced 20w40 in the Yamaha owner's manual and Yamalube lineup.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As stated above, its probably a kinked/frozen link. If you rotate it slowly on the centerstand and watch the lower run of the chain, you'll probably see the offending link. Once found you can try lubing it up and loosening it back to normal, you'll probably end up replacing the chain as it'll cause undue wear on your sprockets...

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
yes. Just lube the chain -- if you don't want to, no need to clean it first. I remember rotating the rear wheel and you hear a ta ta ta ta sound as the chain rolls on the sprockets. Once I lubed, a lot of the sound disappeared.

I will lube more often -- I think I got the technique down anyway.

Dennis

K Rig

Reaction score
Visit site
so basically just lube the heck out of the chain and run it & see if it goes away? Cool, if not its in need of a new chain. K

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
so basically just lube the heck out of the chain and run it & see if it goes away? Cool, if not its in need of a new chain. K

I spent quite a bit of money on a DID X ring chain and got new sprockets at the same time. All in all it cost me a whopping 220 euro for fitting included. But my god its so worth it.

When you are going to replace your chain you have to replace the sprockets at the same time, unless you want your chain to wear down at a faster rate when put onto older sprockets.

So DID X ring chain is great, I have yet to adjust it (dealer did it once). I've had it on my bike for at least 5000 miles so far...amazing strength that I have yet to experience with an O ring chain. :thumbup:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Should be cleaning and lubing your chain fortnightly or every 500k's if you want it to really last. Checking the tension as per the owners manual helps too!
Also don't just liberally spray heaps of lube on (unless you wipe all excess off, which doesn't always work, as the chain heating up makes it much more fluid), you'll get fling the first time you go for a lengthier ride and end up with a rear tyre covered in a lubricant. Unless you want to practice ice skating on a motorcycle its not ideal :p

Also whatever you do, don't run the bike and use the throttle to turn the wheel when cleaning your chain. It may be 'faster' but its also a fast way of ending up in hospital.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I say get all the gunk out of the chain and clean it with kerosene or engine flush solution first, thoroughly dry the chain then lube it properly, then all should be well. If one link is the offender there are sure to be others not far behind so clean the whole chain thoroughly.