Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used a sawzall and two hammers, but I wish I had one. :BLAA:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't justify owning a tool I'll use at this frequency. Maybe if I owned three bikes and all my friends did as well...

This needs to go on Autozone's free tool rental list.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Stupid question - Can't you just get the right size chain? I have not replaced mine yet (looks good so far after 17,000 miles), but when it comes time I'd like to think I can get a chain that fits :confused:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Stupid question - Can't you just get the right size chain? I have not replaced mine yet (looks good so far after 17,000 miles), but when it comes time I'd like to think I can get a chain that fits :confused:

You still need the tool to rivet the master link on the new chain even if it the right number of links. It's also easier to remove the old chain if you have a tool to press out the pins on one of the links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site

The only issue with this theory is that the manufacturer would then have to custom make lengths of chain to fit each size bike, which there is certainly no standard between bikes let alone manufacturers. Otherwise, all bikes would have the same size gearing and length of swing arm, in theory.

If it's any consolation, I've put well over 20k miles on both of my bikes with the original chain and gearing with no real signs of wear. Keep the right hand smooth!:thumbup: