Chain and header cleaning

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly. A metal brush will NOT be good on your o-rings at all, and will actually get the cleaner down under the o-rings, where you want the lube to stay.

If you used SimpleGreen full strength, you just ruined your chain. Simple Green is very powerful and gets many places you don't want it (esp. since you used a wire brush). I had it ruin many sealed bearings (bicycle bottom brackets & wheel bearings, motorcycle bearings) before I realized it :eek: . I use it only on non-oring chains now. Sorry for the bad news, but you really shortened its life :(
:eek: .... im not HORRIBLY worried about it now, i plan on doing 520 in the near future, but damn... ill have to remember that, i figured simple green would be the least damaging out of hearing people use wd40 and keroseen, i figured simple green would be like nothing... and this is the brush i used, you really think it would damage it? i use it all the time to clean random build up when i respray the chain..

wire-brush.jpg

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
those do look nice. but wondering, any particular autosol? just looked on amazon and there are a few different ones. thanks.

I'm using the Autosol paste that comes in a tube. It's the Autosol paste-in-a-tube product in the very top picture, not the liquid stuff below it:-

solvol autosol chrome cleaner

I was using Autosol on my BSA's and Triumphs 40 years ago, fwiw. It was the best stuff for polishing aluminium and chrome then, and arguably the best stuff today. Be sure to apply it to the stainless steel headers using fine steel wool for the best (and quickest with less effort) results. If you can find stainless steel wool, even better. :thumbup: The non-stainless steel wool leaves an annoying residue in nooks and crannies that will rust very quickly and look unsightly.