Chain adjustment

ktm-yamaha13

Reaction score
Visit site
hey everyone..

Im a new owner of a fizzer and new to street bikes as well. iv spent my life on the dirt.. iv got almost 5000 miles on my bike since i bought it new in august of last year.

Now my question, i have checked the book at it tells me the chain slack should be between 1.7 and 2.2 inches. when i measure the slack per the books instructions the chain hits the swing arm before i get to the max. of 2.2 inches. im clearly doing something wrong here. iv searched the forum already and was unable to answer my question.

with that said where should i be measuring the chain? and how often do you guys find yourselves actually needing to adjust the chain.. i feel like iv dropped the ball and am probably way out of adjustment after 5k.

thanks in advance

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hey everyone..

Im a new owner of a fizzer and new to street bikes as well. iv spent my life on the dirt.. iv got almost 5000 miles on my bike since i bought it new in august of last year.

Now my question, i have checked the book at it tells me the chain slack should be between 1.7 and 2.2 inches. when i measure the slack per the books instructions the chain hits the swing arm before i get to the max. of 2.2 inches. im clearly doing something wrong here. iv searched the forum already and was unable to answer my question.

with that said where should i be measuring the chain? and how often do you guys find yourselves actually needing to adjust the chain.. i feel like iv dropped the ball and am probably way out of adjustment after 5k.

thanks in advance

Your supposed to measure the chain on the centerstand with the chain at its TIGHTEST POINT (it does stretch and will have a tight spot). Its in your owners manual.

The 1.7 to 2.2" is total up and down movement measured just to the rear, at the bottom of the plastic chain guide on the swing arm...

I put a tape measure on the floor at that spot, pointing upwards. I pull the chain upwards and line up a spot on the tape with a link. Then pull the chain down and measure the play. Make sure the top run is taught. That's your final measurement. Tighten/loosen accordingly.

IMHO, I find a clean chain will give you a more accurate reading.

My 07 has 10,500 miles on it and its at the 2.2" limit right now and has never has been adjusted. I suspect its because I'm very anal about my machines and keep the chain clean and lubed.

Last edited:

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
This is how i make adjustment to my chain.Make sure it is mounted on a centerstand.I would adjust my chain where i need much "effect" for my chain to touches the chain guard.

markgm

Reaction score
Visit site
This is how i make adjustment to my chain.Make sure it is mounted on a centerstand.I would adjust my chain where i need much "effect" for my chain to touches the chain guard.

That's exactly how I do it (and basically what's shown in the manual). I'm amazed how complicated people I personally know with FZ6s have made it. (My last chain got over 30k using that method, way more than the other two guys who spend time with a ruler).

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
i may be doing it wrong, but:

sidestand, neutral, scale agaist the swingarm, then pull the chain up/down and measure.

then roll the bike 1 foot back, repeat x3.

gives a good idea where the chain is tightest/loosest.

i adjust for 1 3/4" slack.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site

sidestand, neutral, scale agaist the swingarm, then pull the chain up/down and measure.

Do it on the center stand and you won't have to roll the bike anywhere.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
As per manual perform chain adjustment on center stand. I follow the manual and adjust to the lose end of the spec they lay out and also run a scottoiler.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site

Do it on the center stand and you won't have to roll the bike anywhere.

My manual (naked version) says to keep the bike vertical (so not on the sidestand) and check the chain slack at several spots (to determine tightest/loosest).

As per manual perform chain adjustment on center stand. I follow the manual and adjust to the lose end of the spec they lay out and also run a scottoiler.

Again;
The manual of the naked FZ6 says to keep the bike up (so on both wheels, not using any center stand or paddock) and get the chain slack into specs.

Grtz,

Degake

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My manual (naked version) says to keep the bike vertical (so not on the sidestand) and check the chain slack at several spots (to determine tightest/loosest).

Again;
The manual of the naked FZ6 says to keep the bike up (so on both wheels, not using any center stand or paddock) and get the chain slack into specs.

Grtz,

Degake

The OP (KTM) mentioned the exact spec's for a faired United States version (and he apparently lives in the US).

Per my factory owners manual, the bike SHOULD BE PUT ON THE CENTERSTAND and adjusted as I posted earlier.

I don't believe the naked FZ is available in the US, apparently the naked FZ uses a completly different owners manual and spec's...

If KTM can update if his bike is naked or the faired version would help...

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

If its a faired version, doing it this way has the swing arm slightly loaded with the weight of the bike on it.

The swing arm will be straighter out and thus you'll get a slightly tighter chain than adjusting on the centerstand when the swingarm is at full drop....

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
The OP (KTM) mentioned the exact spec's for a faired United States version (and he apparently lives in the US).

Per my factory owners manual, the bike SHOULD BE PUT ON THE CENTERSTAND and adjusted as I posted earlier.

I don't believe the naked FZ is available in the US, apparently the naked FZ uses a completly different owners manual and spec's...

If KTM can update if his bike is naked or the faired version would help...

I wonder what method would be the best to adjust the chain?
As you said, the manual for the faired version says to adjust while standing on the center stand.
But if I'm correct, the faired version also has 2 wheels?? :D:ban:

Maybe the user manual of the faired FZ6 only says to use the center stand because it's a bit easier?

Aah, the wonders of Japanese engineers :rolleyes:

Grtz,

Degake

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder what method would be the best to adjust the chain?
As you said, the manual for the faired version says to adjust while standing on the center stand.
But if I'm correct, the faired version also has 2 wheels?? :D:ban:

Maybe the user manual of the faired FZ6 only says to use the center stand because it's a bit easier?

Aah, the wonders of Japanese engineers :rolleyes:

Grtz,

Degake

Degake, can you post a picture of the page in the manual of a naked FZ indicating adjusting it ON THE GROUND?

I'd like to see it in black and white, from Yamaha...

Its not that I don't believe you, I know theirs differences but the chain adjustment, the frame and running gear should be the same...

I find it hard to believe their different at least in this regard.

*Out of curiosity, is/was the naked FZ6 available in the US? Anyone?

Last edited:

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Degake, can you post a picture of the page in the manual of a naked FZ indicating adjusting it ON THE GROUND?

I'd like to see it in black and white, from Yamaha...

Its not that I don't believe you, I know theirs differences but the chain adjustment, the frame and running gear should be the same...

I find it hard to believe their different at least in this regard.

*Out of curiosity, is/was the naked FZ6 available in the US? Anyone?

Here you go;
S1
chainslackfz6n.jpg

S2

So it seems that S1 naked versions should be held upright to measure/adjust chain slack, and the S2 naked versions should be on their sidestands?? :confused:

The naked FZ6 hasn't been sold in the US :)

Grtz,

Degake

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the naked bike have a center stand?

I also noticed they have the bike on the side stand with no weight on the rear wheel (it would be the same as using the center stand if there's NO LOAD on the suspension).

Pretty much the same procedure, just get the load off the suspension...

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Having ALL the weight off the suspension would be slightly more accurate but with the amount of leeway given, either would work.

I find it interesting that one owners manual has it on the side stand, the other upright (both without sides stands)

Last edited:

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
I find it interesting that one owners manual has it on the side stand, the other upright (both without sides stands)

Maybe, because of the different rear swing arm on S1 and S2 models, adjusting the chain will put some other part of the swingarm/axle under stress?

Grtz,

Degake