Centre stand

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at a stand for lifting the rear end.

How easy is it to fit and remove the stock centre stand? I've no intention of riding with it on, just fitting it for the odd maintenance task.

Ta

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Youngy, I took my centre stand off last season to improve the look, plus I was always a bit worried about it getting caught when cranking it right over in the twisties. Took a while to get it off thanks to the threadlock, and was a bit of a pain in the bum as I found I had to remove the side stand in order to get to the bolts for the centre stand. This meant my girlfriend holding the bike whilst I did the work (she was a little nervous about dropping it bless her!).

I've just put it back on as it makes the maintenance for the chain (I'm commuting a lot now) and checking tyres a whole lot easier. It's a 10 min job at best to put it on I suppose (only 4 nuts and bolts, but fidly underneath). I'd recommend you either keep it on, or keep it off and get a paddock stand.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Davey that's what I'll do then. I was trying to save a few quid but I 'll look out for an Abbastand now.

cheers

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe my average mechanical skills make it a 10 min job! But I think you'd soon find it very tiresome fitting it just for maintenance, then taking it off again. You can pick up paddock stands around the 40 quid mark I reckon, but not sure on quality. Ones with bobbins seem the best as others say the swingarm support type ones tend to slip off sometimes.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
.... and was a bit of a pain in the bum as I found I had to remove the side stand in order to get to the bolts for the centre stand...

so this is what i forgot to do when i attempted to put the main stand back!!! :spank: thanks!
i took off my main stand cause i went track, now that the tyre are not fit for track anymore, i decided to put back the main stand for easy cleaning and maintenance of the chain. i followed instructions and tips on this forum to put the spring first, then i put the screw on the right side, but somehow the left side screw couldnt get in!!!

Redback

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah you have to take of the side stand at least loosen it off to get the front bolt in on that side.
The rear clears no worries obviously two person job unless you have a rear stand
and if you really want to make life easy invest in a good set of allen keys cause that's what seems to hold the bike together:D and also a ratchet spanner these things are awesome in hard to reach spots

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
i have the tools necessary to take the screws out and put them back.. but from what i recall my mechanic did was a 1 man job? i didnt have to help support the bike.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone needs to tap the swingarm on 07+ model, install spools and post good pics here! I would love to do that, but I'm a bit worried about structural integrity.
There is a very safe way to do this on 06 and older FZ6 (different swingarm).

Wolfman said he had that done on his bike (newer swingarm) and had no issues :don'tknow:

Redback

Reaction score
Visit site
i have the tools necessary to take the screws out and put them back.. but from what i recall my mechanic did was a 1 man job? i didnt have to help support the bike.

not to sure on your year bike ? maybe there is room no room on my 09 :(