Cars cost more than we think....(Vent)

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
....... and my current 2005 Toyota Echo. I put well over 125,000 miles on each of the Corollas and I just recently turned 100k on the Echo. The ONLY problem I've had on any of those 5 cars? The alternator went bad on my first Corolla (1988 model). That's it. Not one single other issue.

I'll happily drive my Echo until the wheels fall off and continue to get my 40 MPG and smile the entire time. ..........

My Echo now has 200,000 miles on it. :thumbup: I have to run mid grade to get 41 MPG, but that saves me about $2 per fill up compared to the 37 MPG I get with the lowest grade.

Consumables: I've put in 2 batteries in 10 years, a few air filters, on the 4th set of tires, replaced the brakes once, and have recently swapped out the struts. I've upgraded the headlights.

The usual oil and filter change is at about 10K miles.

Things that have broken: One tail light bulb. One headlight. The trim at the back of the driver and passenger doors has a small rib with cover between sections. That comes apart. The plastic levers to let the seats fold forward have both separated from their metal counterparts. I have had the windshield replaced 4 times due to rock strikes.

I bought it new, and paid it off 6 years ago. Relative to any other car I have ever owned, this one is putting money back in my pocket.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I absolutely agreed with you. Right up until you said don't get a Corolla or Civic! All I've ever owned are Toyotas, all bought used with decently low miles (25k-35k). 4 Corollas and my current 2005 Toyota Echo. I put well over 125,000 miles on each of the Corollas and I just recently turned 100k on the Echo. The ONLY problem I've had on any of those 5 cars? The alternator went bad on my first Corolla (1988 model). That's it. Not one single other issue.

I'll happily drive my Echo until the wheels fall off and continue to get my 40 MPG and smile the entire time. For me, the smaller more fuel-efficient cars are the way to go.

Hell, my entire family drives Toyotas. My parents own 3 (Tacoma, Camry, and Prius) and none of us could be happier. Yeah, they aren't the most stylish or cutting edge of vehicles, but they're freaking bulletproof and last forever. And yes, that includes the small cars. LOL.

I personaly dont like the smaller toyotas or hondas because "they are small".. :BLAA: I should have left that part out. LOL they are still good cars. I like the bigger vehicles with all of the "fancy" creature comforts and heated seats and rear a/c and sech !! LOL :thumbup: :thumbup: and both my acura and my tundra are paid off now the Tl has 156,000 on it and I have done only the required maintenance to it. timing belt water pump belt and tensioner replacement at 105,000 miles and none of it realy needed changing it was just preventive.the only part that has ever "failed on the car is the hvac blower motor resistor and the plug to the blower motor.my tundra has 95,000 on it and I had a bank 2 sensor 2 heated 02 sensor fail on it at 86,000 ,and both vehicles interiors and body,s other than a couple of tiny parking lot dents and scratches are in just as good as condition as the day I brought them home. no cracks peels tears or stains.they are both front line ready as they sit. I cant say that for any other brand of vehiclr ive ever owned. and the best part about them to me is both were made right here in America "well assembled anyway" ...

Last edited:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm the opposite of most. The smaller the better! I also would trade all the features in the world for handling and braking. lol As far as I'm concerned, there are no new small cars. They're getting bigger and bigger. Look at the new Civics, they're huge! Take a 90's Accord, and put it next to a new Civic. :eek: The Civic is now a midsize as far as I'm concerned. Heck, they're bigger than my Protege now. And the BMW's! Frickin' monsters! Oh, and the weight!!! They're all piggies now! Looks like the average weight went from around 2700-3500lbs, to 3700-4500lbs! Another thing, why can't companies take their small cars, and toss in the performance engines that they already have in their other models! Take the Mazda 2. Nice and light at around 2450lbs(lightest car I've seen in ages). But then they stick in some little gutless engine in. How about tossing in the 2.3L turbo Mazdaspeed 3 engine in it? Oh that's right, then it would kill the 3, and get great mileage while doing it. Can't have that! All manufactures do that too.

Really what I want is, a race car with a plate. My Protege is pretty much there with suspension. Engine, well, not even close, but then again I don't care about that. LOL I'd love to have a raced out original Mini. Talk about fun! Gut the interior, appropriate seats, cage, no radio or any other crap, no carpeting(easy to clean too), fully adjustable suspension, etc.. Basically give me a WRC version! lol

Last edited: