careful: wind?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A motorcyclist was killed and the woman riding with him is recovering in hospital after their bike veered off the road Sunday afternoon, Tofield RCMP said.

The accident occurred on Highway 855, approximately 16 kilometres south of Holden just before 4:30 p.m.

The 52-year-old passenger was thrown off the motorcycle when it slid into the east ditch, and the 48-year-old driver fell off the bike soon after.

He was pronounced dead at the scene, RCMP said.

The woman suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries, and was flown by STARS air ambulance to a hospital in Edmonton.

No other vehicles were involved, police said, and alcohol and speed were not factors in the crash. The roads were in good condition at the time, but officers are investigating whether strong wind gusts played a role in the collision, said Sgt. J.W. Warren.

Names are not being released pending notification of next of kin. Holden is approximately 100 kilometres southeast of Edmonton.

RIP dude. I'm sure it was not your fault.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
RIP dude. I'm sure it was not your fault.

IMO "fault" is newer the issue in these RIP cases!

As riders we have to use these to learn, and educate ourself, - and this can only be done by looking at the chain of events that lead to the accident, - blaming or placing responsibility does nothing to help us in this process.

So the lesson learned from this one, - when riding 2 up, wind gusts affect you more than normally.

And yes, - RIP rider.

Crotalus

Reaction score
Visit site
I would have thought riding two up makes the bike heavier and thus more wind resistant.. am I wrong?? I haven't rode two up since I was a kid riding with my dad.
Wind seems a little suspicious to me...

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I would have thought riding two up makes the bike heavier and thus more wind resistant.. am I wrong?? I haven't rode two up since I was a kid riding with my dad.
Wind seems a little suspicious to me...

In theory I would agree with you, - however I have found that the back-seat passenger often becomes more like a main sail, than just an extra weight ...
Perhaps be course I mainly ride with "Non-riders" on the back ....

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
In theory I would agree with you, - however I have found that the back-seat passenger often becomes more like a main sail, than just an extra weight ...

I was out riding with friends on Sunday, it was windy and the gusts were pretty bad. He was riding 2 up and the wind was affecting him a lot more than it was me. Eventually my friends wife got tired and he dropped her off at home and the wind didn't seem to affect him as much thereafter. So, though I always thought that having a passenger would help due to the added weight on the bike, I have now changed my mind and agree that the passenger may act as a sail.

RZ350 Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll never forget the ride I made to the Light House on L.I. Ny. The wind was so fierce, to go straight we had to lean into it on about a 30degree angle, almost like going around a really sharp corner. If you're a fan of history, one of my heros, Bernd Rosemeyer, was killed on the Autobahn in Germany trying to set a world record driving an Auto Union while going over 275mph by a gust of wind exiting an overpass. This poor guy is in good company, RIP.

RZ350 Rider

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ive heard of gusts in one direction hard then back in the opposite instantly in places like nevada

mental.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm careful about riding along the mountain line in the early morning or evening while crossing a canyon opening, the wind gusts can be brutal and I too have had to lean quite a bit while going straight. A passenger will give you more weight, but also more side area for the wind to catch; the extra weight also gives you extra momentum, which will require more effort to change directions. This could almost be a physics thesis...