Can I really lower my Fazer??? Please Help!!

deniwow

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, Ive read lots of threads about lowering kits for Fazers. But not sure if they actually do work??
Can someone please tell me, there is a kit out there somewhere that will lower my bike :confused:
And where I can get one from :confused:
Yours hopefully..
Denise

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Found this when i was searching to lower it myself. http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/37405-how-lower-my-fz6.html

Im going to give it a few months before i lower it. Everyone says you get use to it and its easy to ride. Im thinking i will just shave the seat so the suspension is intact :)

Im 5'6" 5'7" and i can flat foot one foot and tip toe the other and supposedly that is enough to ride with no issues. I would feel more comfortable flat footing both feet but im still debating.

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
I felt the same way when first got my old Katana (im 5'6" and that thing was kinda massive) but got used to it after a while and didnt even notice anything when I got the FZ6. I have only dropped a bike once because of my height and thats because it was a back road that was slanted at a stop and there wasnt much i could do when 500+ pounds decided to lean on my left leg :BLAA:

I would ride it around for a while and get used to it, saves you money and time. Plus, if you ride 2up or with luggage you are (i believe) going to lower the suspension due to weight.

Found this when i was searching to lower it myself. http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/37405-how-lower-my-fz6.html

Im going to give it a few months before i lower it. Everyone says you get use to it and its easy to ride. Im thinking i will just shave the seat so the suspension is intact :)

Im 5'6" 5'7" and i can flat foot one foot and tip toe the other and supposedly that is enough to ride with no issues. I would feel more comfortable flat footing both feet but im still debating.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
HyperPro does make lowering springs if you want that. They will lower the bike without changing the geometry. It does flick into corners a bit eaiser, but that's the only difference I've noticed with handling.

I believe they lower the bike 60mm? I don't remember for sure. All I know is that at 5'8" I can flat foot from the back of the saddle in my boots, and my 5'0" wife can almost get both toes down from the front.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I felt the same way when first got my old Katana (im 5'6" and that thing was kinda massive) but got used to it after a while and didnt even notice anything when I got the FZ6. I have only dropped a bike once because of my height and thats because it was a back road that was slanted at a stop and there wasnt much i could do when 500+ pounds decided to lean on my left leg :BLAA:

I would ride it around for a while and get used to it, saves you money and time. Plus, if you ride 2up or with luggage you are (i believe) going to lower the suspension due to weight.

I would second that. Try riding with it for a while and see how comfortable you are. I'm only 5'4" and I have no problems one footing the bike. It feels funny at first but after a while it becomes second nature. Kind of like using one hand on the steering wheel when you drive.

The only time I've run in to an issue is putting the wrong foot down on a steep incline and I have had trouble backing it in occasionally. In two years on my FZ6 it's only been a problem maybe 5-6 times.

SueMc

Reaction score
Visit site
I am 5'4" with a 29" inseam. When I first got my FZ6, I had an inch shaved off the seat so that I could tiptoe with both feet instead of just one. Last year I put the Hyperpro Lowering kit on my bike and I LOVE it! I can almost flat-foot the bike now.

Yes, experience on the bike gives you a certain level of comfort, and when you're actually moving, it doesn't matter how short or tall the bike is. But unless you're only riding it on a track you're going to run into low spots, gravel, pot holes, steep downhill slopes and other assorted 'fun' situations when you have to stop. I've always tried to be careful to look where I'm putting my feet when stopping the bike, but with traffic signals and other vehicles you don't always have much of a choice.

I've dropped two different bikes (not my FZ6 fortunately), an EX500 and a 650 GS, because of where I've had to stop. The angle of the road or a low spot on a downhill slope of a parking lot were such that by the time my foot reached the ground, I was past the tipping point of the bike and over I went!

The HyperPro lowering springs are fantastic, and I highly recommend them. I really didn't notice any significant difference in the handling of the bike after I lowered it. Yes, they really do work!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
HyperPro does make lowering springs if you want that. They will lower the bike without changing the geometry. It does flick into corners a bit eaiser, but that's the only difference I've noticed with handling.

I believe they lower the bike 60mm? I don't remember for sure. All I know is that at 5'8" I can flat foot from the back of the saddle in my boots, and my 5'0" wife can almost get both toes down from the front.
I've also shaved my seat and got the Hyperpro lowering springs. Did it all myself except the rear spring as you need special tools. It made an amazing difference. Checkout my site link below for details on how I did each. I feel much more stable on the bike and it feels better to ride as the centre of gravity is lower.

They only lower it 29mm at the front & back, but it makes a surprising difference.

I'm 5 foot 8 and have dropped the bike a couple of times when having to stop suddenly from cagers doing annoying things and slow turning. Also, having lots of luggage made it much more unstable when moving around at slow speeds.

DownrangeFuture: If you loosen the bolts holding the forks at the front and adjust them so there is a mm or so less sticking out the top then the bike will turn into corners slower. Or if you adjust them so there is more sticking out of the top then it will turn in faster. I had to experiment with mine until I was happy. I have it so it turns in a bit faster than with the stock springs at the moment.

deniwow

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanx for all your comments guys!!!

I did ride my bike around on the lowest setting of the stock spring. Still can't move the bike backwards with my feet, and this is heavier than the bike I was riding before, which was an RD250LC.
After neally dropping my bike, I started to loose my confedence, and now relise I have to get the bike lowered, either by shaving the seat down or finding a lowering kit that would do the job. or even both!
Ive read lots on the Hyperpro Lowering kit, and looks like it could do the job.
Also found another place in Australia, which do the lowering kits, so also looking into that one at the mo. They are called Bitubo shock absorber.
Has anybody heard of these or even used them?? Still trying to get prices from them, and more details, before I buy anything.
Cheers!!!

Last edited:

deniwow

Reaction score
Visit site
SANGER A2 your FZ6 web site is AWESOME!!!!!!! :rockon:
You have done soooo many mods!!! :thumbup:
Luv the one about shaving the seat down!! Very brave man! :cheer:
I dont even think I could do such a great job as you have! :confused:
It would be $370 au for another seat, if I messed up. :eek:

Not sure if I will try it myself or just take it some where to be done.

Well done!!! Thanx for sharing!!! :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Last edited:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanx for all your comments guys!!!

I did ride my bike around on the lowest setting of the stock spring.

No, no, no. The stock spring is only adjustable for pre-load, not ride height. That must be set according to your weight. Otherwise it affects your handling, and not in a good way. Usually when you go down too far, it can affect it in a "oh ****, where'd that lowside come from?" way.

Trust me. :(

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
No, no, no. The stock spring is only adjustable for pre-load, not ride height. That must be set according to your weight. Otherwise it affects your handling, and not in a good way. Usually when you go down too far, it can affect it in a "oh ****, where'd that lowside come from?" way.

Trust me. :(
Yup. Unless you are REALLY light, the lowest setting will be faaar too bouncy. You need to experiment when riding to find the best amount of stiffness for you. Maybe take it up one notch at a time until you find it too stiff. It's just there to compensate for your weight, not change the ride height. Some expensive shocks (Ohlins etc) allow you to adjust the ride height without affecting the preload (what you are adjusting on the FZ6), but not many stock ones do! :)

deniwow

Reaction score
Visit site
Dont worry, I only weigh 52kgs, so the bike doesn't bounce around at all..still solid, and didnt make any difference to the way the bike handles.
Im just a light weight!! :cheer::cheer:

Last edited:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
You're probably okay then. You might try up one click to see if it feels better for you, ride wise. But you're around the right weight for the lowest setting. I think we had decided that 55 and below was for that setting.

Just be mindful that your suspension travel is really short now. If bumps start hitting really hard, or the back end wants to buck over them, then try up one click. You're probably bottoming out. And doing that while turned, even at 5mph is bad. I caught the edge of a pothole I couldn't see when my suspension was all the way down, my back wheel jumped off the rebound, and I went for a swim in a mud puddle. Right as I got to work. I think that was in Feburary, so it was a bit cold too.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Dont worry, I only weigh 52kgs, so the bike doesn't bounce around at all..still solid, and didnt make any difference to the way the bike handles.
Im just a light weight!! :cheer::cheer:
What gear do you wear? Have you weighed yourself wearing that? Just switching from my light-weight winter waterproof textiles to my heavy summer leathers means I need to add an extra click. Your gear + helmet probably adds around 10kg! I weighed myself with and without gear and it added on a stone. And that was when I was smaller and lighter and now unfortunately as my beer gut has grown, my gear has had to keep up! :(

deniwow

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear my Dririder jacket, jeans, helmet, trainers.
Trust me, this doesn't make a difference at all. :cheer:

I just need to eat a few more pies!!!!

Last edited:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Im really thinking of getting these awesome springs since people are so happy with them lol. I would love to be able to flat foot easier.

Question though, im about 200lbs what should my preload spring be set at?

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive read lots on the Hyperpro Lowering kit, and looks like it could do the job.
Also found another place in Australia, which do the lowering kits, so also looking into that one at the mo. They are called Bitubo shock absorber.
Has anybody heard of these or even used them?? Still trying to get prices from them, and more details, before I buy anything.
Cheers!!!

I had a Yamaha dealer here in Norway lower the bike for me. They lowered it approx 25 millimeters front and rear. By lowering both front and rear the bike's "stance" doesn't change noticeable, and the bike handles just fine. They also did something to the kickstand so I didn't have to swap it for another or modify it physically for it to work as expected.

After changing the front suspension this spring my mechanic (not a Yamaha man) raised the front 10 millimeters, but I didn't really find the change too dramatic. The bike turns into the corners a little slower, but I'm not sure I will lower it back again. The extra height in the front doesn't bother me, and the lights doesn't seem to bother oncoming traffic.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a Yamaha dealer here in Norway lower the bike for me. They lowered it approx 25 millimeters front and rear. By lowering both front and rear the bike's "stance" doesn't change noticeable, and the bike handles just fine. They also did something to the kickstand so I didn't have to swap it for another or modify it physically for it to work as expected.

After changing the front suspension this spring my mechanic (not a Yamaha man) raised the front 10 millimeters, but I didn't really find the change too dramatic. The bike turns into the corners a little slower, but I'm not sure I will lower it back again. The extra height in the front doesn't bother me, and the lights doesn't seem to bother oncoming traffic.
I would be really interested to know how they changed the sidestand as I need to get mine cut and welded. Can you post pictures at least?

Thanks.