Can Am Spyder

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone tried a Spyder?
I took these pics at Boxhill which is a big bike meet close to where I live.
To say they are rare over here is an understatement.When the guy pulled up,you would have thought he'd landed a spaceship :D
Not really sure what market its aimed at :confused:

Boxhill160309005.jpg

Boxhill160309006.jpg

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't tried one, but my local dealer sells them. I think they are weird. If I want the bike experience I'll ride the FZ, if I want to go fast one more than two wheels I'll hop in the RX7, all I see from the Spyder is the downsides of both. You can't lean like a bike, but you won't stay dry like you would in a car.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are a few of them around in Perth.

And, yup, I think I'll pass.

Wonderful if you have a disability, IMO, and still want to ride.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen a couple on the road around where I live. I've also seen snowmobile conversion kits that would allow you to do the same thing with your snowmobile, unless of course you like using it in the snow. :BLAA:

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems interesting enough, yah i'll bite and go for a spin but i won't buy one.
True, you can't lean like a bike. It's a half breed, sort of a very fast quad without the fourth wheel.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday, there was a thread about arrogant Harley riders. Not to be an arrogant Yamaha rider, but I'd be embarrassed for the neighbors to see me on one of these unless I had a disability or something like that. Not just me, the joke around my office (I'm blessed to be around several riders - yep, Harley guys too) is the need for a promotion, "buy a Spyder and get a free helmet and mouth guard).

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah,it seems a bit pointless and at £15,000,it's quite an expensive toy.
I was more impressed by the guy that rode up on a full on stunt bike.
Judging by the size of the rear sprocket,his top speed would have been a bit restricted :D

Boxhill160309002.jpg

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
I test drove a Spyder for giggles while my bike was in the shop... It drives like 4-wheeler indeed. Decent power. The dealer mentioned it had a safety system that would keep it from rolling over, but a couple turns I took make me feel like I'd go flying off long before a roll over.

Not my cup o' tea.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
If you folks are allowed to ride quads on the street, I see absolutely no benefit in the Spyder...... Quads are simple enough, you can power slide the thing all day long. :D

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Like most here, looks good if you have a disability that prevents you from riding...

Now a T-Rex on the other hand.... That looks like fun. :)

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
They (BRP) are having a demo day at my local dealer this Sat. Myself and a buddy have scheduled a test ride.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it is a cooler option than a 3-wheeled harley or goldwing.

I agree it's kinds stuck between markets though....not quite bike, not quite sportscar. I wonder what the aftermarket will dream up for these things... (roof? sports package? leaning capability?) *EDIT* actaully doesn't eh chassis already lean (even though the wheels are flat)

Maybe a race sanctioning body?..Spyder cup?

Some nice engineering regardless esp. the chassis and traction/stabiltiy control system.

By using 3 wheels it is classified as a motorcycle and not a car = MUCH LESS red tape to get it street-legal (emissions, safety, etc.)

Last edited:

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I took one for a test ride a few months back, very odd. I can see the appeal, especially if one is disabled or if you plan to ride in bad weather or poor roads. It does not lean and you do not countersteer, so it it a very strange feeling for a motorcyclist. The power steering also is super sensitive so at first it feels very darty and twitchy (at least to me). I also kept putting my feet down when I came to a stop, then felt like an idiot.:rolleyes:

I've also heard that they are not very reliable yet.

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
I test rode one and it was fun. It is not a two wheeler but definately a better option than one of those Goldwing/Geezer Glide trike conversions. I can see it for those not able to ride a two wheeler, or for a lot of fowl weather riding.
For those interested Quads are not street legal. 1,2, or 3 tires makes it a motorcycle, legally speaking. 4 or more tires mean it is a car/truck. That would mean seatbelts and airbags and bumpers and headrests etc.

AutoXer

Reaction score
Visit site
Not a magazine I've seen that has tested one could get even 30 miles per gallon out of it, which is totally ridiculous. You'd almost have to try to design a tiny vehicle like this to get that poor mileage. Heck, my Miata manages that day in and day out, is a blast in the curvy bits, and I can put the top up when it rains. No thanks, I'll take a sports car and a proper bike long before I'd consider a Can Am.

jZ

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
i did a pretty decent review on these a while back after a 1 hour test ride

basically under powered, feels wierd, hard /fast cornering be out in fear of flung off the bike etc
comfy for long trips, cant drop it :)

over priced!

so no

for the $4 they are askign buy a small 2 door psorts car that will be faster and have more room!