camshaft timing question

thewebhead

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
I'm a bit confused here.

After some work on the engine I'm about to install the camshafts again. The cil 1 is on TDC, the camshaft sprocket is aligned...

As I understand, on the compression stroke the lobes of the camshaft should be pointed outward.
The camshaft sprockets have markings on them for exhaust and intake respectively. They should be lined up with the headcase.

The problem is, if I line the camshaft sprockets like the manual says: marking and bolt as on the diagram, the first lobes do NOT point outward but inward.

I took a picture when disassembling and it appears the lobes were pointing outward on TDC. However, my picture does not show the markings so I can't compare. I can however confirm that it's not me by mixing up both camshafts. They are right where they should be.

What's wrong here? It's like the camshaft sprockets were loosened and rotated 180°...
Afaik when I position the camshaft with the lobes pointing outward, shouldn't this correspond to the aligned markings?

Thanks,

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a bit confused here.

After some work on the engine I'm about to install the camshafts again. The cil 1 is on TDC, the camshaft sprocket is aligned...

As I understand, on the compression stroke the lobes of the camshaft should be pointed outward.
The camshaft sprockets have markings on them for exhaust and intake respectively. They should be lined up with the headcase.

The problem is, if I line the camshaft sprockets like the manual says: marking and bolt as on the diagram, the first lobes do NOT point outward but inward.

I took a picture when disassembling and it appears the lobes were pointing outward on TDC. However, my picture does not show the markings so I can't compare. I can however confirm that it's not me by mixing up both camshafts. They are right where they should be.

What's wrong here? It's like the camshaft sprockets were loosened and rotated 180°...
Afaik when I position the camshaft with the lobes pointing outward, shouldn't this correspond to the aligned markings?

Thanks,

Sounds like you are having fun now....

The left side or stator side is #1 and yes, the cam lobes will be pointed outward in a "V" shape while the sprocket marks are ALSO pointed outwards opposing one another. The cranks "T" mark pointed rearwards to the back of the bike at the case split.

On my 08 the cams casting each had an I and an E cast into them. The exhaust had a yellow permenente paint mark on the raised "E". The intake a paint mark on the "I". This also corresponded with paint marks on the gears over the E and I.

Hopeflully this picture clarifies your predicament.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170329_105410.jpg
    20170329_105410.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 104

thewebhead

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
This is my problem.
Notice the painted E on the camshaft sprocket. The mark is aligned with the edge and you'd expect the first lobe to be pointed outward but it isn't...

76cc65d8b805d3bb596a4e5ef9c73c02.jpg

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
More info please.....
When did it run last?
Did anyone potentially remove the gears?
Look at the cam itself.
Look for this paint blotch on the E for exhaust.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20141123_184510_181.jpg
    IMG_20141123_184510_181.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 89

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is my problem.
Notice the painted E on the camshaft sprocket. The mark is aligned with the edge and you'd expect the first lobe to be pointed outward but it isn't...

76cc65d8b805d3bb596a4e5ef9c73c02.jpg

Also, the hole shown with the pencil is #4! #1 is on the stator side!!!! Left side....

One and four are however BOTH up at the same time as your pencil indicats!

thewebhead

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
It is most definitely the exhaust cam.
AFAIK the engine has never been opened. It has about 20k km.
ec09cd54aa802f48b5d479a9693a7200.jpg

The paint dot is next to the E.

Is it possible to turn the sprockets in respect to the camshaft itself?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is most definitely the exhaust cam.

Is it possible to turn the sprockets in respect to the camshaft itself?

IDK specifically. (Never tried)

Is there an alignment pin?

Also, if the engine ran fine before you pulled the cams and did NOT touch the sprocket bolts, it's obviously not your issue.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It appears there is nothing wrong mechanically as that does **appear to be** the exhaust cam at the front with its cyl #4 lobe inward and down on cylinder #4.... I found a picture with mine pointed that direction. I'm guessing it's coming down to which cylinder is #1?? And thats ok, sh$t happens. Better safe than sorry!! :thumbup:

Did you read the How To sticky about valve adjustments? There is a lot of good information in there.

This is how they should be pointed:
Crank is TDC, firing #1, despite V pattern, both intake and exhaust are closed.
attachment.php

Intake as seen from left side... I'm thinking you are ok.
Assemble and turn engine by hand slowly completing a full 720° of rotation using a short handle and confirm there is no interference (crank does not bind). If it does, read the sticky in the How Too section.

Attachments

• FZ6 in Time.jpg
    FZ6 in Time.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 83

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott,
The cam bolts are splayed in an offset manor. You can only fit the gear on in one direction. The gears are interchangeable intake to exhaust....

This is an orientation issue. #4 is not #1.... Cylinder #1 is on the STATOR SIDE of the engine!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott,
The cam bolts are splayed in an offset manor. You can only fit the gear on in one direction. The gears are interchangeable intake to exhaust....

This is an orientation issue. #4 is not #1.... Cylinder #1 is on the STATOR SIDE of the engine!

I'm aware where #1 cylinder is, I was not aware of the splayed offset bolts.

I took the word from the OP, that the cams were re-installed (with pic's) as the Op reported (obviously incorrect)..

That was my mistake..

Even thou 1 and 4 pistons are both at TDC ALWAYS, cylinder #1 should be in the compression stroke (TDC) with
the cam marks aligned..

He was trying to assemble with cylinder #4 which was on the exhaust stroke(in his pic's)

Great catch thou on your part!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know you know.... but an easy mistake. He's probably out riding it now! :thumbup:

thewebhead

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Oh dear.

I'm not riding it atm though.

I guess my confusion was due to the drawing in the book. The sprockets are drawn with the markings aligned.
There is a lobe drawn with a dashed line, indicating its behind the sprocket, facing outward.
The logical thing here would be to assume that this would be the the FIRST lobe behind the sprocket and thus #4 cylinder. Apparently it's the last lobe behind the sprocket and first cylinder.

Thanks for all the replies!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk