Cam chain/tensioner issues.. please chime in

Cam chain/tensioner issues

• Total voters

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes i think that all are silver. I never seen a aftermarket one except for a manual tensioner.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did not set TDC when changing mine. I just babied the old one out and put the new one in. I was being extremely careful not to touch anything else along the way.

I'm assuming that if you jumped a tooth it would be pretty obvious afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh it would be obvious but I don't think jumping a tooth is THAT easy unless you turn the engine over really quick. I could be wrong but I doubt Yamaha would put on a cam chain THAT long. BUT you never know!;)

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
I also don't think so. When I did the r6 cam swap I had to remove chain guides just to get the chain off.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is currently going through a new Cam Chain swap, guides, and sprockets. The dealership is doing the work for me. Over $300 worth of parts right from the get go.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just set to tdc and remove old tensioner and install new one

I've never read the instructions for CCT install but I think this is not needed (IMO).

Simple rule: DO NOT hit Start Button OR Turn ENGINE over manually until the new one is installed!!! If installing a manual tensioner, same rule but you MUST Adjust it and apply some tension before starting the engine.
Follow the manufactures directions.

Remember - its not a piano string, Too Tight is NOT good.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto on the advice. Just take the old one off and bolt the new one in place then release the tension by removing the tab. DON'T crank or turn the engine over in the process. Use a new gasket for best results. Pretty simple fix.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
It was nice to read through this thread. No one had any issue on the 6R forum so far but I wanted to double check over here since the bike are built about the same. The chain and sprocket are different... but not sure about everything else. Maybe it's something that you don't have to worry about too much with a manual tensioner but with the regular one on the 6R, I had to hold the tension myself on the guide until the oil psi build up and push the piston out. It did jump on me once... I had to move it back 1 tooth. I had 20K miles when I did my cams swap and everything look like it should... 10K miles since my cams swap and can't notice any abnormal noise or anything like that.

Thanks!

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
About five bikes ago, I had a 2003 DRZ400. The forum for that bike was always buzzing with people suggesting a MCCT but I cannot remember ever reading a single first-hand account of an ACCT failure. Just my $.02.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine sounds like a bit of an agricultural mulching/thrashing machine but only after a hot startup. It seems pretty clear who to blame...... Mr CCT!

Next timing mod I'll inspect it/replace it. <20,000 miles.

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
On a service in December, I was told there is a slight rattle when the bike is warm. Mechanic said he could only hear it with the radio turned off and everyone else quiet.

I don't think I can hear it, might replace CCT when my MOT is due in April

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Will you two please STOP!!!!!!!!!

Please ignore each other.............. Why is this sooooo hard?!?!?!...