BUYING AN FZ6 w/ Questions

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, I just got into motorcycling this year. I began with an '80s CB, sold up for an '86 fz600. Now that I realize im definitely liking this motorcycle world, I'm looking for something again newer and more powerful.

I've narrowed down to what kind of bike I want and what I want the bike to do for me, and the FZ6 seems to fit the bill. I've ridden r6's gsxr's and a buell 1125r and other more true to the bone sport bike. None have really satisfied me. What I want is something that I can climb on and rack up 300 or 400 or more miles on a day trip... and still feel like I have a body left at the end of the day :)

So that brings me to have a couple questions:
What years did fz6's have any major revision? Are any years better than others?
I see people mention about S1 models and S2 models. Whats the difference? Are these in the U.S. market?
From what I understand there was also a lower horsepower model made with like 75 horse instead of 97hp. Is this the difference betwee the S1 and S2?

Also, what is fair mileage on one of these bikes? I see alot out there with less than 20,000mi. Besides for the obvious chain, sprockets, and tires are there any other issues that I need to be worrying about like electrical issues? Motor issues? with a bike that has more miles on it?

Ok so that was more than just a couple questions... Thanks for any info guys and gals!

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi and welcome had the same questions when I started. The s1 is a 04-06 and has few differences than the 07-09 I read on Wikipedia to figure it out exactly I suggest you do the same, it will clear up the mud. But as for things to worry about on the s2 no major defects the s1 had a problem with the tps sensor. Check out Wikipedia has a detailed break down of specs
And revisions by year. Great bike for commute I do 100 miles a day.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
All US FZ6's have the 95-98 bhp engine. The 2004/2005 had TPS issues and a recall on those. The 2006 does not have the TPS issue...I love my 2006. Some prefer the 2007+ for the painted fender but I think the front fairing looks much nicer on the 2006 model. You be the judge of that.

I'm seeing lots of 2006-2007 FZ6's in my area (mid-atlantic seaboard) with 5-10K miles with ~$4K asking prices and many of those probably sell for $3,500.

There are so many people that buy a bike and barely ride it if I were you I would wait and find one with under 10K miles...there are plenty of those out there.

You can expect to easily get 20,000 miles out of the bike before you have to start looking at maintenance other than oil and chain lube. Many FZ6's have well over 50,000 miles and still running strong!

It's a great bike. I bought my 2006 brand new and would never sell it...super reliable, sexy, comfortable on trips (I have gone 1,800 miles on it in 5 days!) and still getting 50 mpg at 18,000 miles. :thumbup:

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
What years did fz6's have any major revision? Are any years better than others?
I see people mention about S1 models and S2 models. Whats the difference? Are these in the U.S. market?
From what I understand there was also a lower horsepower model made with like 75 horse instead of 97hp. Is this the difference betwee the S1 and S2?

Also, what is fair mileage on one of these bikes? Motor issues? with a bike that has more miles on it?
Welcome to the forums! :welcome:

I would recommend the S2, from what I read, the S2 seemed to have worked out a lot of the "kinks" from the S1 and felt like a more polished product. Plus the swing arm and black engine frame look better. :D I think the low horsepower model is a European thing because you have to get a progressive license there to remove HP restrictions, I could be wrong but I haven't heard of any HP variances in the US market.

Fair mileage all depends on what you want to pay for it! I got my 2008 this year for $3,950 ($4,400 after taxes and registration) and it only had 1,400 miles on it. If you're patient, you can find the right bike for the right price. I wouldn't be worried about the engine, with proper maintenance it's a rock solid engine and some members are planning on hitting the 100k mile mark. :rockon: :cheer:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The main difference between the s1 and s2 are not that noticeable right away. The front plastics got an update. It got an aluminum swing arm instead of the steel one. Different front calipers and I think the front fender changed a little. The rear subframe changed. Don't hold me to it but I'm pretty sure the header got CATs intalled in the actual header in addition to the already existing CAT in the down pipe. Some ECU remapping.

The horsepower differences you asked about are from the FZ6R and the FZ6

The FZ6R is a different bike. It has a steel frame. Full body plastics.
You would love the FZ6 and although I don't have one anymore, every once in a while I get to throw a leg over one and get that feeling again.:D

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Of the two revisions I would definitely go with the latter (07-09). I had an '05 and know own an '09 and aside from the aesthetics, it just seems to be a more refined ride than the earlier version. I also prefer the newer plastics and gauge cluster.

Some of the improvements to the US version:

The FZ6 received optimized fuel injection (FI) system mapping, redesigned fairing and windscreen, new instrument cluster with analog tachometer and digital speedometer (similar to the FZ1), new four-piston monoblock brake calipers for the front brake, alumite-finished front forks with revised damping, a three-way catalytic converter, a new seat design, a new rear swingarm, and new passenger footpegs

You really can't go wrong with either one (make sure any early FZ's you look are TPS issue free).

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the input, especially on the 2007 and later bikes being a more refined bike. Origionally in my sights is a 2004 with 12,000 mi and new tires for $2900. Maybe its worth paying the extra $1000 for an 07 or newer?
Either way, I think it will be a welcome upgrade over my '86 FZ600, wich i love to death, but I dont feel like it would be the best choice for a 2000 mile trip.
Just simply upgrading to something fuel injected and liquid cooled would be a big step into a moder bike for me!

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, it looks like you will keep your old bike with your Fz6 just like i did.

On the left side my 2005 naked converted Fz6 and
on the right my 1992 virago 250 which i've been keeping for 12 years as my first bike.

:rolleyes:

2ytpe9z.jpg

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up my '07 with 2800 miles on it for $3800. Not a screaming deal I guess, but I'm happy to have it at that price.

As far was what was changed on the '07 models, this is what I'm aware of:
updated front brake, different gauges, slightly redesigned front plastics and wind screen* (important info if you want to mod the screen), different fuel-injection programming, and revised swingarm.

By all reports though, you are bound to get a good bike either way.