Broken Givi Topcase Bracket

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I heard some weird noises coming behind, but didn't care until i'm home. Then i suspected the topcase bracket was loose somehow, and i saw that the bracket has broken off from one side.

So, what if i weld it with an arc welder, without taking it out ? Any harm to electrical equipment.

Here is the photo:

givi_001.jpg

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It needs to be pulled and prepped (besides final paint).

I'd strongly suggest TIG welding it, MIG if TIG not available, but NOT arc weld. You'll cook right thru the thin pipe and the heat will warp it.

I'd also slip a piece of pipe or bolt INSIDE both ends before welding to beef it up significantly.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
Arc welding will not solid on topcase rack. Also it's ugly as turd.
I'm recommending tig welding, if you can't find any good tig welders in your area, come and be my guest.

You're lucky because of topcase not dropped down and not locked your rear wheel. Results may be fatal on twisty roads in that case of scenario.

Just curious, how it broken? Did you over tighten the bolts or over loaded? Or misalignment? I'm using same rack and it's rock solid.

Last edited:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for both replies. I ended up with arc welding, instead of your recommendations about Tig. It went well, i guess the thickness is around 2-3mm and material looks like regular steel that can be welded easily.

Here are the photos:

Before paint:

Givi_01.jpg

After paint:

Givi_02.jpg

About how it happened, it wasn't even loaded when happened. It was because of vibration i guess. There was a gap between the topcase and the tray, it was always causing wobbling. That is the cause i guess. I should have tighten the gap between the case and the base tray against any vibration.

Last edited:

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This same break just happened to me. Still within GIVI's 2-year warranty, but they can't replace it because they don't have any in stock.

I am annoyed. The price point of this **** means it shouldn't break.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This same break just happened to me. Still within GIVI's 2-year warranty, but they can't replace it because they don't have any in stock.

I am annoyed. The price point of this **** means it shouldn't break.

No it shouldn't..

They are going to replace it thou once they make one up no?

Sounds like there's stress there just from being bolted tight (ie-something is not dead nuts lined up).
If there's a gap somewhere with the new one, you might want to shim it with a washer or ? ..

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, they're "looking for a solution" but don't seem to have any qualms about replacing it. In the interim I'm afraid to use my topcase though for fear of tearing something else up, and commuting with a backpack suuuuucks.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, they're "looking for a solution" but don't seem to have any qualms about replacing it. In the interim I'm afraid to use my topcase though for fear of tearing something else up, and commuting with a backpack suuuuucks.

Find some steel rod, cut and bend it up some, install in both half's (for now-making "one unit" again)

I'd take some pictures before (if they want the old rack back).

Then, attach a piece of flat steel, (doesn't have to be super heavy duty, the bolts inside are doing that) bolted thru both sides of the rack to help hold it together.

Smaller bolts and self locking nuts are preferred(so as to not stress the rack further).

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Find some steel rod, cut and bend it up some, install in both half's (for now-making "one unit" again)

I'd take some pictures before (if they want the old rack back).

Then, attach a piece of flat steel, (doesn't have to be super heavy duty, the bolts inside are doing that) bolted thru both sides of the rack to help hold it together.

Smaller bolts and self locking nuts are preferred(so as to not stress the rack further).

not 100% sure what you mean. The weld that holds the arm to the main anchor point broke, and I don't have any way to reinforce it without welding. Someone must have let their apprentice welder make this one.

Also, I don't have access to the equipment or materials to do any of that, so it's kind of irrelevant. Pretty much just stuck waiting for GIVI to replace it, or pick up another one used for now if I can find it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
not 100% sure what you mean. The weld that holds the arm to the main anchor point broke, and I don't have any way to reinforce it without welding. Someone must have let their apprentice welder make this one.

Also, I don't have access to the equipment or materials to do any of that, so it's kind of irrelevant. Pretty much just stuck waiting for GIVI to replace it, or pick up another one used for now if I can find it.

I was referencing Fazils broken rack pictures. Apparently yours broke in a different area (not noted till now).

As noted, it's a moot point if you don't have the tools, etc for a quick fix..

Good luck...