BP Ultimate...is it the petrol of choice amongst Aussie's?

What fuel do you use?

• BP Ultimate, and nothing else

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • BP ultimate as a first choice...but will go with other if not available

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Any premium unleaded between 96-98 octane

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • the cheapest unleaded petrol available, as long as i dont run out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Regular unleaded petrol

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
you bad bad person you need to go out and say sorry to your bike and hope it forgives you for neglecting it. Dont let it read this thread or your in deep sh$t.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This has been an interesting thread, I'm motivated to try some different flavours of premium. I normally just use unleaded, but after heaps of people have said they use premium, I feel like a bad owner now! I even used shell unleaded a few times! Damn, I think that could be enough to be charged with Motorcycle Abuse!...LOL

To be completely frank, i dont really notice too much difference, if any difference, in how my bike runs, from one fuel to the next...although i do avoid shell, and those new age greeny blends that are popping up!

cleaner burning fuel has to be better for your bike...so i reckon premium cant be a bad thing, but using regular probably aint such a crime against your combustion chambers either!

:thumbup:

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
To be completely frank, i dont really notice too much difference, if any difference, in how my bike runs, from one fuel to the next...although i do avoid shell, and those new age greeny blends that are popping up!

cleaner burning fuel has to be better for your bike...so i reckon premium cant be a bad thing, but using regular probably aint such a crime against your combustion chambers either!

Yeah I steer clear of the "alcopop" fuels, partly from bad publicity. I use them in the cars from time to time, but not if I can help it.
After nearly 25,000kays I'd guess my combustion chambers could do with a light clean! Now I just need to find the time to ride...Im full time dad now so riding has taken a back seat for a while...

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
you bad bad person you need to go out and say sorry to your bike and hope it forgives you for neglecting it. Dont let it read this thread or your in deep sh$t.

LMAO! I haven't caught my Fazer reading the forums yet...
I'll go out to the shed and spoil her with some polish, she hasn't been pampered for a few months!

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to drive out to the local regional airstrip & fill a few drums with avgas for my race bike. One day the guy asked me what it was for & when I told him he laughed at me & told me his son (big name racer in Oz) used BP ultimate & nothing less.
Since that day its all ive used in my bikes & the wifes car.

Had this discussion on other Aust bike forums & pretty much came to the same conclusion. BP ultimate is a favourite for bike riders in Aust.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had this discussion on other Aust bike forums & pretty much came to the same conclusion. BP ultimate is a favourite for bike riders in Aust.

this was pretty much my suspicion, that BP ultimate was the petrol of choice for Aussie bike riders.....this thread just re-inforces that thought.

Z

Zealadin

This has been an interesting thread, I'm motivated to try some different flavours of premium. I normally just use unleaded, but after heaps of people have said they use premium, I feel like a bad owner now! I even used shell unleaded a few times! Damn, I think that could be enough to be charged with Motorcycle Abuse!...LOL

Well now if we see you on the news, in trouble for flushing your bike down the toilet someone will be coming to visit to talk about bike abuse.

I think using the good premium every few fillups is the way to go because it has additives to clean everything, even if its not 100% of the time.

Z

Zealadin

Shell has the reputation here from every bike dealer and mechanic as basically being about the same as just turning the nozzle on over your bike, giving it a good hosing, and then throwing a match on. I've also been told its avoided like the plague by racers, of all vehicle types.

That being said you might have tighter restrictions or something over your side of the world which forces shell to do the right thing.

fazer513

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use regular unleaded and BP is the primary preference, followed by Mobil, Caltex and will only use Shell if there is nothing else. Outright power is not an issue for the daily commute. I used 98 for a few weeks. This included 3 and 4 day tours and I did not get the magical extra distance per tank my mates were raving about. So back to the 91 and saved the slight difference in the cash. The greatest benefit I got was from balancing the throttle bodies and doing the air filter. :thumbup:

Z

Zealadin

Has anyone else had the wonderful experience of filling up at a reputable dealer lately and suddenly the bike running like crap, and you really have to wonder whether they put E10 in the bloody premium bowser?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone else had the wonderful experience of filling up at a reputable dealer lately and suddenly the bike running like crap, and you really have to wonder whether they put E10 in the bloody premium bowser?

nope.....have heard of such occurences...bad lot of fuel, etc...

what happened?

Z

Zealadin

Oh filled up at a.... Caltex I think it was, got really low before I realised and its the closest one to home (Caltex is the useless woolworths petrol stations right? one of those anyhow)
Since I filled up the bikes been hesitating in the low revs like 3-4krpm, really irritating!

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry dude that is what i was saying someone told me they saw the same place filling the liberty trucks as the caltex woolworths trucks.

b3nje909

Reaction score
Visit site
Caltex Vortex.

It made my old bike Run a billion times faster than any other fuel did. (vtr250)

I have tried shell, and to me its a huge no-no, sounded as if it wished to stall constantly.

tho, in a comparrison, both Ferrari and Ducati recommend shell (ducati bikes have the shell logo on different places on different models around the engine).

But, All fuel on the east coast of Aus, is brought in by Caltex. (Kurnell oil refinary)
I guess they take the best, and dish the rest out to everyone else.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Caltex Vortex.

It made my old bike Run a billion times faster than any other fuel did. (vtr250)

I have tried shell, and to me its a huge no-no, sounded as if it wished to stall constantly.

tho, in a comparrison, both Ferrari and Ducati recommend shell (ducati bikes have the shell logo on different places on different models around the engine).

But, All fuel on the east coast of Aus, is brought in by Caltex. (Kurnell oil refinary)
I guess they take the best, and dish the rest out to everyone else.

Sorta forgot about Vortex...but your right, it seems to agree with the bike, from my experience the few times i have used it...not many Caltex Servo's out my way.

Z

Zealadin

The place I got my first bike from is a Ducati/Triumph dealership and say to steer clear of shell, and that no race teams use it
They do advertise with Shell (the ducati brand), but after all the bad rep Shell has I haven't heard a reputable dealer do anything except say to totally avoid it at all costs.

Dylan

Reaction score
Visit site
I know that for carburetted dirtbikes, shell is death. Supposedly it was designed for efi engines, however with the amount of ppl who say their Fz's run like crap on it, I'll surely be staying away. E10 is also crap, apparently it burns way too hot and causes scoring in the cylinders - (not exactly sure how this works, as i thought the point of higher octane = hotter burning) anway, i remember my lawnmoer mechanic showing me a one yr old mower engine that had blown due to being run on E10 the whole time.
IMHO (as the waterboys mum would say) E10 is the devil! :thumbup:

Last edited: