Bluetooth headset

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I want to get something in my helmet to pair with my zuo 550, any suggestions? I have been using earbuds but the wire is kind of annoying. I was thinking of just getting a jabra street2 bluetooth adapter but not sure if I want to be able to answer calls. Not really the best idea I don't think. However I also realized the bluetooth on the 550 is mono so need to get an a2dp adapter to plug into it.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
With my Zumo 550 I use a plantronics bluetooth set similar to this one.
The receiver is not much bigger than a large USB stick. I put it in my inside pocket and run one of the earbuds up to the ear on that side, it has an extra clip which I secure to my jacket. I've had it for about 3 years now and it's still going strong. I must admit I don't listen to music so sound quality is not important to me (only clarity of voice commands). If you don't find the earbuds comfortable you can easily replace them, as they simply plug in.
I'm very pleased with it and it does what I want :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I only have experience with SENA SMH10. I pair it with my phone for music and to know if someone's calling me (I usually don't answer while I'm riding). It also gives me navigation prompts if I use google navigation via phone.
It works quite well. Of course it's also a bike-to-bike intercom if your buddies have the same system.

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the SENA SMH-5 which is very similar to the SMH-10 except that it is less expensive and has less of the intercom bells-and-whistles. If your only need is a Bluetooth headset and you don't see any multi-rider intercom sessions in your usage, the SMH-5 might be better for you.

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the SENA SMH-5. I just got it this week to replace my illegal use of earbuds for music. I will admit that the sound quality suffers a bit, especially the bass, but it is more comfortable and probably a bit safer.

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds unanimous :) So from what I gather the 5 is smaller and doesn't require the bracket but can't plug in ear buds and can't connect to multiple devices (which is fine because my phone connects through my zumo). However can the 5 connect to multiple other riders? I figure of most of you have the Sena when/if we get up and ride we can chat.

I found this:
difference-between-sena-smh5-and-smh10.jpg

Hopefully someone who has some experience can highlight the limitations the 5 has with phone and intercom conference (not sure what that means).

Also how is the audio quality for music? I just read a review that compares it to $5 headphones that come with a music player. Also this:

"Audio Quality: The audio quality of the Sena SMH5 is good, but not on par with the SMH10 speakers or those used by other manufacturers for their headsets. The differences become clear when playing my standard test set of songs from the same playback device used for other intercom reviews.

The supplied SMH5 headset speakers don’t lack clarity and for intercom use and general music streaming they are well-scaled. But for many, the optional SMH5-A0305 Large Speakers will be the preferred solution.

Volume Levels: As noted above, overall volume output is less than the Sena SMH10B system and less than most other Bluetooth systems; a conscious trade-off acknowledged by Sena although I don’t see it as a critical limitation for intended applications."

Last edited:

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds unanimous :) So from what I gather the 5 is smaller and doesn't require the bracket but can't plug in ear buds and can't connect to multiple devices (which is fine because my phone connects through my zumo). However can the 5 connect to multiple other riders? I figure of most of you have the Sena when/if we get up and ride we can chat.

I found this:
difference-between-sena-smh5-and-smh10.jpg

Hopefully someone who has some experience can highlight the limitations the 5 has with phone and intercom conference (not sure what that means).

Also how is the audio quality for music? I just read a review that compares it to $5 headphones that come with a music player. Also this:

"Audio Quality: The audio quality of the Sena SMH5 is good, but not on par with the SMH10 speakers or those used by other manufacturers for their headsets. The differences become clear when playing my standard test set of songs from the same playback device used for other intercom reviews.

The supplied SMH5 headset speakers don’t lack clarity and for intercom use and general music streaming they are well-scaled. But for many, the optional SMH5-A0305 Large Speakers will be the preferred solution.

Volume Levels: As noted above, overall volume output is less than the Sena SMH10B system and less than most other Bluetooth systems; a conscious trade-off acknowledged by Sena although I don’t see it as a critical limitation for intended applications."

The SMH-5 doesn't have a standard audio jack but some weird Sena construct I haven't seen anywhere else. So you're right in that the SMH-10 probably has much better sound quality. Personally I only use my headset for GPS Navigation directions and not for music but I can definitely believe that music sounds pretty terrible through it. I can definitely attest to the fact that the volume range is very high and I've never felt I was anywhere close to having the instructions drown out over engine noise.

I think the SMH-10 definitely has more bluetooth channels available to it so more devices can be paired without sharing the same channel for multiple devices and running the risk of dropping communication.

Regarding multi-point intercom, I think there's only 1 dedicated intercom channel on the SMH-5, so only 2 people can communicate at once. The SMH-10 allows 4 ppl to be paired multi-point at once.

Hope this helps.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a autocom to tie all my goodies together. (Zumo 550, radar, Bluetooth) works good. I like the ability to make phone calls while riding. The Zumo 550 is a good unit to have.

Doc

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok think I'm set on the smh5-fm found it for $105. Missed out on the pair for sale here today :( Quick question I have a couple full face helmets I switch between which mic should I get? I was thinking with the full face mic maybe I could use Velcro? Anyone with one switch helmets and what do you do?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Goop and I are looking to buy the new SMH10r bluetooth units. It's time for me to get that big a$$ chatterbox off my helmet! :)