Blew motor need motor casings

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
how long were you at that speed? I thought that the bike was governed to 150 mph.

I am POSITIVE the bike isnt governed by anything other than its own horsepower, I think Nelly is due to chime in on that, just look at his avatar lol

but to the OP the motor should not have grenaded at that speed....with 33,333 on my clock as of earlier tonight, my bike has been held at redline in 5th/6th for give or take 15 miles, (dont ask, just know it was called for)
( http://www.600riders.com/forum/bar/49748-ever-been-bullied-story-time.html ) , drag raced and hotlapped for 2 seasons now and she has held together like a true champ. The FZ is truly a TOUGH bike, so id suspect there was an oil problem, cct, or something that could possibly have been foreseen. (not blaming you, just stating)

If you were close I would 100% help you put it back together, I have built a few motors in my day ;) lol

best of luck with your searches!!!

fire561

Reaction score
Visit site
Very Private I hope, but I am curious for the top end run and how long were you at that speed? I thought that the bike was governed to 150 mph.
I have an uncle with a very large farm and a straight flat asphalt 6 mile long section road right down the middle

fire561

Reaction score
Visit site
I am POSITIVE the bike isnt governed by anything other than its own horsepower, I think Nelly is due to chime in on that, just look at his avatar lol but to the OP the motor should not have grenaded at that speed....with 33,333 on my clock as of earlier tonight, my bike has been held at redline in 5th/6th for give or take 15 miles, (dont ask, just know it was called for) ( http://www.600riders.com/forum/bar/49748-ever-been-bullied-story-time.html ) , drag raced and hotlapped for 2 seasons now and she has held together like a true champ. The FZ is truly a TOUGH bike, so id suspect there was an oil problem, cct, or something that could possibly have been foreseen. (not blaming you, just stating) If you were close I would 100% help you put it back together, I have built a few motors in my day ;) lol best of luck with your searches!!!

It probably was something preventable I'm somewhat new to motorcycles especially mechanically. I keep the chain clean and lubed and keep the oil changed every few thousand miles. Was about to have her services, because I did just put about 8,500 miles on her in 2 months. :p

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
my best guess would be that the cct failed and the valvetrain met the pistons in a very inappropriate way.....but like I said, just a wild stab..

these motors are very reliable, many people abuse the fz6/r6 on a daily basis and they come back for more, I hope you get the needed parts soon and get her back on the road as quickly as possible!!! I cant imagine if my bike were down for even a week (she's my primary transportation), a motor is well worth the mpg's I save over my car in even 10,000 miles let alone over 30,000+ miles.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 screw the case, just get a whole used motor....but theres someone who fitted a R6 motor into our frame, so that may be worth checking out.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am POSITIVE the bike isnt governed by anything other than its own horsepower, I think Nelly is due to chime in on that, just look at his avatar lol

but to the OP the motor should not have grenaded at that speed....with 33,333 on my clock as of earlier tonight, my bike has been held at redline in 5th/6th for give or take 15 miles, (dont ask, just know it was called for)
( http://www.600riders.com/forum/bar/49748-ever-been-bullied-story-time.html ) , drag raced and hotlapped for 2 seasons now and she has held together like a true champ. The FZ is truly a TOUGH bike, so id suspect there was an oil problem, cct, or something that could possibly have been foreseen. (not blaming you, just stating)

If you were close I would 100% help you put it back together, I have built a few motors in my day ;) lol

best of luck with your searches!!!
I was doing a speedo healer calibration and at that speed for probably 15 - 20 seconds. I wasn't timing how long it took to get there. The bike is not governed.
The engine is pretty bullet proof with regular oil and filter changes and likes to be revved. I didn't screw it in every gear to do my top speed run just rolled it on and hid behind the screen.

Nelly

Pagey

Tiger Boy
Reaction score
Visit site
I was doing a speedo healer calibration and at that speed for probably 15 - 20 seconds. I wasn't timing how long it took to get there. The bike is not governed.
The engine is pretty bullet proof with regular oil and filter changes and likes to be revved. I didn't screw it in every gear to do my top speed run just rolled it on and hid behind the screen.

Nelly

So was the speed on your avatar after the calibration ?????

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a whole spare motor under 12k miles comes with aluminum chunks in the oil pan!

The FZ6 is only governed by lack of power I have ran top speed for over 20miles straight! That was on my old 05!

So what let loose in your motor?

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
A bit fuzzy but camera quality was not as good a decade ago lol I am surprised I lived this long!

Disclaimer pic was taken in Mexico

fire561

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry I was on vacation for 2 weeks and to keep from getting more upset about the situation. But to bring everyone up to speed I was at 150-154 for about 5 miles and was just trying to get it to roll to 155 and I was going to back off! It probably was preventable but I'm about the least mechanically inclined person I know. I put almost 10k miles on her in 2 and a half months with 3 oil changes and lubed the chain once a week or more if I was in rain so I was also surprised it blew because the bike has less than 20k on the OD.